Tires

Old February 12th 05, 09:20 PM
Jacob

Default Tires

I've got a 1995 XLT 4WD Explorer, and want to buy a set of new tires. I
live in Wisconsin, and we get a fair amount of snow. I don't really do any
off road driving, and want the best tire for the vehicle. By "best tire" I
mean safety, noise, wet and dry traction. thanks.

Old February 12th 05, 10:03 PM
Jim Warman

My personal fave (shared by others in this group of misfits) is the Michelin
LTX M/S. Quiet, long tread life, hold balance well and rarely ever a
separation. The tread on these cleans itself much better than the A/S.

Old February 12th 05, 11:51 PM
Bill V

From my experience I will second Jim's pick.
I have owned a 94 and now a 2000 explorer and love the Michelin
tires........put them on the 94 and also
I picked the one from Sears most recently, for the 2000, called the XC LT4
Michelin P255 70 S16 and they are great.

Get the Michelin and you won't be sorry. They are very reliable. the best
pick for the Explorer.

Bill............

news2vPd.27888$K54.21320@edtnps84...

Old February 13th 05, 12:45 AM
Ratbert

I also recommend Michelins. I considered the LTX M/S and ultimately
bought the Cross Terrains. The difference between these and the old
tires I had is night and day. My only regret is that I let the dealer
put crappy tires on during the Firestone recall.
Old February 13th 05, 12:48 AM
Bob

Michelin LTX M/S
Old February 13th 05, 04:03 PM
Big Bill

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:20:39 -0600, "Jacob" > wrote:

>I've got a 1995 XLT 4WD Explorer, and want to buy a set of new tires. I
>live in Wisconsin, and we get a fair amount of snow. I don't really do any
>off road driving, and want the best tire for the vehicle. By "best tire" I
>mean safety, noise, wet and dry traction. thanks.

We had LTX M/S tires on our Expedition, and still have them on our
Explorer.
We put Cross Terrains on the Expedition last time, and they are
better, IMO. They are a slightly rougher riding tire, but wet traction
is better (we just had 3 days of rain here in Phoenix, so I got to
check this out), and gas mileage has improved.
Off road is something I do a little of, and I can't notice a
difference; probably because I'm not hard-core enought to really test
that.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old February 13th 05, 09:20 PM
Ulysses

Me too. I have the Michelins on my '91 and '92 and think they are the best
overall. They wear so long I actually had to get them rebalanced on my '91
at about 40K miles (when other tires are worn out) and they look like they
will go another 40K miles.

.net...

Old February 13th 05, 10:59 PM
Jacob

Has anyone heard of Nokia tires? I was advised by one dealer that the
Nokian Vativa [spelling??] is the best one out there. They are made in
Finland, and are supposed to be good in snow/wet weather as well as year
round.

Old February 14th 05, 12:48 AM
Jim Warman

Heard lots of radio ads and heard lots of sales... no actual experience with
the tires, though. If the tires have the balls to back up the ads, they
should be pretty good.

Michelins, I do have experience with.... The devil I do know is usually
better than the devil I don't...

If you opt for the Nokias, let us know your impressions. I laughed at
Hankooks when I first discovered them.... these are a decent tire for the
price and I have tried them in the past. The Z36 is real good on roads with
sharp gravel.

Old February 14th 05, 12:48 AM
Jacob