'96 GC Air Conditioning woes

Old April 14th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default '96 GC Air Conditioning woes

the AC on my '96 Grand Cherokee has been blowing warm air so I took it
to a local reputiable AC mechanic to have it fixed.

His diagnosis:

Replace evaporator (leaking)
Replace discharge hose (leaking)
Replace what he called the "bendar motor"

His estimate was $1700.00!!!!!!

I just can't afford that right now but I live in Florida and the summer
is almost here so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

Is the above described work something I could do myself? What would it
cost me to purchase the items I need to replace.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Best Regards,

Marcel
Old April 14th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There is no such thing as a "bendar motor". Are you sure he didn't say
"blower motor"? If you have a leaking evaporator and hose, you would be
wise to have all the O-rings replaced at the same time.

You can not do the work yourself, unless you are exceptional and have access
to some expensive tools. After the repairs have been made, the system needs
to be evacuated, and filled with the precise amount of refrigerant.

You can buy a "recharge kit" at many automotive parts stores. This will
contain a can of perhaps 12 oz. of refrigerant, with a hose to dispense it
into the system. This is not a permanent fix, and results are not assured,
but many people have used it as a "temporary" fix. Availability depends on
the laws of your state.

Earle

Old April 14th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

mlee did pass the time by typing:
> the AC on my '96 Grand Cherokee has been blowing warm air so I took it
> to a local reputiable AC mechanic to have it fixed.
>
> His diagnosis:
>
> Replace evaporator (leaking)

This is not a good thing. It takes quite a bit of effort to
get at the evaporator.

> Replace discharge hose (leaking)

o-rings probably. Look for grease/dirt around the fittings.
A bit of oil escapes with the R134a and traps dirt.
Resist the urge to overtighten the banjo bolts on the AC
compressor, they are into very weak aluminum.

> Replace what he called the "bendar motor"

Blend-Air motor. This is the doodad that moves the
damper between cold and hot or the cooling coil and heater core.
They can go bad but it's not usual. They do stick and wear, but
it's not common.

> His estimate was $1700.00!!!!!!
>
> I just can't afford that right now but I live in Florida and the summer
> is almost here so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
>
> Is the above described work something I could do myself? What would it
> cost me to purchase the items I need to replace.

Check the recall first.

Generally AC work is hard for the backyard mechanic to do because of the
equipment required to pump the system down if you replace major parts
and the evaporator is a MAJOR part.

Given the evaporator might be leaking the price (based on hours of work)
isn't that far out there. Getting that part out is a bitch of a job.

What you could do is get a R134a recharge kit with pressure gauge and put
some more coolant in there. It will leak out again but at least your AC
will probably work for a few more years. (all depends how much of a leak
you have.)

--
DougW

Old April 15th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In my experience, which isn't all that much but it is something, if you have
a leak that is enough to stop your AC from working, then one of those
recharge kits is good for a season, maybe. Still, if you don't have the
money this year, but you might have it next year, it will be a good
investment. Especially if you live in Florida.

Where I live, if you are too hot, just drive up hill. ;^)

Earle

Old April 15th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:01:24 GMT, mlee > wrote:

>the AC on my '96 Grand Cherokee has been blowing warm air so I took it
>to a local reputiable AC mechanic to have it fixed.
>
>His diagnosis:
>
>Replace evaporator (leaking)
>Replace discharge hose (leaking)
>Replace what he called the "bendar motor"
>
>His estimate was $1700.00!!!!!!
>
>I just can't afford that right now but I live in Florida and the summer
>is almost here so I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
>
>Is the above described work something I could do myself? What would it
>cost me to purchase the items I need to replace.
>
>Any suggestions would be very welcome.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Marcel

As others have pointed out, replacing the evaporator is a MAJOR job.
It took the dealer an entire day, and they knew what they were doing.
It involves taking out the entire dash among other things. You really
don't want to try to do it yourself. Never got all the rattles out of
the dash after that. Even today.

When our evaporator was replaced in 1994, it cost over $1,000. I'm
sure it's a lot more now. Between rebuilding the compressor head
(O'Rings), replacing the hose and heater motor, I'm sure what you were
quoted is not out of line.

Dick
Old April 15th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What your dash must have looked like:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeepDashRemoved.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 15th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not a pretty sight.

Dick

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:15:23 -0700, "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III"

Old April 15th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ok, I have read in a few places that the blend air door is defective
which effectively stops the AC from working because it won't go from
'heat' mode to AC mode under the dash.

I believe it is also vacuum operated and the vacuum line can become
disconnected. Hear any strange hisses or have any other vacuum related
things that work slowly?

I am wondering if this is all that is wrong?

If you turn on the AC and things under the hood appear to work, than
maybe it's just that door?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 15th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Billy Ray,

I figure the leak just started in the past year, and then drained down the
system, to the point that it would not cool. That is my experience with
leaks anyway. It is unrealistic in the extreme, to expect that a recharge
can is going to give another ten years of service. Otoh, they cost a lot
less than $1,700.00!

Earle

Old April 15th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That actually makes it look easy. What the picture doesn't show, is how
many connections and how many fasteners you have to remove, to get to that
point. I'll bet, it's a few.

Earle

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> What your dash must have looked like:
> http://www.billhughes.com/jeepDashRemoved.jpg
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>

> RAH wrote:
> >
> > As others have pointed out, replacing the evaporator is a MAJOR job.
> > It took the dealer an entire day, and they knew what they were doing.
> > It involves taking out the entire dash among other things. You really
> > don't want to try to do it yourself. Never got all the rattles out of
> > the dash after that. Even today.
> >
> > When our evaporator was replaced in 1994, it cost over $1,000. I'm
> > sure it's a lot more now. Between rebuilding the compressor head
> > (O'Rings), replacing the hose and heater motor, I'm sure what you were
> > quoted is not out of line.
> >
> > Dick

AWA [DEMAND] Buying Air Conditioning Cores [email protected] Technology 6 January 6th 06 06:17 PM
AWA [DEMAND] Buying Air Conditioning Cores [email protected] General 0 January 2nd 06 02:04 PM
Air conditioning vs DRL Technology 40 June 8th 05 08:42 PM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 2 October 15th 04 12:08 AM
e36 automatic air conditioning controls Q boy BMW 0 October 14th 04 06:30 PM