94 accord tilt wheel

Old February 18th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 94 accord tilt wheel

Can anybody help me..? I own a 94 accord LX 4dr.

The tilt wheel lock does not tighten up enuf to hold the steering wheel
secure in any position..

does anybody know of a way to get that black plastic housing off and is
there anything I can do to tighten this up..

thank you,

Bill.

Old February 18th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

> Can anybody help me..? I own a 94 accord LX 4dr.
>
> The tilt wheel lock does not tighten up enuf to hold the steering wheel
> secure in any position..
>
> does anybody know of a way to get that black plastic housing off and is
> there anything I can do to tighten this up..
>
> thank you,
>
> Bill.

-------------------------

Take a look at the TSB for the recalls of ignition switches at this site
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/
It gives the procedure for getting the cowls off the steering column.
You'll have to tighten up the nut that the lever turns and maybe put a
drop of Contact cement on it so it won't need fixing for another 12
years. The nut came with white paint on it from the factory. Contact
cement is easier to work with. My '97 CR-V had the same problem. Lever
would fall down.

'Curly'
Old February 18th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

thank you.. i think a trip to the library is in order..I think they
have chiltons repair books there...I saw the sight you recommended, but
it sounded a bit complex for what I needed to get done..

Thank you again..

Bill

Old February 18th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

> thank you.. i think a trip to the library is in order..I think they
> have chiltons repair books there...I saw the sight you recommended, but
> it sounded a bit complex for what I needed to get done..
>
> Thank you again..
>
> Bill

-------------------

Sorry, I didn't realize the TSB didn't tell you how the covers come off.
:-(

Here's a link to a PDF that shows the installation of the alarm system
in a '97 CR-V. Removing the covers is explained.

http://www.hondasuv.com/pdf/crv/firs...ritysystem.pdf

On your Accord (and most Hondas of that era) there's a long bolt that
goes thru the hinge point of the steering column. The big adjustment
lever you're talking about has the 'nut' welded on it. You need to go to
the other end of the bolt and tighten it up. About 1/2 turn will
probably snug it up. You'll see it has white paint on it as a LOCK. Use
contact cement or paint to re-lock it when you're done.

The Chilton's manual for your Accord would be a good investment, and
very interesting reading too.

'Curly'
Old February 18th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Well, the trip to the library and all your help made it a breeze...I
had all the screws out of the housing, but it was a bit stubborn when I
had to pull the clips apart..but it came apart perfectly...and after
inspecting it, I found the exact bolt you were referring too...the bolt
did have white paint on it and all it required was about a quarter turn
counter-clockwise (I think its reverse threading)....and that snugged
ot right up...cake

thanks for the help..

Bill