134a Refrigerant

Old July 12th 05, 09:31 PM
BillyRay

Everclear. 195 pfoof

Old July 12th 05, 09:35 PM
jeff

BillyRay wrote:
> Close but no. Miscibility only is a reference to the solutions ability to
> mix. The answer is the alcohol molecules are smaller than water molecules
> and some will "fit" in between the water molecules
>
> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>BillyRay wrote:
>>
>>>How come when you mix a cup of alcohol and a cup of water you get LESS
>>>than 2 cups of the mixed materials?

>>Miscibility.

I disagree. Molecule size has nothing to do with it. Consider that there
is a large difference in molecule size between oil and water molecules
so they should fit comfortably between each other, but because they are
immiscible the mixed volume stays the same and no mater how hard you
shake it, there are still two separate phases. Read the following three
definitions. The key to complete miscibility is the ability to form a
single phase solution.

1) immiscible. immiscibility.
Two liquids are considered "immiscible" or unmixable if shaking equal
volumes of the liquids together results in a meniscus visible between
two layers of liquid. If the liquids are completely immiscible, the
volumes of the liquid layers are the same as the volumes of liquids
orginally added to the mixture.

2) miscible. miscibility; liquid miscibility.
Two liquids are considered "miscible" or mixable if shaking them
together results in a single liquid phase, with no meniscus visible
between layers of liquid.

3) partial miscibility.
Two liquids are considered partially miscible if shaking equal volumes
of the liquids together results in a meniscus visible between two layers
of liquid, but the volumes of the layers are not identical to the
volumes of the liquids originally added.

--
jeff
Old July 12th 05, 11:07 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Geez, I guess you never had to add and additive (alcohol) to your
gas tank to suck up water, to pass it though the system.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 13th 05, 12:06 AM
BillyRay

Jeff, This is America and you certainly have the right to disagree. You
also have the right to be wrong which is good in this case as you are
incorrect in your disagreement.

I will refer you to this page from the Argonne National Labrotory where this
question is answered by the Science, Math, and Computer Science Education
Department for a 8 year old..
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03197.htm

Old July 13th 05, 04:16 AM
Stephen Cowell

"L.W. (=DFill) Hughes III" > wrote in message =
> You want to know why our Earth keeps spinning and the comet we
> just hit doesn't? We have a molten iron core which is discribe by many
> as a dynamo, it generates gravity, you probably think it's relative to
> electromagnetics somewhere above eleventh dimension, quantum =

mechanics,
> and string theories. I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.=20

Bill, adjust the foil, you're losing your edge!
__
Steve
..

Old July 13th 05, 04:20 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message =
> 1 + 1 =3D 2. 2 is heavier than 1.
>=20
> "Stephen Cowell" > wrote in message=20
> . ..
>=20
> "Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message=20
> > Nathan, quick question...if you mix two compounds, the sum of the =

two
> > compounds by definition would be heavier, but would the mixture be =

heavier
> > per unit volume?

>=20
> Heavier than the components summed individually?
> Perhaps you can tell us where the extra weight
> comes from!

2 is not heavier than 1+1... that's the point.

Original post:
>yeah no ****! refrigerant is a compound, a=20
>MIXTURE and when you add up all=20
>the components they are heavier than=20
>the individual components.

For one thing, Freon is not a 'mixture'... that's
the wrong term. Freon is a chemical compound...
and the combined components are not heavier
than the original components. Basic chemistry.
__
Steve
..

Old July 13th 05, 04:22 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Nathan W. Collier" > wrote in message =
> "Stephen Cowell" > wrote in message=20
> . ..
> >> yeah no ****! refrigerant is a compound, a MIXTURE and when you =

add up=20
> >> all
> >> the components they are heavier than the individual components.

>=20
> > STOP!!! STOP NOW!!!! I'm gonna **** all over myself!

>=20
> TRANSLATION --> "youre right"

No really... too funny!

> > Re-read your opener above... then hide for a few months.

>=20
> lol...this coming from someone who cannot define "mix" LOL! :-)

Read my previous post re mixtures and compounds...
you've a lot to learn, grashopper!
__
Steve
..

Old July 13th 05, 04:39 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Nathan W. Collier" > wrote in message =
> "Stephen Cowell" > wrote in message=20
> . ..

> >> but i did. i told you that your statement was WRONG.

>=20
> > Pretty lame stuff... got anything better?

>=20
> TRANSLATION --> "i have no valid response" :-)

No, you don't have to translate... your
**** is weak.

> > Refrigeration not part of HVAC?

>=20
> nope. thats what you get for asking your sisters husbands brother.=20

How about Google?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den...&client=3D f=
irefox-a&rls=3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial&oi=3Ddefmore&q=3Ddefine:HVAC

>=20
> > You claim that
> > your use of the TLA 'HMC' in a sentence was
> > meant to imply *nothing at all*

>=20
> exactly. since you were claiming to know so much about the hvac =

industry i=20
> threw out an industry term to watch you choke on it.

Well, describe how I 'choked'... that is, *after* you
gave the *brand name* definition for 'HMC'.

>=20
> .....and it was a pleasure. :-)
>=20
>=20
> > Rabbit

>=20
> nope. my usage of tar-baby is nothing more than to reflect you as a=20
> worthless stool.

Then why are you all covered in tar, with
a goofy grin on your face? Use a literary
device, expect the entire package used back.
Just like your 'brand name' faux pas...

> > So Freon(tm) is not a compound, but HeadMaster(tm)
> > is not a brand? How your head spins!

>=20
> TRANSLATION --> "red herring". i never said that an HMC was or was =

not a=20
> brand or anything else. i just threw out the term knowing you would =

choke=20
> on it.

TRANSLATION--> "I'd better back away from that one!"

Actually, I don't give a **** *what* you think you said
about any HMC... it's a brand name, and Freon's
a compound, and you're stuck with it!

I actually gave a pretty good explanation of how it
could be used... without asking anyone. Then you
didn't reply in kind... because you didn't dare.

> > I made educated guesses without using
> > Google

>=20
> TRANSLATION --> "i asked my sisters husbands brother"=20

I asked nobody... and you can't prove otherwise.
I must have come pretty close, since you won't
get very close to discussing it.
=20
> > evidently I got pretty close

>=20
> TRANSLATION --> "i missed it by a mile" :

Describe it for us! You've been avoiding it!
I *gave* you the explanation from the Google
results... or are you saying that was wrong too?
__
Steve
..

Old July 13th 05, 04:46 AM
Stephen Cowell

"L.W. (=DFill) Hughes III" > wrote in message =
> Stevie, I can't believe you can asked the same stupid question over, =

and
> over again! You must have bought your diploma from a school like
> Berkeley we saw on television the other day. OK, once again the answer
> is: everyone knows except apparently you the winds blow away from the
> equator to the west, west, north in our northern hemisphere and just =

the
> opposite on the other side of the equator, to the east, east, south.
> This proves all bleeding heart liberals are liars, for overlooking =

that
> fact, in their attempt to blame American's chlorofluorocarbons for the
> ozone holes in the southern hemisphere. Physically impossible!=20

So if I go stand on the Equator, then magically the air from
the North side will only blow North, and the air from the
South side will only blow South? What about the vacuum
in between? And what keeps the air one foot north from
mixing with the air one foot south? And what about mid-
Spring or Fall, and the Sun is at vertex at one of the
Tropics? Have you ever seen the Analemma, Bill?
It means that the Sun is not always directly overhead
at the Equator... it goes back and forth. This creates
high and low pressure zones on different sides of the
Equator... and we know what that means!

What if I breathe air one foot north, then walk over
and breathe it out one foot south? Will an Atmospheric
Policeman stop me?
__
Steve
..

Old July 13th 05, 04:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Their volume may be less than their sum separated, such as water
and alcohol, mixed:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem03197.htm BillyRay,
found this in terms an eight year old could understand.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/