Deer Whistlers - Any Good?

Old November 19th 04, 05:02 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> Actually, while the article does not really say so, from the
> context I would think the 1.5 million may be nationwide.

Yes, I think you're right, Leon--I misunderstood the statistic.

> The 700 moose number is explicitly stated to be Alaska, however. I
> am surprised to see the dead rate (2 out of 700) is so low.

That was 2 dead humans, of course, not 2 dead moose. I don't care what
you're driving, running into an 1800-pound animal is decidedly
nontrivial. Alaskans not being wasteful folk, nearly all of the moose
probably ended up in the freezer.

My own scariest trip, deerwise, was about 50 miles of I-80 west of
Laramie. At least a hundred White-tails were all over the shoulders and
median, mainly in small in groups.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old November 19th 04, 05:16 AM
Chas Hurst

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
> > Actually, while the article does not really say so, from the
> > context I would think the 1.5 million may be nationwide.

> Yes, I think you're right, Leon--I misunderstood the statistic.
>
> > The 700 moose number is explicitly stated to be Alaska, however. I
> > am surprised to see the dead rate (2 out of 700) is so low.

> That was 2 dead humans, of course, not 2 dead moose. I don't care what
> you're driving, running into an 1800-pound animal is decidedly
> nontrivial. Alaskans not being wasteful folk, nearly all of the moose
> probably ended up in the freezer.
>
> My own scariest trip, deerwise, was about 50 miles of I-80 west of
> Laramie. At least a hundred White-tails were all over the shoulders and
> median, mainly in small in groups.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
> '94C
> the alignment page:

You guys need to drive in Pennsylvania. The hunters take over 400,000 deer a
year here. The Game Dept has removed all bag limits on both sexes and only
requests that the hunters buy a $1.00 tag for each deer killed. I don't know
what the road kill numbers are, but I have run into at least four and have
had them run into me while stopped. In one incident the deer attempted to
jump over my car (a 1961 Alfa - top down) and landed on the trunk lid then
slid off onto the road.

My Miata has deer whistles installed by a previous owner. I don't drive much
at night these days so I have no opinion. The local Police Depts claim a
noticable reduction in deer encounters of a close kind.

Old November 19th 04, 11:19 PM
Larry Gadbois

Wasn't it President Truman that remarked after hitting a deer, "The buck
stops here!"?

Old November 20th 04, 02:20 AM
Chas Hurst

"Larry Gadbois" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Wasn't it President Truman that remarked after hitting a deer, "The buck
> stops here!"?

Yup. But Harry is long gone and the buck ain't. The local buck-a very large
10 pointer- has torn up a bunch of saplings around my yard sharpening his
antlers.
I'm tempted to take him down when the weather gets colder.