95 GC V8 Oil Pan Removal Clearance

Old July 7th 05, 09:11 PM

Default 95 GC V8 Oil Pan Removal Clearance

Will be lowering my oil pan tonight for the second time in 2 days.
Just changed the rear main seal, put everything back together only to
discover a horrible clacking noise on startup. I think it was either
the bell housing cover contacting bolt heads on flywheel or oil pickup
tube hitting rod/engine gear.

I have exaust down, starter removed, oil filter removed suspension
hanging etc. but would still like another 2" of clearance. I don't
want to fight removing/installing the pan and risk knocking the oil
pickup tube out of position. This time I want to create space by
lowering the axle some. So far I supported the axle and dico'd the
lower shocks and loosend the sway bar link. Should I also disco the
lower suspension arm? Would lifting engine be better?

Any comments/tips/advice would be appreciated.

Old July 7th 05, 09:40 PM
Coasty

Put a jack on each side of the body up front, the body will go up and the
suspension will stay down giving you the clearance you need.

--
Coasty
SEMPAR PARATUS

Remove The SPOOGE To Reply
oups.com...

Old July 8th 05, 03:16 PM

Thx Coasty. I got it out last night. Disconnecting the lower shock
mounts and fully loosening the sway bar links on BOTH sides- did the
trick by a hair. I don't understand why the Haynes or the Factory
service manuals don't mention that. I did manage to get it out the
first time w/o doing above but it took 2 hours of twisting, banging,
scratching and tugging on transmission lines to do so. The jeep does
have "up country suspension" package- maybe that has something to do
with it.

Old July 8th 05, 08:34 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So had you managed to bent your intake tube?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 05:00 PM

It was the bell housing cover.