interior window problem

Old February 22nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default interior window problem

Hi,

After washing car and underbody spray, then drying and also driving it
for couple of days I opened the window on driver side. When the window
was closed back up there was alot of water smeared on the inside
window. Its coming from inside the door and leaving streaks of water
all the way up the interior window. the exterior window is dry.

Also, I felt around the seals and the inside lining feel dry to the
touch, but I can't see whats going on deeper inside the door.

Anyway, I've never seen this on any car i've washed except my own
(honda civic '05 2dr).

Is this normal? I can't figure out why the water is getting in there
and also not draining completely after 2 days of driving

Old February 22nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

yb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After washing car and underbody spray, then drying and also driving it
> for couple of days I opened the window on driver side. When the window
> was closed back up there was alot of water smeared on the inside
> window. Its coming from inside the door and leaving streaks of water
> all the way up the interior window. the exterior window is dry.
>
> Also, I felt around the seals and the inside lining feel dry to the
> touch, but I can't see whats going on deeper inside the door.
>
> Anyway, I've never seen this on any car i've washed except my own
> (honda civic '05 2dr).
>
> Is this normal? I can't figure out why the water is getting in there
> and also not draining completely after 2 days of driving

The only thing I can think of is, that the plastic that goes on the
inside of the door is gone or torn/ripped and when you wash the car the
the door panel is getting wet and holding moisture.

There are drains on the bottom of the door so I doubt if the door
itself is holding water unless they are somehow clogged, plus the
doorglass would have water on both sides if this were the case.

I would pull the door panel off and make sure the plastic is there and
that it doesn't have any rips and is secured properly.

Old February 22nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In the old days it used to be plastic but on most cars today it is a heavy
duty fabric insulating material. I don't know about the Civic in particular
but considering how thin the doors are and how quiet the car is, I would
think they went with heavy duty insulation. I would look for plugged drain
holes that made the water drain slowly and the insulation got extremely wet
and is still wet. That would explain water on only one side. If the car was
undercoated poorly, plugged drain holes would not be a surprise.

ups.com...

Old February 22nd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"yb" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi,
>
> After washing car and underbody spray, then drying and also driving it
> for couple of days I opened the window on driver side. When the window
> was closed back up there was alot of water smeared on the inside
> window. Its coming from inside the door and leaving streaks of water
> all the way up the interior window. the exterior window is dry.

There are little plastic pads with flocking on them at the top of the
windows. They prevent rattling when the window is partly open. You may have
got the inner one wet. It will probably stay like this for quite a while.
Replacing the pads involves removing the glass.

If the wetness is all over the window and not just in one spot, then you
got water on the flocked weatherstripping that's part of the door trim
panel.

Either way, it will dry out eventually. Just be more careful when washing
the car. Keep pressure sprays away from the windows.

> Also, I felt around the seals and the inside lining feel dry to the
> touch, but I can't see whats going on deeper inside the door.
>
> Anyway, I've never seen this on any car i've washed except my own
> (honda civic '05 2dr).
>
> Is this normal? I can't figure out why the water is getting in there
> and also not draining completely after 2 days of driving

You mean there's water inside the door at the bottom and it's not draining?
Can you hear it sloshing around? If so, the drain holes are plugged, and
this is usually due to the use of gummy rustproofing. Take a plastic straw
like the kind that comes with a DW-40 can, and poke the drain holes clear.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 22nd 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Art wrote:
> In the old days it used to be plastic but on most cars today it is a heavy
> duty fabric insulating material. I don't know about the Civic in particular
> but considering how thin the doors are and how quiet the car is, I would
> think they went with heavy duty insulation. I would look for plugged drain
> holes that made the water drain slowly and the insulation got extremely wet
> and is still wet. That would explain water on only one side. If the car was
> undercoated poorly, plugged drain holes would not be a surprise.

The newer cars (probably 90 and up and some from the 80's) all have
plastic on the inside of the door that is stuck to the door with butyl
tape that keeps water from getting on the door panel and or insulation.

If this has been removed, come loose or is ripped, the door panel and
or insulation will get wet from washing or rain. If the panel and or
insulation is damp/wet, when you roll the window down the inside of the
window can get condensation on it from all of the moisture.

In the "old" days they used paper that had a water repellent coating on
it. In the "old" days if this paper was removed on certain cars
(Mustang come to mind) you would actually get water in the car because
of the way the bottom of the door and door sill met.

BTW, the Civic's only have plastic.