QUESTION: 1996 GT Front End Alignment

Old June 21st 05, 05:14 PM
EADGBE

Default QUESTION: 1996 GT Front End Alignment

I have a 1996 GT with the 17-inch wheels. I absolutely HATE buying new
tires for this car! They are SO expensive!

I just replaced the tires (again). I noticed that the outside edges of
the old front tires were very worn down...they looked like I had been
taking hard corners or something. (I don't do this...the car is
strictly a commuter car) IS THIS NORMAL WEAR FOR Z-RATED TIRES?

But wait, there's more!

I decided to get my front end checked and aligned. The mechanic calls
me into the service area to look at my car. (This is NEVER good
news...don't you hate it when it happens?) He has the car jacked up on
the alignment platform. He grabs the driver's side front wheel and is
able to wiggle it around. There is approximately 3/8 of an inch of
play. He tells me that the inner tie rod end is loose and will have to
be replaced. I ask if the passenger side is just as bad and he says it
can be wiggled too, but not as much as the driver's side wheel. I ask
if the car can still be aligned and he says yes. I tell him to just do
the alignment and I will save up for the additional repair.

I get the car home and get out the car's jack and I try to do the same
thing with each front wheel. Sure enough, the driver's front wheel
wiggles a bit and the passenger side wiggles too, but not as much.

MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels? Also, is the inner
tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?

Any help will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Old June 21st 05, 09:38 PM
elaich

"EADGBE" > wrote in news:1119370448.589731.188820
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels? Also, is the inner
> tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
> say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?

No. It's likely the cause of your tire wear. It can also become very
dangerous as the tie rod ends wear, because it can separate.

Have the tie rod ends replaced, and then get a front end alignment.

--
"Go Spurs! Beat Detroit!"
Old June 21st 05, 11:43 PM

:
>On 21 Jun 2005 09:14:08 -0700, "EADGBE" > wrote:

>I have a 1996 GT with the 17-inch wheels. I absolutely HATE buying new
>tires for this car! They are SO expensive!
>
>I just replaced the tires (again). I noticed that the outside edges of
>the old front tires were very worn down...they looked like I had been
>taking hard corners or something. (I don't do this...the car is
>strictly a commuter car) IS THIS NORMAL WEAR FOR Z-RATED TIRES?
>
>But wait, there's more!
>
>I decided to get my front end checked and aligned. The mechanic calls
>me into the service area to look at my car. (This is NEVER good
>news...don't you hate it when it happens?) He has the car jacked up on
>the alignment platform. He grabs the driver's side front wheel and is
>able to wiggle it around. There is approximately 3/8 of an inch of
>play. He tells me that the inner tie rod end is loose and will have to
>be replaced. I ask if the passenger side is just as bad and he says it
>can be wiggled too, but not as much as the driver's side wheel. I ask
>if the car can still be aligned and he says yes. I tell him to just do
>the alignment and I will save up for the additional repair.
>
>I get the car home and get out the car's jack and I try to do the same
>thing with each front wheel. Sure enough, the driver's front wheel
>wiggles a bit and the passenger side wiggles too, but not as much.
>
>MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels? Also, is the inner
>tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
>say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?
>
>Any help will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

>> MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels? Also, is the inner
>> tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
>> say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?

>No. It's likely the cause of your tire wear. It can also become very
>dangerous as the tie rod ends wear, because it can separate.

not in this case
tie ends affect tow adjustment
look how tire wear is described
however i would pull your car off the road in canada ya foctard
its DANGERIOUS for the rest of us to have u on the road
FOCTARD

>Have the tie rod ends replaced, and then get a front end alignment.

sounds like tire scrub and camber to me
prolly soft focking cheap tires
too with soft sidewall
just because the alignment machine is green
does not mean its aligned LMFAO

you CANNOT align your car without repair first

your struts prolly weak too
that **** macpherison strut crap suspension
causes tire scrub
typical ford crap

Old June 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
Brent P

In article .com>, EADGBE wrote:

> MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels?

No. They should not wiggle at all. The outside of the tires on my '97 wear
slightly faster (as in, by the time it's an issue, the tire is
practically on the wear bars across the width of it) than the rest,
but it's always been this way, even after an alignment.

> Also, is the inner
> tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
> say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?

If it's not a tie rod end, it's a ball joint. The direction of the wiggle
will be the difference I think.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:48 AM
EADGBE

Brent:

If you put your hands on the tire at the 3 o' clock and 9 o' clock
positions, you can push and pull on the tire and it wiggles...in other
words, it moves on the same axis as if it were making a right or left
turn.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:50 AM
EADGBE

One thing I don't understand...the guy at the alignment shop said that
I needed "inner tie rod ends". But as far as I can tell, I just have
ONE set of tie rod ends...the ones that connect with the wheel
assembly. The place where "inner tie rod ends" would be is occupied by
the power steering pump.

What could he be talking about?

Old June 22nd 05, 03:55 AM
.boB

EADGBE wrote:

> I have a 1996 GT with the 17-inch wheels. I absolutely HATE buying new
> tires for this car! They are SO expensive!

They aren't really much more expensive than a 15" wheel, and often cheaper than
a 16". If it's a daily commuter, you're wasting money on the Z rated tires. They
don't last nearly as long as a lower rated tire. Shop around a little, and you can
find some excellent tires for less money.

> I just replaced the tires (again). I noticed that the outside edges of
> the old front tires were very worn down...they looked like I had been
> taking hard corners or something. (I don't do this...the car is
> strictly a commuter car) IS THIS NORMAL WEAR FOR Z-RATED TIRES?
>
> But wait, there's more!
>
> I decided to get my front end checked and aligned. The mechanic calls
> me into the service area to look at my car. (This is NEVER good
> news...don't you hate it when it happens?) He has the car jacked up on
> the alignment platform. He grabs the driver's side front wheel and is
> able to wiggle it around. There is approximately 3/8 of an inch of
> play. He tells me that the inner tie rod end is loose and will have to
> be replaced. I ask if the passenger side is just as bad and he says it
> can be wiggled too, but not as much as the driver's side wheel. I ask
> if the car can still be aligned and he says yes. I tell him to just do
> the alignment and I will save up for the additional repair.
>
> I get the car home and get out the car's jack and I try to do the same
> thing with each front wheel. Sure enough, the driver's front wheel
> wiggles a bit and the passenger side wiggles too, but not as much.
>
> MY QUESTION: Is this normal for the front wheels? Also, is the inner
> tie rod end at fault, or could this be another loose/worn part like
> say, a wheel bearing (I hear no noise)?
>
> Any help will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

This is a common problem with Ford products. Maybe others as well, but I don't
own them. It's been my experiance that it's cheaper to replace the entire steering
rack, rather than the two inner tie rod ends. You spend more in parts, but a lot
less in labor. It's a simple enough job to do yourself, but you really should have a
set of tubing wrenches. Besides, if the inner tie rod ends are that worn, the rack
usually has a significant amount of wear also.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old June 22nd 05, 03:59 AM
Kruse

EADGBE wrote:
> One thing I don't understand...the guy at the alignment shop said that
> I needed "inner tie rod ends". But as far as I can tell, I just have
> ONE set of tie rod ends...the ones that connect with the wheel
> assembly. The place where "inner tie rod ends" would be is occupied by
> the power steering pump.
>
> What could he be talking about?

He's probably telling you that you need a new rack and pinion assembly.
The outer tie rods are cheap. The rack and pinion assembly is not. (At
least not as cheap)