gas prices too high or too low?

Old June 12th 04, 06:10 PM
charliew2

The Ancient One wrote:
> "Default User" > wrote in message
>> ben wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't know know if the question has been asked before, but humor me
>>> for a bit and share your thoughts on gas prices and if ya think
>>> driving an SUV is unpatriotic?

>> He he. All the talk about gas prices amuse me. When I hired in to the
>> cumpnee in 1981, gas prices were about $1.20 or so, and I made about
>> 1/3 of what I do now. That didn't stop me from buying my 1980 Blazer.
>>

>> Brian Rodenborn

> Heh, I remember when gas first hit 50 cents a gallon, man that was
> high. ;-)

Me too. Been there, done that, hated it, and moved on.

Old June 12th 04, 07:12 PM
Dave Hill

Gas prices: too high

Our dependence on fossil fuels: WAY WAY too high

Research & development on cheaper alternative fuels: not high enough

SUV's: They suck. I can see using one *occasionally*. Like if you're
taking a vacation with spouse and three kids, and you have tons of stuff to
haul. But how often does that really happen? For just general day trips,
like going to work each day, and especially if you're driving alone, an SUV
seems like massive overkill. And try pulling out of a parking space in a
small car when all the surrounding vehicles are SUV's. You end up halfway
out in the road already before you can see if anything is coming because
all the damn SUV's are blocking the view. Surely *all* these people don't
need to be driving a freakin' tank. It's ridiculous.

Old June 13th 04, 01:47 AM
Will Honea

Damn, I hate to feed to OT trolls, but couldn't resist. Long accepted
folk wisdom: If you can't lick them join them!

Old June 13th 04, 01:47 AM
Will Honea

Old June 13th 04, 04:02 AM
ben

I wan't around around druning ww II, but I have read that in otder to
help the war effort people at home did their share by conservation.

their sacrifice helped divert resources to help the militray - just
think if people then had the same attitude now, what would happen if
people back then said hey I want to drive my SUV and use excess fuel
just so I could haul my fat butt around town instead of conserving gas
for the war effort?????

isn't being patriotic wanting what is best for the national interests,
if gas is a scarce resource that is foreign produced they why drive
something that is not really necessary?

I think it was president kennedy who said, "ask not what your country
can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

by driving an suv that might not be the most efficent vehicle for the
job (and makes this country more at the mercy of OPEC), then that is
what I am trying to say is is unpatriotic.....

masturbation on the other hand (get the pun) is neither unpatriotic or
patriotic because it does not depend upon the resources of a foreign
country.....

I've got to go now and visit the local titty bar and get a lap dance -
that my friend is being patriotic (blowing a wad locally).

Old June 13th 04, 04:02 AM
ben

Old June 13th 04, 04:10 AM
ben

hate to tell ya but SUVs are different than minivans and station
wagons because they are considered trucks....

a truck by def of the federal gov. does not have too meet the same gas
and safety standards as a passanger car

"being classified as a light truck has its advantages. Trucks must
post a CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) of 20.7 miles per gallon
(with a very modest boost to 22.2 mpg by 2007), while that figure is
27.5 mpg for passenger cars; and until now light trucks have been
given breaks on tighter new air pollution regulations, although they
will soon be held to the same emissions standards as cars."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...1&article=6769

(which is why auto makers like classifying SUVs as trucks).....

the bottome line in a capitalist culture is all about $$$$$$$$$