Would you be brave (or stupid) enough to do this?

Old May 4th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Would you be brave (or stupid) enough to do this?

"laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" wrote

> If the engine's on fire, then good chance the whole vehicle will blow
> up and good samaritan is a burn victim and in agony the rest of his
> life.

Our fire fighters tell that it is not very dangerous.
European cars have an automatic fuel pump stop when crashed.
It takes several minutes for a fire to even reach the passenger room.
And usually there is nothing to blow up (although trucks with
dangerous goods may pose serious problems).
My mother did it once and I would certainly do it too.

In most fire accidents (traffic/house/office/...):
unlikely the fire will harm you, but the smoke can do!

Thomas

Old May 5th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

<<<<Our fire fighters tell that it is not very dangerous.
European cars have an automatic fuel pump stop when crashed.
It takes several minutes for a fire to even reach the passenger room.
And usually there is nothing to blow up (although trucks with
dangerous goods may pose serious problems).
My mother did it once and I would certainly do it too.

In most fire accidents (traffic/house/office/...):
unlikely the fire will harm you, but the smoke can do! >>>>

Wrong. My '02 Ford Taurus has a fuel pump cut off in the trunk where
there is a switch to reset the pump after an accident. The Taurus was
made in Atlanta Georgia. It's of American design, made in America of
95% American parts.

The fuel pump cut off switch is likely a DOT requirement. Now WHY is
it not required that every car have a fire extinguisher, a first aid
kit, and jumper cables??? Government is so inconsistent like that.

East-

Old May 5th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> wrote

> Wrong.

What was wrong?

> My '02 Ford Taurus has a fuel pump cut off in the trunk where
> there is a switch to reset the pump after an accident. The Taurus was
> made in Atlanta Georgia. It's of American design, made in America of
> 95% American parts.

American cars will probably have that feature too.
So there is no need to worry much about a fire and explosion.
Fire won't grow fast by gas, it can only eat gum and plastic.

> Now WHY is it not required that every car have a fire extinguisher

In D required for trucks, not for cars, as a useful fire extinguisher is
big,
spacy, expensive, needs regular maintenance, but fire accidents are rare.

> a first aid kit

Of course a training in first aid too!
In D required like some other things.

> and jumper cables

How to use them in an accident?

Thomas

Old May 6th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Thomas Schäfer" > wrote in news:e3ev83
:

> > wrote
>
>> Wrong.

> What was wrong?
>
>> My '02 Ford Taurus has a fuel pump cut off in the trunk where
>> there is a switch to reset the pump after an accident. The Taurus was
>> made in Atlanta Georgia. It's of American design, made in America of
>> 95% American parts.

> American cars will probably have that feature too.
> So there is no need to worry much about a fire and explosion.
> Fire won't grow fast by gas, it can only eat gum and plastic.

My '90 Tarus wagon had that feature.

>> Now WHY is it not required that every car have a fire extinguisher

> In D required for trucks, not for cars, as a useful fire extinguisher

is
> big,
> spacy, expensive, needs regular maintenance, but fire accidents are

rare.

Required for all buses too. Along with other safety "applances", such as
a wreaking bar, 3 reflective triangles, a first aid kit & a body fluid
clean up kit. They are to be checked durning each pre-trip inspection.
I think I'm forgetting something, but it's late and the Tequila is
setting in. Time for bed.

>> a first aid kit

> Of course a training in first aid too!
> In D required like some other things.
>
>> and jumper cables

Why jumper cables? Why not a tank of compressed air? Why not a Trunk
Monkey?

> How to use them in an accident?
>
> Thomas

About the only thing the average motorist is qualified to use are the 3
reflective triangles. But they would probably mess that up also.

Doug