Driving a US-market-Jetta in Europe

Old December 4th 04, 06:55 AM
Carsten Poulsen

Default Driving a US-market-Jetta in Europe

Hi,

I am planning to bring my US Jetta back to Europe and I wonder if
anyone knows if it is possible to drive an "American/Mexican" Jetta in
Europe. The gasolin I use in the US is 87 octane and minimum in Europe
is 92. But from what I know you can't compare these numbers directly,
since the method used to measure the octane is different.

Does anyone have any experience driving American VWs in Europe?

Thanks,

Carsten
Old December 4th 04, 10:30 PM
KokomoKid

"Carsten Poulsen" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to bring my US Jetta back to Europe and I wonder if
> anyone knows if it is possible to drive an "American/Mexican" Jetta in
> Europe. The gasolin I use in the US is 87 octane and minimum in Europe
> is 92. But from what I know you can't compare these numbers directly,
> since the method used to measure the octane is different.
>
> Does anyone have any experience driving American VWs in Europe?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carsten

If you use U.S. 87 octane in your car, you must have the 2 litre 8 valve
engine. In western Europe, the lowest octane you can find will be ok, just
like in the U.S. If you are in Ukraine or Belerus(sp?) or other old
"Eastern bloc" countries, you might need to use higher octane than the
lowest available because they may still be selling extra low octane stuff
that will work in some of the Soviet-era cars.

Old December 4th 04, 10:30 PM
KokomoKid

Old December 5th 04, 07:02 AM
Kagan Gokbayrak

"Biz" > wrote in message >...
> "Kagan Gokbayrak" > wrote in message
> om...
> > (Carsten Poulsen) wrote in message

> . com>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am planning to bring my US Jetta back to Europe and I wonder if
> > > anyone knows if it is possible to drive an "American/Mexican" Jetta in
> > > Europe. The gasolin I use in the US is 87 octane and minimum in Europe
> > > is 92. But from what I know you can't compare these numbers directly,
> > > since the method used to measure the octane is different.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any experience driving American VWs in Europe?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Carsten

> > I am driving a Passat GLX in Turkey. The octane numbers in US, I
> > believe, are calculated by averaging two RON values, and the ones in
> > Europe are showing the maximum of those two. My car accepts 91+ octane
> > in US and I have to get 95+ octane in Turkey. (I am using 98 octane to
> > be safe).
> >
> > If I were you, I would get the speed limiter removed. It costs a lot
> > more here to get it done. I am stuck with a car that can accelerate to
> > 215km/h uphill, but no more even when I go down hill

> Are there no speed limits in Turkey?

Theoretically 120km/h on the "toll" highways. Since people usually
prefer the free highways, there is not much traffic on them and very
little control. The auto control mechanism works there, and the
punishment is the extra bucks paid for the decreased gas mileage.
Old December 5th 04, 07:02 AM
Kagan Gokbayrak

Old December 5th 04, 04:54 PM
Matt B.

"Carsten Poulsen" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to bring my US Jetta back to Europe and I wonder if
> anyone knows if it is possible to drive an "American/Mexican" Jetta in
> Europe. The gasolin I use in the US is 87 octane and minimum in Europe
> is 92. But from what I know you can't compare these numbers directly,
> since the method used to measure the octane is different.
>
> Does anyone have any experience driving American VWs in Europe?

As long as it's unleaded fuel it should be fine.

Most countries allow you to "visit" and bring your car in for a temporary
time period w/o any modifications. If you're going to be registering it
there (to live there) you might have to convert it to Euro specs. But for
just visiting it should be OK.

HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
grrrr this is driving me insane here chatterx Dodge 6 May 26th 04 03:23 PM