"Honda Civic is surprising"

Old February 27th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default "Honda Civic is surprising"

Honda Civic is surprising
Anytime the price of gasoline rises significantly, many prospective car
buyers think maybe they should veer away from the big chug-a-luggers
and buy something that sips the increasingly precious fuel.
at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...5219-9023r.htm

Old February 27th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Mike wrote:
> Honda Civic is surprising
> snip
> at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...5219-9023r.htm

I suspect the goodness of the new Civic isn't much of a surprise to
anyone monitoring this newsgroup.

The review did mention not meeting EPA mpg estimates. I used an Integra
for commuting as well as typical family chores. I found I consistently
exceeded EPA when commuting but failed to meet EPA when I put more
weight into the car. Was my experience typical?

Old February 27th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2006-02-27, Mike > wrote:
> Honda Civic is surprising
> Anytime the price of gasoline rises significantly, many prospective car
> buyers think maybe they should veer away from the big chug-a-luggers
> and buy something that sips the increasingly precious fuel.

It's been my experience that one of the reasons for the switch back to
behemoths is the "cramping" of car interiors since the early 90s. My
'87 Si hatchback has more leg room and interior space than most of the
cars currently on the road. I suspect some of this is due to
increasing overall integrity and body strength for safeties sake, but
some of it is completely baffling to me.

I first noticed it in a Lincold Mark VII. I got in on the passenger
side and couldn't believe how little room there was. This was no
doubt due to the fact I once owned a Lincoln Mark V, that notorious 2
door pimp-mobile with bucket seats the size of Barcaloungers. But,
it was not just some cars. Both the 3rd and 4th gen civics were quite
roomy, whereas the 5th gen hatchbacks are positively stiffling. I can
get lost in my 3rd gen Camaro, whereas anything harder than a stopsign
stop will kneecap anyone in a 4th gen Camaro. In fact, I haven't
experienced a dashboard further than 3 inches from my kneecaps since
about '93. No wonder the proliferation of Ford Exibitions and
Incursions.

nb