QUestion on rearview mirror replacement

Old June 5th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default QUestion on rearview mirror replacement

Hello

The rear view mirror on my 92 XLT just fell off (79,000 miles on the truck
and it's still like new - except for the mirror). I've checked all the old
posts and the former Singleton site and don't see anything on this
particular issue:

When the mirror fell off, it left like a little plastic shoe that's still
stuck to the windshield. I first thought it was leftover glue, but it looks
like a perfectly formed plastic thing that was glued to the windshield
first. Am I wrong? Is that glue? If not, should I first try to remove it or
restick the mirror directly to it?

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old June 5th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On my 92 there is a little metal piece that the mirror is attached to and
secured with a set screw.
If you have the same setup, remove the metal piece from the mirror mount.
scrape of the old glue from the windshield after you put a piece of tape on
the outside to mark the right position. Then the metal hunk gets glued back
on .
Be sure you put the metal holder on right side up. There is a taper to it.
I used to use the aftermarket glue that is sold to reattach the mirror but
it has never lasted very long. Th last time I used a clear epoxy. I had to
tape the metal in place until the epoxy cured (overnight.) That has not
failed after at least 5 years.
Make sure that all traces of the old glue are gone from all mating surfaces

Charlie

"Tax frustrated" > wrote
in message

Old June 5th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks Charlie (Sorry about that "Tax frustrated" thing. I had changed it to
post to a tax newsgroup to be funny and forgot to change it back

I realized after I posted that that indeed WAS glue. It was so perfectly
formed and rubber-like it looked like a piece of clear plastic.

I removed it and cleaned everything with alcohol. The plate on the 92 is not
held in with a set screw, and it's a pain getting the plate out (I read some
old posts from here and checked my Ford shop manual). Finally freed it.

The glue instructions say it sets in 15 minutes. But I think I'll take your
advice and let is sit all night. I'll post back just to let folks know how
it went. 5 years? My fingers are crossed!!!

Thanks again.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

. ..

Old June 5th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Before you scrape the glue off.... mark the OUTSIDE of the glass with a felt
marker or such. This makes placing the spud a simple task. A strip of duct
tape keeps the spud from moving after it is placed....

Old June 5th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Charlie Bress" > wrote in message
. ..
> On my 92 there is a little metal piece that the mirror is attached to and
> secured with a set screw.
> If you have the same setup, remove the metal piece from the mirror mount.
> scrape of the old glue from the windshield after you put a piece of tape

on
> the outside to mark the right position. Then the metal hunk gets glued

back
> on .
> Be sure you put the metal holder on right side up. There is a taper to it.
> I used to use the aftermarket glue that is sold to reattach the mirror but
> it has never lasted very long. Th last time I used a clear epoxy. I had to
> tape the metal in place until the epoxy cured (overnight.) That has not
> failed after at least 5 years.

I've also had better results with epoxy rather than "rear view mirror
adhesive." Mine lasted at least a couple of years but I recently got a new
windshield.

Old June 6th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:05:58 GMT, "Tax frustrated"
> wrote:

>Hello
>
>The rear view mirror on my 92 XLT just fell off (79,000 miles on the truck
>and it's still like new - except for the mirror). I've checked all the old
>posts and the former Singleton site and don't see anything on this
>particular issue:
>
>When the mirror fell off, it left like a little plastic shoe that's still
>stuck to the windshield. I first thought it was leftover glue, but it looks
>like a perfectly formed plastic thing that was glued to the windshield
>first. Am I wrong? Is that glue? If not, should I first try to remove it or
>restick the mirror directly to it?
>
>Anyone have ideas?
>
>Thanks

No you are not wrong. I'm not sure why but Ford uses those sometimes
to stick the metal shoe to the windshield. It does seem like really
thick glue. I'd scrap it off and use window adhesive. Like others
have said, the genuine window adhesive doesn't necessarily last for
more then a few years. If you use epoxy you run the risk of making a
mess and it someone yanks too hard on the mirror it may take a chunk
out of the windshield instead of just coming off. I just use either
plain old superglue or the special mirror glue from the auto parts
store.
Old June 6th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 02:15:23 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
> wrote:

>Thanks Charlie (Sorry about that "Tax frustrated" thing. I had changed it to
>post to a tax newsgroup to be funny and forgot to change it back
>
>I realized after I posted that that indeed WAS glue. It was so perfectly
>formed and rubber-like it looked like a piece of clear plastic.
>
>I removed it and cleaned everything with alcohol. The plate on the 92 is not
>held in with a set screw, and it's a pain getting the plate out (I read some
>old posts from here and checked my Ford shop manual). Finally freed it.
>
>The glue instructions say it sets in 15 minutes. But I think I'll take your
>advice and let is sit all night. I'll post back just to let folks know how
>it went. 5 years? My fingers are crossed!!!
>
>Thanks again.

I've found that often that spring gizmo ford uses to hold the mirror
to the "shoe" gets munged up when you take the shoe off the mirror.
The result on mine was that the mirror wasn't really held tight on the
show and it would vibrate and be hard to adjust. I drilled a hole in
the mirror mount where you would logically put a setscrew and put a
self tapping screw in it to cinch it down tight.
Old June 7th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thank you everyone. Well, whether that was a piece of plastic or not, I
scraped it off and used the standard mirror glue kit (thanks for the tape
advice, Jim). (It was a real pain getting the plate out of the mirror
housing. Even though I read what folks have said in the past. As a last
resort, I checked the Ford shop manual, and it clarified how to get it out).
Anyway, I let the metal plate sit on the windshield all night and snapped
the mirror on in the morning. On day two so far, and all seems good. I post
back if it falls off in the next few days.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

Old June 7th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Anthony... if you had that much faith in your magazine articles, your
typewriter would be dust covered.... Oh - wait a minute... you're typewriter
IS dust covered.... God bless the word processor.... 8^)

Old June 8th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ashton Crusher > wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:05:58 GMT, "Tax frustrated"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >The rear view mirror on my 92 XLT just fell off (79,000 miles on the

truck
> >and it's still like new - except for the mirror). I've checked all the

old
> >posts and the former Singleton site and don't see anything on this
> >particular issue:
> >
> >When the mirror fell off, it left like a little plastic shoe that's still
> >stuck to the windshield. I first thought it was leftover glue, but it

looks
> >like a perfectly formed plastic thing that was glued to the windshield
> >first. Am I wrong? Is that glue? If not, should I first try to remove it

or
> >restick the mirror directly to it?
> >
> >Anyone have ideas?
> >
> >Thanks

> No you are not wrong. I'm not sure why but Ford uses those sometimes
> to stick the metal shoe to the windshield. It does seem like really
> thick glue. I'd scrap it off and use window adhesive. Like others
> have said, the genuine window adhesive doesn't necessarily last for
> more then a few years. If you use epoxy you run the risk of making a
> mess and it someone yanks too hard on the mirror it may take a chunk
> out of the windshield instead of just coming off

Well, that's one of the reasons I like epoxy--I used the "correct" stuff
once and the mirror fell off and took a chunk of windshield with it.

.. I just use either
> plain old superglue or the special mirror glue from the auto parts
> store.

1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
Porsche 944 taillight question Nate Nagel Driving 73 January 28th 05 11:24 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM