wiring a XJ hitch

Old August 8th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
AWantz

Default wiring a XJ hitch

I've got a 88 XJ and I'm wiring a hitch. Do I Need a converter since
the tail lights and brake lights are operated with 2 different wires??

Old August 8th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

The determing factor is if the Trun Signals and the Brake Lights use the
SAME bulb. If they do, then you do not need a converter, if they each use
their own bulb, then you will need the converter.

Another way to tell is if they have a converter at the store that fits your
vehicle, then you will be needing to buy one.

oups.com...

Old August 9th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

yes

Old August 12th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

Unless the OP wants to add another pair of lamps to his trailer, then he
can simply use a 6-pin trailer connector and wire it direct. One pair
for turn, one pair for stop and tail, just like his XJ.

I recently finished up my 1948 utility trailer and _wanted_ separate
stop and turn signals on it. I used an after-market in-line connector
on my `96 XJ to get into the wiring harness and then broke into that
upstream of the converter box to get the seperate terminals. I left the
4 pin connector in place in case I ever tow something that uses that
connector.

Old August 13th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

It's the stop and turn that are on the same filament.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 13th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

He's got an `88 Cherokee. If it is like my `89 was then he's got
separate brake light and turn signal systems, not the two filament
combination stop/tail/turn lamp houses like the CJs had.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> It's the stop and turn that are on the same filament.
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Lee Ayrton wrote:
>
>>Unless the OP wants to add another pair of lamps to his trailer, then he
>>can simply use a 6-pin trailer connector and wire it direct. One pair
>>for turn, one pair for stop and tail, just like his XJ.
>>
>>I recently finished up my 1948 utility trailer and _wanted_ separate
>>stop and turn signals on it. I used an after-market in-line connector
>>on my `96 XJ to get into the wiring harness and then broke into that
>>upstream of the converter box to get the seperate terminals. I left the
>>4 pin connector in place in case I ever tow something that uses that
>>connector.

Tailight Wiring Problem [email protected] VW air cooled 8 March 16th 06 12:25 AM
2003 CRV and Tow hitch questions I can't do that, Dave Honda 2 January 28th 06 05:15 PM
Fire Damage Wiring Repair [email protected] Jeep 31 December 24th 05 08:13 PM
GC Hitch Jo Bo Jeep 0 November 15th 05 10:15 PM
Which Trailer hitch for a Chrysler T&C? [email protected] Chrysler 2 May 17th 05 11:43 AM