Cost of 60,000 mile service for S4

Old October 1st 04, 07:16 PM
John F. Carr

Default Cost of 60,000 mile service for S4

The dealer told me that the cost for the 60,000 mile service
for a 2001 S4 is over $700. Is this a typical price? It seems
excessive to me.

Beyond the regular service items they do spark plug change,
air filter change, and a few other things that don't seem
like they should take four hours and $700. I'm in the
Boston area and is expensive, but that's still a lot of money.

--
John Carr )
Old October 1st 04, 08:02 PM
bill

John,

From what I can gather seeing prices for my 91 200TQ, and seeing other posts
that have had a similar subject matter, that price isn't extremely inflated.
Something that will make it look even worse, is that you may want to do the
timing belt at this point also. I'll let others who are more acquainted
with your engine to confirm or deny that, but generally the group
recomendation (hmm, bit egotistical of me to speak for the group, but
hey...) is around 60,000 miles.

In what part of the "Boston area" do you live? I live in Manchester, NH and
have found a couple really good shops that could probably do the same job
for quite a bit less money. I've also found a few that are about the same.

Enjoy
Bill

91 200 TQ (which will be soon on EBAY in case any one is interested)
96 Chevy K1500

Old October 1st 04, 08:26 PM
Pete

"John F. Carr" wrote
> The dealer told me that the cost for the 60,000 mile service
> for a 2001 S4 is over $700. Is this a typical price? It seems
> excessive to me.

Sounds like typical dealer rates - high part prices and high labor
charges - nothing unusual. If you know of a reputable independent shop,
they may be able to do it for less.

The things you listed are generally DIY items, and buying parts online
can save you a lot of money as well. It's up to you.

Cheers,

Pete

Old October 12th 04, 05:10 PM
Alex

"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
> The dealer told me that the cost for the 60,000 mile service
> for a 2001 S4 is over $700. Is this a typical price? It seems
> excessive to me.
>
> Beyond the regular service items they do spark plug change,
> air filter change, and a few other things that don't seem
> like they should take four hours and $700. I'm in the
> Boston area and is expensive, but that's still a lot of money.

Sounds a bargain to me - I just paid £380 for a 50K mile dealer service on a
2000 1.6 A3!

156 48000 mile service Halmyre Alfa Romeo 2 January 5th 05 09:29 AM
Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
Alfa Romeo Mechanic / Service? Brian Madden Alfa Romeo 1 August 30th 04 11:38 PM
Variable (50K) service on old A3 - UK price? Alex Audi 1 July 8th 04 06:50 PM
Alfa Service Lenny Alfa Romeo 3 July 7th 04 11:34 PM