Paint stripping or not?

Old October 26th 04, 03:38 PM
MB

Default Paint stripping or not?

I have read a ton on here about stripping paint off to metal or not
for a total respray etc.

1. First method mentioned is chemical strip to metal
2. Second methed mentioned is blasting - plastic, walnut shells, sand
etc
3. Third method - sanding pads etc
4. Some even noted NOT to remove to metal but to sand/wet sand the
current paint etc to get it ready for new paint

Questions:

1. What do you all think is the best method?
2. Where would I find a quality book/manual for stripping/preparing
body for new paint on any of the above methods?
3. Assuming that #2 is the 'best' method/way to go - how would you
proceed on finding a shop to complete this process?

Thanks - a newbie looking for some help

matt
Old October 26th 04, 03:44 PM
Ben Boyle

Chemical stripping. Less chance of a beginner warping the panels and you get to go from the ground up. You have no idea
when the old paint may decide to finally give it up.

Old October 26th 04, 07:52 PM
bug '59

Whatever you do, strip to the metal...
I'm told that the old paint (containing lead) is different to the new
synthetic paint so there is a chance of pealing or something like that.

I had the frame sandblasted and then a layer of sinc burned on, finally it
was sprayed 2 times altough once was enough.
The body was sent to a bodyrepair shop and they sanded it to the metal,
sprayed for about 6 or 8 layers on it (different primers and double colour
for extra dept or so)

Sandblasting is relatively cheap but watch out for blasting holes in the
body panels!!
I'm not familiar with chemical stripping, sounds good if you have the
time... but then again you should take your time restoring a classic car.

HTH
Roger

Old October 26th 04, 09:54 PM
vwluvrs

Strip it to bare metal, with chemicals (cheapest) or media blasting.
You *NEVER* know what you'll find under that old paint!
Go to our Webshots albums to see our 1958 as it is stripped, and what we
*found*

Heres the links..........

album one here http://community.webshots.com/album/44561848CIrDCh
album two here http://community.webshots.com/album/192965834DSKVig
Old October 27th 04, 02:16 AM
Kafertoys

>Strip it to bare metal, with chemicals (cheapest) or media blasting.
>You *NEVER* know what you'll find under that old paint!

WOW
two things you went to the trouble of striping it to bare metal then maaco
paints it I feel for you. truly

I'm sending restorations out to be chemically dipped to strip and derust(is
that a word?) I have done a lot of cars and can tell you nothing beats clean
metal.

Mario
Old October 27th 04, 02:43 AM
Nate Nagel

Kafertoys wrote:

>>Strip it to bare metal, with chemicals (cheapest) or media blasting.
>>You *NEVER* know what you'll find under that old paint!

> WOW
> two things you went to the trouble of striping it to bare metal then maaco
> paints it I feel for you. truly
>
> I'm sending restorations out to be chemically dipped to strip and derust(is
> that a word?) I have done a lot of cars and can tell you nothing beats clean
> metal.
>
> Mario

Where do you do this? Do they also dip the parts in a primer when
clean? What kind of primer?

(there's a reason I'm asking this, not exactly VW related - see thread
on rec.autos.tech if you care)

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 27th 04, 02:55 AM
Kafertoys

>Where do you do this?
Chem Strip in Burlington NC
Do they also dip the parts in a primer when
>clean?yes What kind of primer? I couldn't even come close to spelling the

name of the primer but I think it's a zink base. I will have pics of the next
car that comes back.

Mario

Old October 27th 04, 02:57 AM
jjs

>Strip it to bare metal, with chemicals (cheapest) or media blasting.
>You *NEVER* know what you'll find under that old paint!

Yep. It's scarey. My bug's got so much old paint I'm afraid Jimmy Hoffa's
under there.

Old October 27th 04, 02:59 AM
Nate Nagel

Kafertoys wrote:

>>Where do you do this?

> Chem Strip in Burlington NC
> Do they also dip the parts in a primer when
>
>>clean?yes What kind of primer? I couldn't even come close to spelling the

> name of the primer but I think it's a zink base. I will have pics of the next
> car that comes back.
>
> Mario

I'm a-gonna have to check that out. Especially if it's a zinc primer.
That sounds like the cat's behind for what I need to do (I have some NOS
fenders for one of my "other" cars - which are notorious for rusting out
in an inaccessable area behind a brace which is part of the fender
itself and would be fairly difficult to remove and replace without
destroying the fender.

nate

Old October 27th 04, 03:12 AM
Kafertoys

>I'm a-gonna have to check that out. Especially if it's a zinc primer.
>That sounds like the cat's behind for what I need to do (I have some NOS
>fenders for one of my "other" cars - which are notorious for rusting out
>in an inaccessable area behind a brace which is part of the fender
>itself and would be fairly difficult to remove and replace without
>destroying the fender.
>
>nate

Its Carolina Chem Strip
348 MacArthur ln Burlington NC 27217
# 584 5613 ask for jimmy

If you have them do it, let me know I will try to get you my price on
stripping.

Mario