Alignment question

Old June 21st 05, 10:03 PM
Ajanta

Default Alignment question

How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

Should it be combined with oil change and tire rotation, or is needed
less frequently?

Does any chain (or local garage in Chicago area) have a great
"lifetime" alignment deal?
Old June 21st 05, 10:13 PM
Daniel

It's needed less frequently.
When you get it done, you need a four wheel computerized alignment
only.
It's the one thing I have done by the dealer.
Apart from component wear, the only items that are really adjustable on
the Camry are the tie rods in front and those adjustable links in the
rear.
There's really no reason they should move once set correctly.
The struts are an integral part of the suspension geometry, so unless
they wear, or the ball joints wear, alignment should stay good.
Last time I noticed a very slight amount of drift something like 30,000
miles or more after an alignment, I paid something like $80 basically
for nothing.
The before and after printouts were essentially the same.
In my experience slight variations in the tire sidewalls are more
likely to cause a slight drift than alignment.
The Camry is not like the old swing arm A frame with adjustment shims.
As I've said there really are no adjustments available for caster and
camber, only toe in and that should be stable.

Old June 21st 05, 10:45 PM

In alt.autos.toyota Ajanta > wrote:
> How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

When:
- you notice abnormal tire wear
- the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
- steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
- you get in an collision that bends the frame
- you disassemble suspension or steering components
- you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves
- you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)

Old June 21st 05, 10:56 PM
Dave C.

> In alt.autos.toyota Ajanta > wrote:
> > How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

> When:
> - you notice abnormal tire wear
> - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
> - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
> - you get in an collision that bends the frame
> - you disassemble suspension or steering components
> - you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves
> - you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)

Good post, but I would revise it a bit:

When:
- you notice abnormal tire wear
- the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
- steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
- you get in an collision that bends the frame
- you disassemble suspension or steering components
- you've hit one curb, pothole, or frost heave
- you've driven over 5 miles in the northeast US (see item above)

Old June 21st 05, 11:07 PM
Jeff Strickland

In theory, you could go through life never having an alignment. The problem
is, theories quite often do not pan out. Your need for an alignment will
have much to do with how often and how hard you like to hit curbs and pot
holes. Of course, if you have major suspension work done, you could need an
alignment to make sure that everything all went in the right places.

Old June 21st 05, 11:34 PM
Mike Walsh

"Dave C." wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > In alt.autos.toyota Ajanta > wrote:
> > > How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

> > When:
> > - you notice abnormal tire wear
> > - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
> > - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
> > - you get in an collision that bends the frame
> > - you disassemble suspension or steering components
> > - you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves
> > - you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)
> >

> Good post, but I would revise it a bit:
>
> When:
> - you notice abnormal tire wear
> - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
> - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
> - you get in an collision that bends the frame
> - you disassemble suspension or steering components
> - you've hit one curb, pothole, or frost heave
> - you've driven over 5 miles in the northeast US (see item above)

Having lived in the Northeast US I can confirm that one pothole can affect front end alignment enough to be immediately noticeable. Florida roads and weather are much easier on your car.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 21st 05, 11:52 PM
hachiroku

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:45:29 +0000, someone wrote:

> In alt.autos.toyota Ajanta > wrote:
>> How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

> When:
> - you notice abnormal tire wear
> - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
> - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
> - you get in an collision that bends the frame
> - you disassemble suspension or steering components
> - you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves
> - you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)

And most of THAT in Massachusetts!

Old June 22nd 05, 06:47 AM
Ray O

"Dave C." > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> > wrote in message
>> In alt.autos.toyota Ajanta > wrote:
>> > How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

>> When:
>> - you notice abnormal tire wear
>> - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
>> - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
>> - you get in an collision that bends the frame
>> - you disassemble suspension or steering components
>> - you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves
>> - you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)
>>

> Good post, but I would revise it a bit:
>
> When:
> - you notice abnormal tire wear
> - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel
> - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds
> - you get in an collision that bends the frame
> - you disassemble suspension or steering components
> - you've hit one curb, pothole, or frost heave
> - you've driven over 5 miles in the northeast US (see item above)

The OP mentioned that he/she is in the Chicago area, my guess is the
northwest suburbs or northwest side of Chicago. The condition of roads in
the Chicago area are a close second to those in Massachusetts. Until our
street was resurfaced last year, we had to drive over a bump almost as high
as the rest of the curb to get into the driveway, and driving down alleys in
Chicago is like driving on an unpaved road. We usually end up needing
alignments about halfway through the life of a set of tires, about 25,000
miles.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply

Old June 22nd 05, 01:40 PM
Ajanta

Ray O > wrote:

: [Chicago area]...The condition of roads in
: the Chicago area are a close second to those in Massachusetts. Until our
: street was resurfaced last year, we had to drive over a bump almost as high
: as the rest of the curb to get into the driveway, and driving down alleys in
: Chicago is like driving on an unpaved road. We usually end up needing
: alignments about halfway through the life of a set of tires, about 25,000
: miles.

We drive all over Chicago area and road quality is highly variable.
mostly bad. Even 'premium' showcase roads like Lake Shore Drive are in
such bad shape. The city spends a lot of $'s on trees and flowers but
roads don't seem to be any priority.

BTW I was able to contact the previous owner of the car and know a
little mo The front end was aligned about 40,000 miles ago when he
got the Regata 2 the car has now. Maybe I would do the same, get
alignment when I change the tires.
Old June 22nd 05, 01:44 PM
Ajanta

Jeff Strickland > wrote:

: In theory, you could go through life never having an alignment. The problem
: is, theories quite often do not pan out...

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are
different. :-)

Alignment question Ajanta Driving 32 July 19th 05 06:35 AM
QUESTION: 1996 GT Front End Alignment EADGBE Ford Mustang 8 June 23rd 05 02:36 AM
Lanny's Alignment Specs/wear question [email protected] Mazda 6 June 13th 05 12:38 AM
General front end alignment question James Technology 7 April 9th 05 03:46 AM
Basic Alignment Question AlanRab Mazda 1 November 23rd 04 03:28 AM