2003 Saturn Ion brake problem

Old June 5th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 2003 Saturn Ion brake problem

I've got a 2003 Saturn Ion that my wife mainly drives. We bought the
car new. Still under warranty. Anyways there was a problem with some
grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle which I figured
might be the brakes. Dealer confirmed the problems are the brakes and
that one of the rotors got chewed up as well.
This car is not driven harshly as she mainly uses it to shuttle our
kids around. Mileage is on a bit above 14,000 which is the part that
bugs me about the brake pads wearing so quickly.
Dealer wants a chunk of change to fix it. Isn't this something that
they should cover under warranty? I know things like brakes generally
aren't but on a less than 3 year old car with 14K miles seems kinda odd
the brakes would go. Worse comes to worse I guess I will take it to
some other service place to have it fixed.
Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old June 5th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

14,000 miles and the brake pads are shot? Either someone rides the brake
and drives two footed (both left and right front brakes are in the same
condition) or I'd look for a sticking caliper (only one is bad). I'd also
make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted since they should be doing
30-40% of the braking too. Good luck.

Bob

oups.com...