OXG warning light

Old November 17th 04, 01:31 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Default OXG warning light

(My car is a 86 GTI with a 2.0 aba bottom and new 1.8 head)

Just went out to drive the highschoolers to school and the OXG warning
light never went off... being that we are in the mid-moved state I have
no idea where the car books are...

Any danger driving for a few days with that light on? It actually ran
better than it has since we put in the air/fuel mixture gauge... but
don't wanna damage anything since the motor is all new from January...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old November 17th 04, 08:33 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

dave > wrote:
:>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing
:>Date: 11/17/2004 7:31 AM Central Standard Time
:>
:>(My car is a 86 GTI with a 2.0 aba bottom and new 1.8 head)
:>
:>Just went out to drive the highschoolers to school and the OXG warning
:>light never went off... being that we are in the mid-moved state I have
:>no idea where the car books are...
:>
:>Any danger driving for a few days with that light on? It actually ran
:>better than it has since we put in the air/fuel mixture gauge... but
:>don't wanna damage anything since the motor is all new from January...
:>

: Is that the OXS light possibly? Might come on with a counter timer either on a

Yep... blurry vision or memory in the early am ;-)
: box or in the speedo cluster. Just comes on to indicate you should check the
: 02 sensor and possibly change it, then reset the timer.

: I think the 1 wire 02 sensor lasts maybe 30K miles while a 3 or more wire 02
: sensor should last maybe 60K miles.
: You probably have the 1 wire 02 sensor which is luckily inexpensive compared to
: a 3 wire 02. <g>

: I could be wrong since I have not seen an 86 GTi in awhile. :-)

It's got a appointment for tomorrow just in case... thanks!

Old November 17th 04, 10:12 PM

Yeah, don't worry at all about driving around with the light on - it's
just an automatic timer giving you a suggestion. A worn out O2 sensor
will hurt your emmissions, mileage, and idle, but it won't die
overnight.

Better hope the last person put some anti sieze on the threads though,
they're a pain to unscrew from the exhaust manifold...

-A

Old November 17th 04, 10:12 PM

Old November 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
>dave > wrote:
>:>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing
>:>Date: 11/17/2004 7:31 AM Central Standard Time
>:>
>:>(My car is a 86 GTI with a 2.0 aba bottom and new 1.8 head)
>:>
>:>Just went out to drive the highschoolers to school and the OXG warning
>:>light never went off... being that we are in the mid-moved state I have
>:>no idea where the car books are...
>:>
>:>Any danger driving for a few days with that light on? It actually ran
>:>better than it has since we put in the air/fuel mixture gauge... but
>:>don't wanna damage anything since the motor is all new from January...
>:>
>
>: Is that the OXS light possibly? Might come on with a counter timer either on a
>

>Yep... blurry vision or memory in the early am ;-)
>: box or in the speedo cluster. Just comes on to indicate you should check the
>: 02 sensor and possibly change it, then reset the timer.
>
>: I think the 1 wire 02 sensor lasts maybe 30K miles while a 3 or more wire 02
>: sensor should last maybe 60K miles.
>: You probably have the 1 wire 02 sensor which is luckily inexpensive compared to
>: a 3 wire 02. <g>
>
>: I could be wrong since I have not seen an 86 GTi in awhile. :-)
>
>It's got a appointment for tomorrow just in case... thanks!

If you really have a 2.0L ABA, then you have and A3 and probably OBD-1, if
you only have one 02 sensor. That being said, it's a three wire... Now it
might not be the sensor but the connector on top of the rear motor mount
which has the white data wire on the end. This wire usually gets frayed
and breaks. Check it by gentley pulling and see if it pops off the connector.
If this happens you have to take out the rubber grommet and carefully solder
the wire back on. Make sure the grommet is on the wire before you solder.

It will probably happen again because you need a new motor mount. You can
also add an extension which I did which helps. I had mine go a second time
and then I added the wire extension. I need to chance the motor mounts
but in the mean time this will help with the O2.

I'll bill the dealership later....

:-)

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,

Old November 18th 04, 12:39 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Peter Parker > wrote:
: In article >,
: Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
:>dave > wrote:
:>:>From: Chicago Paddling-Fishing
:>:>Date: 11/17/2004 7:31 AM Central Standard Time
:>:>
[...]

Well, it was kinda put together in january... i had a rod knock, i bought
a new "unused surplus" 1.8 GTI head and the mechanic sourced a 2.0aba bottom
end from a wrecked vw... i know there was a adapter for the distributer to
get it to work, not sure about the rest as far as whats stock and what's
not since it was a big job... vfc-engineering did it for me.

30 to 33 mpg driving around chicago as a commuter car... (mixed highway/city)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

lap seatbelt warning light question [email protected] Saturn 6 January 16th 05 04:18 AM
When oil pressure warning light on how many quarts of oil do Ipour ? [email protected] Honda 2 January 16th 05 12:12 AM
EM Warning Light A Lurker Audi 3 December 18th 04 11:16 PM
A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light? John Prendergast Audi 3 November 18th 04 12:22 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM