arca racing and nr2003 comparison

Old April 5th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jim C

Default arca racing and nr2003 comparison

I'm thinking about buy arca racing and would like to get peoples opinons how
it compares to nr2k3. I love the "realizm" factor of NR, setup options,
online driving, and driveability of the cars (they can be somewhat of a
handful when loose). I still think NR is the best Nascar sim. Thanks for
your input.

Old April 6th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jack[_15_]

Jim C wrote:
> I'm thinking about buy arca racing and would like to get peoples opinons how
> it compares to nr2k3. I love the "realizm" factor of NR, setup options,
> online driving, and driveability of the cars (they can be somewhat of a
> handful when loose). I still think NR is the best Nascar sim. Thanks for
> your input.

The drivability,car control,online racing is better in ARCA,the user
interface,graphics, are better in NR2003.
Setup options are more in ARCA,but also more confusing. Arca seems to
have more of a connection to the track whereas NR2003 seems to be like
driving on ice. The car feel,sense of speed ,are better in ARCA. BUT!
there are many bugs in ARCA right now,you can loose sound and controller
settings at random times,ARCA is a FPS hog,you can loose ability to
connect online(fixed with a file edit) but when fixed it can happen
again.The lucky dog does not function properly,visible damage to cars is
nonexistent,pit times are not adjusted for fixing damage. Those are just
a few off the top of my head.Arca could be great sim,but we'll have to
wait for the first patch and see if TSF is really dedicated to this sim.
I will say I'm glad I got it,I'm having a ball racing online with it,and
really hope TSF is dedicated.
Old April 7th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 2:15*pm, "Jim C" > wrote:
> I'm thinking about buy arca racing and would like to get peoples opinons how
> it compares to nr2k3.

I can't say anything bad about N2003. I was just never able to get
hooked on it when it came out. I've tried it again a few times over
the years, but still couldn't get into it. There was something
sterile about it where the car felt disconnected from the track. ARCA
is completely different to me.

> I love the "realizm" factor of NR, setup options,
> online driving, and driveability of the cars (they can be somewhat of a
> handful when loose). *

I find ARCA to be much more realistic in ways that are most important
to me.

First of all, the car responds to changes the way you would expect. I
find that when real-world ideas and concepts about car setup are
applied in ARCA you get substantial improvements. I don't just mean
in changing the handling response of the car in terms of dialing in
understeer or oversteer. I've repeatedly found that I can come up
with an abstract idea about a setup change that should improve some
aspect of the car, like improving speed, tire wear, stability, etc.
Then when I set down and make the changes in the sim, I get real,
positive, expected results. I've never found this in another sim.

Along that same line, I haven't seen any sort of setup 'exploit' that
gains speed for no apparent reason. In past sims it always seemed
like coming up with fast setups required trying random things that
didn't necessarily make any sense just to see if it's faster. When
speed is found there is no rhyme or reason to it. So far in ARCA this
approach doesn't seem to work at all.

Another thing is that a really bad setup will not work for more than a
few laps. The car has to be finely balanced to be good for a full
fuel run. If not tire wear will kill you to the point where the car
can be undriveable after a few laps.

Similarly the tires in ARCA are very unforgiving to abuse. Reasonable
driving technique is absolutely necessary in this sim.

ARCA is awesome online. The worst thing I've seen is interruptions in
the connection to the servers. It seems to happen most often when
there are 30+ drivers on a server. It's not a warp exactly. The good
thing is that when it does happen it's only for a second or two, and I
have yet to see it interfere with the race proceedings. I have yet to
see a warp-related crash.

When the connection is smooth you can bump and rub all day long
without problems. Cars are no longer launched into the stratosphere.
It's not too different from rFactor in this regard. You can do close
racing online with confidence.

All of this is what I expected it to be based on what I saw in beta
testing. Sim Factory seemed to concentrate most on the driving and
setup aspect of the sim. They went over and over the tire models and
driving characteristics of the cars to get realistic driveability and
performance. That work shows in how conscientious you have to be in
your car setup and driving approach. To me all the other small
details of the sim that might not be perfect pale in comparison to how
nice it is to tune and drive these cars.

> I still think NR is the best Nascar sim. *

Based on what? Have you actually tried? I completely disagree.

Pat Dotson
Old April 7th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

NR2003 still is the best Oval Sim IMHO.

ARCA is ok, and is the better of all the ISI based sim's, but it's still an
ISI based sim.

I don't think we will truly have a replacement for NR2003 until someone
steps up and actually writes one from scratch without depending on the ISI
engine.

-Larry

m...

Old April 7th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Amazing how I feel just the opposite

-Larry

. ..

Old April 7th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

A agree with some of this regarding NR2003. The setup 'cheats' were an
issue from the start, and I have no doubt they would have been fixed by
Papy, but then Sierra screwed us all over and we never saw anything past the
first major patch

This is the main reason I always preferred fixed-setup racing. Everyone is
on the same level.

Still, I think it's not been beat. Yet.

-Larry

Old April 7th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> ARCA is ok, and is the better of all the ISI based sim's, but it's still an ISI based sim.

So does this (being an ISI based sim) mean the replays are still missing stuff,
like tire scrubb sounds?

Old April 8th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer[_2_]

On Apr 7, 11:12*am, "Larry" > wrote:

> I don't think we will truly have a replacement for NR2003 until someone
> steps up and actually writes one from scratch without depending on the ISI
> engine.

So basically whenever iRacing comes out?
Old April 8th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

Setup cheats??? Please explain!

Old April 8th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

You've never had your ass kicked by some punk in a car 10mph faster than
anyone elses?

If so, that's how

I was in a California race once and on the last lap some ass passed like 7
cars in turn 4 on the outside doing like 210mph and won the race.

I don't know the in's and out's of it however.

-Larry

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> When the connection is smooth you can bump and rub all day long
>> without problems. Cars are no longer launched into the stratosphere.
>> It's not too different from rFactor in this regard. You can do close
>> racing online with confidence.
>>
>> All of this is what I expected it to be based on what I saw in beta
>> testing. Sim Factory seemed to concentrate most on the driving and
>> setup aspect of the sim. They went over and over the tire models and
>> driving characteristics of the cars to get realistic driveability and
>> performance. That work shows in how conscientious you have to be in
>> your car setup and driving approach. To me all the other small
>> details of the sim that might not be perfect pale in comparison to how
>> nice it is to tune and drive these cars.
>>
>>> I still think NR is the best Nascar sim.

>> Based on what? Have you actually tried? I completely disagree.

"Hey Pat Dotson, Can I Try Yer Setup?" - ARCA Sim Racing [email protected] Simulators 35 April 23rd 08 02:26 PM
ARCA Sim Racing [email protected] Simulators 6 March 20th 08 12:48 PM
Arca Sim Racing Don Schwartz Jr Simulators 2 January 2nd 08 01:58 PM
NR2003 Nascar Racing Mr T Simulators 9 September 8th 07 02:42 PM
UltraForce Simulators Announces GS-3 Support for Sim Factory's ARCA/Remax Series Racing Simulator [email protected] Simulators 8 July 5th 07 01:53 PM