Alloy Wheels

Old July 1st 04, 12:13 PM
Tom Boltwood

Default Alloy Wheels

I've just come into some 164 3.0 Super alloys. However, my TSpark is 4 stud
and the 3.0 was 5 Stud. Stupidly, I assumed that 164s would all have the
same wheel fixings. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wheels, so can
anyone tell me:

a) why they have different stud patterns on these models

b) if there's anything I can do to get these wheels on my car.

Old July 1st 04, 02:52 PM
Zathras

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:50:26 +0100, "Anthony Preece"
> wrote:

>I have a 98 TS 156 2.0 and it came with no alloys, 185/65/16. Any
>recommendations on a new set of alloys and tyres?

I still think the veloce telephone dial ones look the best on the 156.
In standard fit they take 205 55 16 tyres. They're not too expensive
either. There are no dead straight lines on a 156 so, if you get
spoked alloys (ones with straight lines) there's a good chance they'll
just look a bit odd. Look at a face-lift 156..the wheels just don't do
it for me!

>Also any recommendations on a rear boot spoiler?

One that's invisible.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old July 1st 04, 05:04 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: Colonel Tupperware >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:21:10 +0100
> Subject: Alloy Wheels
>
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:13:08 +0100, Tom Boltwood >
> wrote:
>
>> I've just come into some 164 3.0 Super alloys. However, my TSpark is 4 stud
>> and the 3.0 was 5 Stud. Stupidly, I assumed that 164s would all have the
>> same wheel fixings. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wheels, so can
>> anyone tell me:
>>
>> a) why they have different stud patterns on these models

> Because they do?
> 5 stud wheels are considered better on fast cars?
> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> function?
> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> studs. Well not odd, just silly.
>>
>> b) if there's anything I can do to get these wheels on my car.

> Fit 5 stud hubs.
> Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
> Are they the same size?

After much searching, new hubs seems to be the answer. It all depends on
whether I will need new discs and calipers with the new hubs. A bloke at my
local garage reckoned it would cost a fortune, but if I can get the hubs off
a scrap 164 V6 it shouldn't be too hard to swap them over should it?
(assuming that the discs and calipers aren't a problem).

Old July 1st 04, 05:25 PM
Frank Claasen

> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> function?
> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope with
(excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
has 4. They did change it later on with the 156 (they all have 5 studs)

> Fit 5 stud hubs.
> Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
> Are they the same size?

Judging from this answer you really know a lot about Alfa's I would folow
your advice any day.
----------
Tom,

Try to selling the wheels is the cheapest option, there are a lot of wery
nice 4 stud aloys that do fit!

Frank

"Colonel Tupperware" > schreef in bericht

Old July 1st 04, 05:45 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "Frank Claasen" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:25:07 +0200
> Subject: Alloy Wheels
>
>> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
>> function?
>> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
>> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

> Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope with
> (excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
> has 4. They did change it later on with the 156 (they all have 5 studs)

You'd think they'd just keep it the same after all, the TSpark came out
after the V6. Maybe they had loads of four stud wheel hubs left over from a
previous model.

Old July 1st 04, 06:35 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:25:07 +0200, "Frank Claasen"
> wrote:

>> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
>> function?
>> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
>> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

>Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope with
>(excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
>has 4.

Sorry but thats bollox.
The only torque the studs have to cope with is that which is applied
through the nuts.

>> Fit 5 stud hubs.
>> Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
>> Are they the same size?

>Judging from this answer you really know a lot about Alfa's I would folow
>your advice any day.

I know next to feck all about alfas, but I do know a lot about other
vehicles.
The number of studs is purely aesthetic. Many low power cars have 5
studs and many high power cars have 4 stud. Generally the bigger the
vehicle the more studs it has.
5 do look better than 4.

Old July 1st 04, 06:45 PM
Pete

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:52:52 +0100, Zathras
>, wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:50:26 +0100, "Anthony Preece"
> wrote:
>
>>I have a 98 TS 156 2.0 and it came with no alloys, 185/65/16. Any
>>recommendations on a new set of alloys and tyres?

>I still think the veloce telephone dial ones look the best on the 156.
>In standard fit they take 205 55 16 tyres. They're not too expensive
>either. There are no dead straight lines on a 156 so, if you get
>spoked alloys (ones with straight lines) there's a good chance they'll
>just look a bit odd. Look at a face-lift 156..the wheels just don't do
>it for me!

Seconded.
Look at group webpage at my car. Notice the difference of
the 156 wearing the 8 holes in the 16 inch wheels.
Look at Paul's 156 with the 5 holes.
Look at Antti's 156 with wire spokes.
Look at Toadyy's 156 with completely different wheels.

>>Also any recommendations on a rear boot spoiler?

>One that's invisible.

Agreed.
However if you must have a 156 spoil er, then
please resist the pram handle (duck) <G>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 1st 04, 06:53 PM
Alfistagj

Only reason is the forces that are applied to the rims when using all the
power the car has.
The studbolts will have to be torqued to a certain level to get the correct
"counter force".
The bolts on the more powerfull cars would have to be "thicker" than the
less powerfull cars and they do not like that.
And the higher torque will result in a too high stress in the bolt.
It's just a matter of down to earth mechnical enigneering!
For that reason they go to 5 bolts of the same size so they can get 25% more
counter force.

Later on they (and many other car makers as well) have decided to go to 5
bolts for the less powerful models as well for standardisation purposes;
more of the same is cheaper!!

And....... 5 looks more sporty than 4, which certainly has been a reason
too!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Tom Boltwood" > schreef in bericht

Old July 1st 04, 10:20 PM
SteveH

Tom Boltwood > wrote:

> > From: "Frank Claasen" >
> > Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> > Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:25:07 +0200
> > Subject: Alloy Wheels
> >
> >> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> >> function?
> >> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> >> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

> > Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope with
> > (excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
> > has 4. They did change it later on with the 156 (they all have 5 studs)

> You'd think they'd just keep it the same after all, the TSpark came out
> after the V6. Maybe they had loads of four stud wheel hubs left over from a
> previous model.

I reckon Alfa used a 4-stud pattern as it allowed access to a lot of
off-the-shelf Fiat parts.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old July 2nd 04, 02:05 PM
MarkK

"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:25:07 +0200, "Frank Claasen"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> >> function?
> >> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> >> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

> >Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope

with
> >(excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
> >has 4.

> Sorry but thats bollox.
> The only torque the studs have to cope with is that which is applied
> through the nuts.

Perhaps you could explain to us exactly how you think the torque from the
engine gets to the tyre's contact patch?

Mark

Bubbly Wheels Halmyre Alfa Romeo 2 June 30th 04 08:49 PM
GT Wheels on a 156 Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 May 15th 04 05:08 PM
Best place to buy Alfa 147 17" wheels (UK) Extra Alfa Romeo 0 April 27th 04 05:06 PM
156 Wheels for sale... Pacman Alfa Romeo 0 April 26th 04 12:30 PM