Winch security

Old January 21st 05, 09:30 AM

Default Winch security

ive mounted my winch, with a warn winch plate,
now ive a question, how does one secure the winch and plate from
thieves?
do i grind a spot on a set of bolts and tack-weld?
how are any of you guys doing it?
hate to go hicking and come back with my front bumber empty,
johnp

Old January 21st 05, 03:59 PM
Troy

This SEEMS like it may work

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...ducts_id/70731

Old January 21st 05, 04:13 PM
Mike Romain

LOL!

Ya right. I doubt that would take a hit from a rubber mallet and
survive, let alone a rock or steel hammer.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 21st 05, 06:33 PM
Rusted

Give it a weld. And make sure is covered by insurance and documented so it
can be replaced.

oups.com...

Old January 21st 05, 06:36 PM
Jerry Bransford

Welding a mounting bolt is a quick way to ruin the Grade 5 rating of the
bolt.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 21st 05, 07:42 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If it were a strong winch that is likely to break something before
it cooks, like an hydraulic powered, in this litigious society, I would
build something like a scatter-shield to cover the bolted areas and weld
that on.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 22nd 05, 02:26 AM
1BADYJ

The scatter shield idea. Just take some 1/4" or 5/16' stock and put 2
90 degree bends in it and tack it down over the bolts. Thats what I am
going to do. That or. hehe, this is kinda neck, but weld a chain to the
plate and back to the frame, or just loop a chain around it and lock
it.

Old January 22nd 05, 03:08 AM
Patrick

good thing at least you will know the cause of one of the rattle in the jeep
cause by the chain... LOL

Old January 22nd 05, 03:52 AM
RoyJ

The nice way to do it is to weld a 2" long stub piece of 1" (ID) pipe
over one or more of the bolt holes. Drill a 3/8' cross hole then install
the winch as normal, using a deep socket to tighten the bolts up.
Install a 3/8" bolt through the cross hole, weld the nut tight. If you
want to remove the mounting bolt, hacksaw or torch off the 3/8" cross bolt.

Old January 22nd 05, 01:56 PM
twaldron

Dave Milne wrote:
> I guess you could put two nuts on, and tack weld the nuts together.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland

OW!!

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)

'95 Lebaron security system reset (it won't start!) maxpower Dodge 2 October 31st 04 08:10 PM
'95 Lebaron security system reset (it won't start!) Brendan Dodge 0 October 31st 04 08:10 PM
Winch??? Zenteren 4x4 4 March 24th 04 03:30 PM
Help with after-market security system identification and uninstall No1 General 0 February 6th 04 05:00 AM