"'96 Cabrio 2.0 WON'T START.PLEASE HELP!"

Old July 12th 05, 09:40 AM
Kontemplatingmind

Default "'96 Cabrio 2.0 WON'T START.PLEASE HELP!"

So your getting fuel/spark but no start.
The only codes are having to do with missfires.

First thing i would do is have the codes cleared, autozone can do it for free if you dont have vagcom.

The next thing i would do is wait untill dark, then take a spray bottle that has "mist" and spray around the wires and distributor to check for arcing. The wires are very easily broken and can cause what your having trouble with.

I would also check to see if maybe your cap and rotor are corroded.

When was the last time the timing belt was changed??

The reccomended time interval for change on the 2.0L is every 100,000 miles. Usually its a good thing to replace the tensioner pulley, Vbelt and SOMETIMES water pump all at the same time. Most of the time just the pulley and timing belt is all that needs replacing.

If the car is even a notch off timing it will cause missfires, if you dont know when it was last changed i woudl take the timing belt COVER off and look for streaks, breaks or dryrot on the belt. thats a easy way to check it....

post up after doing/checking over this stuff and ill see what else i can try to help with

Ive had almost any problem you can think of with my 1994 Jetta GL with the 2.0L so im pretty knowledgable when it comes to the 4banger

Old August 1st 05, 10:32 PM
Nevermind

I replaced the front 02 sensor,and the misfire codes went away.The car
runs tip-top!!!!

In article >, Kontemplatingmind