2004 2.7 TS questions

Old August 15th 04, 01:23 PM
Taone Williams

Default 2004 2.7 TS questions

Greetings All,

I just bought a new 2004 2.7ts and have just completed the 1K mile break-in
period. I have never owned a Quattro or a vehicle with a turbo before.

I was wondering if I could solicit some opinions from other owners on the
following:

1.) Tires - The car came with the 17" Pirelli P 6 four seasons... The
tires don't really seem "ride" very well, do they require more than the 1K
break-in , or is this the stiffer S suspension and quatro ? The steering
wheel vibrates very slightly from side to side on rough or grooved roads....
Is this normal, the tire, or the car??
- By the way my wife's BMW doesn't exhibit this behavior on the same
road...

2.) Idle - When I first start the vehicle, the idle seems a bit high and
the engine has a deep growl (It almost sounds like an exhaust leak) after
about two minutes it subsides. The car occasionally exhibits a bit of a
rough idle (tachometer jumps every so slightly and exhaust putter is
noticeable - even after warm-up.) Again this is intermitent..

- Is this "normal" or a function of having the turbo??

3.) Zenon headlights - While stopped on a dark road, the head lights appear
to "bounce up and down" off of the rear of the vehicle in front of me? I
have zenon's on my wife's BMW and they never bounce at stop lights.. Is this
normal for the car??

4.) When I stop or accelerate rapidly the driver's seat seems "loose" ,
i.e., it feels like it shifts a tiny bit forward or backward.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... BY the way the dealer claims all of
these are "normal" for the car....

Thanks!

Old August 18th 04, 05:39 AM
David Tong

> I just bought a new 2004 2.7ts and have just completed the 1K mile
break-in
> period. I have never owned a Quattro or a vehicle with a turbo before.

You should mention you have a A6 since 2.7ts is not a model name.

All cars should come with quattro. For a turbo car, make sure you go easy
before oil temperature warms up (<150) and let the car idle before shut down
when oil temperature is high (> 225). Always use synthetic oil, Mobil1 0w40
is highly recommended. The Audi maintenance program does not use synthetic
oil so you should ask your dealer to put in synthetic or bring your own.

> 1.) Tires - The car came with the 17" Pirelli P 6 four seasons... The
> tires don't really seem "ride" very well, do they require more than the 1K
> break-in , or is this the stiffer S suspension and quatro ? The steering
> wheel vibrates very slightly from side to side on rough or grooved

roads....
> Is this normal, the tire, or the car??
> - By the way my wife's BMW doesn't exhibit this behavior on the same
> road...

Your car's suspension is relatively soft compare to most BMWs. Sounds like
your tires are the problem. The P6 is not a great tire and a set of better
tires will most likely fix your problem. www.tirerack.com is a good source
for tires.

> 2.) Idle - When I first start the vehicle, the idle seems a bit high and
> the engine has a deep growl (It almost sounds like an exhaust leak) after
> about two minutes it subsides. The car occasionally exhibits a bit of a
> rough idle (tachometer jumps every so slightly and exhaust putter is
> noticeable - even after warm-up.) Again this is intermitent..
>
> - Is this "normal" or a function of having the turbo??

Most car run higher RPMs during warm up. My S4 and ML500 do the same, the
Audi takes about 1 minute but the ML500 only takes about 15 seconds. The
rough idle doesn't sound right to me (I am assuming the idle was jumping up
and down) and you should get your dealer to take a look. They most likely
have to keep the car overnight so they can reproduce the problem next
morning after the car has been sitting for a while.

> 3.) Zenon headlights - While stopped on a dark road, the head lights

appear
> to "bounce up and down" off of the rear of the vehicle in front of me? I
> have zenon's on my wife's BMW and they never bounce at stop lights.. Is

this
> normal for the car??

You have self-leveling lights as do my S4. If you drive on a straight and
flat road for a while, it should stop adjusting.

> 4.) When I stop or accelerate rapidly the driver's seat seems "loose" ,
> i.e., it feels like it shifts a tiny bit forward or backward.

This is also a well known problem for the S4. Bring it back to the dealer.
The whole seat assembly needs to be replaced. May be the problem is not that
bad for now so your dealer is ignoring it but when it gets worse your dealer
should be more than willing to do the repair.

You might want to check out www.audiworld.com for more information.

David

Mitchell on demand 5.6 Estimator q1 2004, Alldata v8 AUDI CD, Jaguar CD, v8 Land Rover, v8 Mercedes, - new ! astra35 Audi 2 April 6th 08 07:06 AM
[FOR SALE] Alfa GT 2004 1.9 JTD 150CV FalconX Alfa Romeo 0 November 7th 04 08:49 PM
Some more newbie questions Ypnos Alfa Romeo 7 June 23rd 04 10:35 AM
Questions from a novice Ash Alfa Romeo 1 June 17th 04 07:43 AM
Xenon headlights - 2001 vs. 2004 Audi Gilbert M. Kowie Audi 1 June 1st 04 05:33 PM