159 or GT ??

Old July 10th 06, 11:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
hologram

Default 159 or GT ??

After 7 years driving two successive 156s, one a 1.8TS saloon and the
second a 2.0 Selespeed Sportwagon, (plus a few other variations in
between), I'm now weighing up a GT or a 159 as my next Alfa.

For once I don't have to think about this being our main family car
(the wife's getting a Mazda 6 Estate), so I'd be interested in any
experiences good and bad with either the GT or the 159 (thus far).

Whichever I chose, it's gonna be the 1.9JTDM powerplant, for tax and
torque reasons...

Cheers
-Rod-

Old July 11th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

Well, I'm a very happy GT 2.0 JTS driver.
Absolute joy to drive.
And IMHO the best looking Alfa at this moment.
I have the GT in Rosso Radicofani (dark red metallic) .
Also full leather option (tan coloured), 18" rims with 225/40 Michelin Pilot
Sport, Bose sound system with MP3 & BlueTooth
Still a nice comfortable drive (NO lowered suspension though) yet very
sporty.
And the only coupe with a nice large booth, large 3rd door, back seats that
can by flopped over.
If you don't need the ease of a 4 door car, leave the 159 and go for the GT
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

"hologram" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old July 11th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
George Graves

In article .com>,
"hologram" > wrote:

> After 7 years driving two successive 156s, one a 1.8TS saloon and the
> second a 2.0 Selespeed Sportwagon, (plus a few other variations in
> between), I'm now weighing up a GT or a 159 as my next Alfa.
>
> For once I don't have to think about this being our main family car
> (the wife's getting a Mazda 6 Estate), so I'd be interested in any
> experiences good and bad with either the GT or the 159 (thus far).
>
> Whichever I chose, it's gonna be the 1.9JTDM powerplant, for tax and
> torque reasons...
>
> Cheers
> -Rod-

I've driven both extensively. While I wouldn't be able to comment on
overall reliability and longevity (I put about 2500 miles on each over a
two-three week period). I can address other factors. The 159 is very
comfortable, has great visability, and it handles nicely for such sized
car. It feels more sporty than any BMW or Audi or Mercedes that I have
ever driven, But the Diesel engine in the one I had left a lot to be
desired performance-wise. It has fast steering with lots of feedback and
a terrible turning radius of almost 50 ft. Brakes are good, but not
great in the model I had. The interior is a little austere for my tastes
with not enough instrumentation for an Alfa.

The Sprint GT, OTOH, is a fun car with great FWD handling (if, indeed, a
FWD car can have "great handling". Lets just say that this car handles
better than most FWD cars I've driven) and that gorgeous and responsive
old 4-valve Alfa V-6 which will take the GT to 150 mph effortlessly.
Acceleration is adequate, not more. My old 3.0 Liter GTV-6 will get to
60 a lot faster, that's for sure. The GT is reasonably quick, has great
seats, and I had the pleasure of doing 10 laps around Imola in it which
it handled with great aplomb. Like the sedan, not enough instrumentation
to suit me, huge turning circle, but really fast, responsive steering.
The brakes are huge multi-pot Brembos and really haul the GT down.
Handling wise, its a GT car, not a sports car. Its longish wheelbase
makes it more at home on motorways than on twisty mountain roads,
although it will equate itself pretty well on those albeit with lots of
push on turn-in. My biggest complaint about the GT is that you can't see
out. The styling gimmick of the narrow-slit glass ala Audi TT and
Daimler-Chrysler 300 does nothing for visability either forward or out
the side windows. It does look nice though.

--
George Graves
The health of our society is a direct result of the men
Old July 11th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
hologram

Thanks for that, the colour combination I am considering is probably
going to be Alfa Red with Tan Leather. Not entirely convinced on the
Tan leather colour, but seems a worthy combination with Red body.

Cheers

-Rod-

Old July 11th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
hologram

Thanks George, I think I'm getting more convinced about the GT, this is
supposed to be a fun second car, not the main family car, so sounds
like it fits the bill perfectly!

-Rod-

Old July 11th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:53:21 GMT, George Graves >
wrote:

> the Diesel engine in the one I had left a lot to be
>desired performance-wise.

I guess you were in the 1.9?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old July 11th 06, 08:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stephen Poley

On 10 Jul 2006 15:08:17 -0700, "hologram" >
wrote:

>After 7 years driving two successive 156s, one a 1.8TS saloon and the
>second a 2.0 Selespeed Sportwagon, (plus a few other variations in
>between), I'm now weighing up a GT or a 159 as my next Alfa.
>
>For once I don't have to think about this being our main family car
>(the wife's getting a Mazda 6 Estate), so I'd be interested in any
>experiences good and bad with either the GT or the 159 (thus far).
>
>Whichever I chose, it's gonna be the 1.9JTDM powerplant, for tax and
>torque reasons...

I've had a 159 (1.9 JTS) for four months now and am *very* happy with
it. I never had a 156, so I can't do a direct comparison. But on a run
to the Pyrenees it proved a real pleasure to drive, both on the motorway
and on twisty mountain roads.

I gather the back seats in the GT are a bit of a joke (suitable for
children of age four to five) so the choice probably comes down to how
certain you are you'll never need to carry a third person. At least with
the 159 you'll have the option of doing family days out in the Alfa.

--
Stephen Poley
Old July 11th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
hologram

Hi Stephen

Glad to hear the 159 is living up to expectations. I am still not
entirely decided, but think I am leaning towards the GT rather than the
159 - I'd like to give it a couple of years for the "bugs" to come out
first I think!!

-Rod-

Old July 11th 06, 10:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

In real, the tan leather is very nice, with sophisticated stitching in same
colour and it's perforated on seat and back.
Not at all comparable with i.e. the Audi TT tan leather which looks like
Rock shoes with those contrast coloured shoe laces......

Old July 11th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

http://www.alfaromeogt.nl/
Although in Dutch, nice pics of the various colour/option combinations.
Temp. not on-line though.
A lot of full resulution pics of both on www.fiatautopress.com