Bush speech on energy policy today

Old April 27th 05, 08:41 PM
223rem

Default Bush speech on energy policy today

More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
What a moron.
Old April 27th 05, 08:44 PM
John Harlow

223rem wrote:
> More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
> no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
> What a moron.

I liked his proposal for a tax incentive to promote telecommuting.

Old April 27th 05, 08:58 PM
Furious George

John Harlow wrote:
> 223rem wrote:
> > More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
> > no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
> > What a moron.

> I liked his proposal for a tax incentive to promote telecommuting.

If it's such a great idea, then how come it needs incentivizing?

Old April 27th 05, 09:45 PM
John Harlow

Furious George wrote:
> John Harlow wrote:
>> 223rem wrote:
>>> More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
>>> no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
>>> What a moron.

>> I liked his proposal for a tax incentive to promote telecommuting.

> If it's such a great idea, then how come it needs incentivizing?

It won't after it becomes the standard for white collar work. We just need
the boost to get rid of the old "have to see a body" management style.

Old April 27th 05, 10:22 PM
Magnulus

"223rem" > wrote in message
> More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
> no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
> What a moron.

Detroit is going to rue the day they fought fuel efficiency. They are
going to be utterly trashed by the Japanese and Korean auto industries in
the years ahead. All the politicians who veto legislation against
increasing corporate average fuel economy for trucks and SUV's aren't doing
automakers any favors, quite the contrary, they are just digger a deeper
grave.

Of course, the ditto heads out there will probably blame the "libruls" for
destroying the auto industry in the US. Blame everybody but the people
responsable.

Old April 27th 05, 10:27 PM
Magnulus

The real problem is the suburban American way of life, that has to come
to an end. The acres and acres of nothing but ticky tacky houses and
developements. Suburbs hurt mass transit, and mass transit would be the
easiest way to reduce fuel consumption in the US- assuming we didn't have so
many people living in suburbs (America has almostas many cars as people,
which is rare even for an industrialized country).

I think some elements of "smart growth" are the way to go. You aren't
going to be able to axe the automobile culture overnight, but they
definitely need to stop the sprawling developements and have more mixed use
areas.

Another thing that is going to cause increase in oil demand in the US-
illegal immigrants (who often drive cars anyways). But Republicans have
flip flopped on that one too. They used to be against illegal immigration,
now the corporations have gotten total control, they are peachy with the
cheap supply of labor from south of the border.

Old April 27th 05, 10:49 PM
fbloogyuds

"223rem" > wrote
> More pie in the sky bull**** about hydrogen cars,
> no mention of increasing fuel efficiency standards.
> What a moron

The reports I've heard/seen say that he *did* mention extending the
tax credits for hybrid cars, and mentioned development of diesel-hybrids
(using low-sulfer fuel so they're clean). Both of those are Good Things
IMHO.

Floyd

Old April 28th 05, 12:05 AM
Dave Head

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:27:56 -0400, "Magnulus" > wrote:

> The real problem is the suburban American way of life, that has to come
>to an end.

Bull.... ****. I've got my acre to do with what I please, and am not going to
some high-priced postage stamp in the city. Or worse, a damn apartment or
condo where I have to be worried about making too much noise, or hearing too
much noise.

>The acres and acres of nothing but ticky tacky houses and
>developements.

You don't like it, you don't have to live there. Don't think for a second you
are right to attempt to prevent someone else from doing so if they desire it.

>Suburbs hurt mass transit,

It couldn't happen to a nicer system. Mass transit sucks, in case you haven't
noticed. Can't go and come when you want to. Can't eat, drink, smoke, play
your music (headphones don't count), or most anything else on a train or a bus.

>and mass transit would be the
>easiest way to reduce fuel consumption in the US- assuming we didn't have so
>many people living in suburbs (America has almostas many cars as people,
>which is rare even for an industrialized country).

Mass transit is anything be easy, or cheap. None of 'em make enough money to
support themselves.

> I think some elements of "smart growth" are the way to go.

You can do it yourself. Don't expect my company, as I won't be there.

> You aren't
>going to be able to axe the automobile culture overnight, but they
>definitely need to stop the sprawling developements and have more mixed use
>areas.

Screw that. Figure out a way to make cars more efficient, that's all. Yeah,
you could load 'em onto some kind of high speed mass transit, and get some
positive return with that, but that don't look like its happening any time
soon. The car is the cornerstone of freedom in this country - without it,
you're stranded. You aren't going anywhere after the midnight movie by "mass
transit", as its all shut down for maintenance betwen 1 and 7 am or somesuch
on a weekend. If it isn't, you'll have to wait a half hour for it to arrive
and a half hour at each of 2 transfers. No thanks.

> Another thing that is going to cause increase in oil demand in the US-
>illegal immigrants (who often drive cars anyways).

Yep.

>But Republicans have
>flip flopped on that one too.

Democrats ignore it too. Neither part wants to touch it.

>They used to be against illegal immigration,
>now the corporations have gotten total control, they are peachy with the
>cheap supply of labor from south of the border.

Yeah, its about the cheap labor, all right. The minuteman project's next
target is employers, as its a Federal felony to hire illegal aliens. This may
be the way to go, and get an organized group turning in these employers, and
ensuring prosecution.

Dave Head
Old April 28th 05, 12:32 AM
Magnulus

Roads are subsidized too. The federal gas tax did not originally pay for
the interstate highways.

Mass transit might suck in many places in the US, but other places it is
very good (Washington DC, for instance).

Old April 28th 05, 12:35 AM
Magnulus

"fbloogyuds" > wrote in message
> The reports I've heard/seen say that he *did* mention extending the
> tax credits for hybrid cars, and mentioned development of diesel-hybrids
> (using low-sulfer fuel so they're clean). Both of those are Good Things
> IMHO.

The House did not pass either provision for hybrids or diesel tax credits.

Hybrid cars are a diversion, and would be a tax break to rich people who
buy hybrid cars without really giving incentives for automakers to build all
their cars and trucks more efficiently.