increasing number of vehicles with nonfunctional stuff on them?

Old January 17th 05, 03:39 PM
N8N

Default increasing number of vehicles with nonfunctional stuff on them?

I can't believe I'm actually posting this message, but I am going to
have to say that I'm becoming more and more in favor of annual safety
inspections for vehicles. It seems like more and more people just
don't maintain their rides. I have heard, in the last week, a vehicle
with a terminal-sounding rod knock; seen a vehicle with an obviously
blown head gasket, and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
vehicle at all except for the third brake light. Now if these are the
*obvious* issues immediately identified by a cursory glance from a
passing vehicle, what else is being neglected? Brakes? Suspension?
Critical drivetrain parts like the driveshaft that could actually pose
a safety risk should it fail? It seems fairly likely...

The scary thing is, I live in a fairly affluent area. I am probably on
the very bottom end of the salary range for this area, it's not like
people are scraping to get by - or if they are, they don't show it. My
16 year old car is the exception, anything over 10 years old is highly
unusual. It would appear that people just don't care, or don't have
enough mechanical knowledge to even identify serious problems...

nate

Old January 17th 05, 04:35 PM
Paul

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I can't believe I'm actually posting this message, but I am going to
> have to say that I'm becoming more and more in favor of annual safety
> inspections for vehicles. It seems like more and more people just
> don't maintain their rides. I have heard, in the last week, a vehicle
> with a terminal-sounding rod knock; seen a vehicle with an obviously
> blown head gasket, and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
> vehicle at all except for the third brake light. Now if these are the
> *obvious* issues immediately identified by a cursory glance from a
> passing vehicle, what else is being neglected? Brakes? Suspension?
> Critical drivetrain parts like the driveshaft that could actually pose
> a safety risk should it fail? It seems fairly likely...

Around here, such an inspection would get about 1/3 of the cars off the
road for safety violations and another 1/3 for illegal modifications
(illegal mufflers - or maybe non mufflers would be a better word,
illegal lighting etc...). Hmmmmmm, maybe such an inspection program
would not bu such a bad idea if run properly.....

> The scary thing is, I live in a fairly affluent area. I am probably

on
> the very bottom end of the salary range for this area, it's not like
> people are scraping to get by - or if they are, they don't show it.

My
> 16 year old car is the exception, anything over 10 years old is highly
> unusual. It would appear that people just don't care, or don't have
> enough mechanical knowledge to even identify serious problems...

Or they just don't give a damn. Kinda hard for them to afford the health
club to drive to and insipid toys for their over indulged children (not
to mention the gobs of $$$ they throw away into college investment
schemes so some tenured red-bag can fill said children's heads with
useless crap in 20 years or so) if they were required to actually
*maintain* their automobiles for the safety of the rest of us....

Old January 17th 05, 04:35 PM
Paul

oups.com...

Old January 17th 05, 04:54 PM
Dave Head

On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

>I can't believe I'm actually posting this message, but I am going to
>have to say that I'm becoming more and more in favor of annual safety
>inspections for vehicles. It seems like more and more people just
>don't maintain their rides. I have heard, in the last week, a vehicle
>with a terminal-sounding rod knock;

Not a safety problem.

>seen a vehicle with an obviously
>blown head gasket,

Not a safety problem.

>and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

Doesn't need an inspection, just a cop that will pull it over.

>Now if these are the
>*obvious* issues immediately identified by a cursory glance from a
>passing vehicle, what else is being neglected? Brakes? Suspension?
>Critical drivetrain parts like the driveshaft that could actually pose
>a safety risk should it fail? It seems fairly likely...

I live in Virginia which as an inspection system. Its a hassle and is useless.
You'd have thought that they'd have told me that the brakes were within a year
of needing replaced, but no - mine failed about 5 months later. They don't
wear that fast, so the inspectors _should_ have known it, but didn't bother to
mention it.

Driveshaft problem won't be picked up in an inspection - they don't drive 'em
in order to be able to feel the vibration.

>The scary thing is, I live in a fairly affluent area. I am probably on
>the very bottom end of the salary range for this area, it's not like
>people are scraping to get by - or if they are, they don't show it. My
>16 year old car is the exception, anything over 10 years old is highly
>unusual. It would appear that people just don't care, or don't have
>enough mechanical knowledge to even identify serious problems...
>
>nate

Some states have had inspections and abandoned them. Indiana. Ohio. North
Carolina. Those are just the ones I know about.

Wasting time and money on this simply diverts effort that could be expended on
more effective remedies, like adding lanes to existing roads and building new
roads. This would lower congestion and save a lot more lives than are lost
from mechanical problems.

Old January 17th 05, 04:54 PM
Dave Head

On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

>I can't believe I'm actually posting this message, but I am going to
>have to say that I'm becoming more and more in favor of annual safety
>inspections for vehicles. It seems like more and more people just
>don't maintain their rides. I have heard, in the last week, a vehicle
>with a terminal-sounding rod knock;

Not a safety problem.

>seen a vehicle with an obviously
>blown head gasket,

Not a safety problem.

Old January 17th 05, 04:59 PM
Brent P

In article .com>, N8N wrote:
> Now if these are the
> *obvious* issues immediately identified by a cursory glance from a
> passing vehicle, what else is being neglected? Brakes? Suspension?
> Critical drivetrain parts like the driveshaft that could actually pose
> a safety risk should it fail? It seems fairly likely...
>
> The scary thing is, I live in a fairly affluent area.

Ditto for my observations in similiar areas. People with money who won't
spend a couple of bucks to replace tail lamps.

In the poorer areas I am more likely to hear things like rod knock,
obviously bad suspensions and other horrors, but generally I find that the
one-working-tail-lamp vehicles are somewhat less common. My only guess
is because of enforcement. Nobody is going to pull over the 65 year old
white woman driving the '00 mercedes for burned out brake lamp. However,
the 22 year old black male in the '84 oldsmobile delta 88.....

Old January 17th 05, 04:59 PM
Brent P

Old January 17th 05, 05:31 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

>> I have heard, in the last week, a vehicle
>>with a terminal-sounding rod knock;

> Not a safety problem.

I think a rod coming through the block would be....

>>seen a vehicle with an obviously blown head gasket,

> Not a safety problem.

Ever been behind a vehicle with an obviously blow head gasket?
There is this HUGE amount of steam coming out of the tailpipe. It's like
driving in a thick fog with a sickly-sweet smell of coolant.

>>and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
>>vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

> Doesn't need an inspection, just a cop that will pull it over.

HAH! Maybe if the driver is 20, it's 2am, and he's obeying the speed
limit. Anyone they don't want to check out or harrass will not be stopped
for it.

Old January 17th 05, 05:31 PM
Brent P

Old January 17th 05, 08:47 PM
N8N

Dave Head wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2005 06:39:17 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>
> >I can't believe I'm actually posting this message, but I am going to
> >have to say that I'm becoming more and more in favor of annual

safety
> >inspections for vehicles. It seems like more and more people just
> >don't maintain their rides. I have heard, in the last week, a

vehicle
> >with a terminal-sounding rod knock;

> Not a safety problem.

It is if it blows on the road.

> >seen a vehicle with an obviously
> >blown head gasket,

> Not a safety problem.

Sure it is, if a vehicle is running without one or more cylinders
having compression, it's very down on power.

> >and finally one with no lights on the rear of the
> >vehicle at all except for the third brake light.

> Doesn't need an inspection, just a cop that will pull it over.

Why are these vehicles so common then?

> >Now if these are the
> >*obvious* issues immediately identified by a cursory glance from a
> >passing vehicle, what else is being neglected? Brakes? Suspension?
> >Critical drivetrain parts like the driveshaft that could actually

pose
> >a safety risk should it fail? It seems fairly likely...

> I live in Virginia which as an inspection system. Its a hassle and

is useless.
> You'd have thought that they'd have told me that the brakes were

within a year
> of needing replaced, but no - mine failed about 5 months later. They

don't
> wear that fast, so the inspectors _should_ have known it, but didn't

bother to
> mention it.

They should have picked up on it, you're right.

> Driveshaft problem won't be picked up in an inspection - they don't

drive 'em
> in order to be able to feel the vibration.

They don't? Ought to... they do here (MD) problem is, the inspection
is a once-only deal when you buy the car so once it passes it can turn
into a festering POS and nobody's the wiser, so long as you don't get
pulled over.

> >The scary thing is, I live in a fairly affluent area. I am probably

on
> >the very bottom end of the salary range for this area, it's not like
> >people are scraping to get by - or if they are, they don't show it.

My
> >16 year old car is the exception, anything over 10 years old is

highly
> >unusual. It would appear that people just don't care, or don't have
> >enough mechanical knowledge to even identify serious problems...
> >
> >nate

> Some states have had inspections and abandoned them. Indiana. Ohio.

North
> Carolina. Those are just the ones I know about.
>
> Wasting time and money on this simply diverts effort that could be

expended on
> more effective remedies, like adding lanes to existing roads and

building new
> roads. This would lower congestion and save a lot more lives than

are lost
> from mechanical problems.

I dunno, I think nonfunctional signals are quite the problem... then
again, I see lots of vehicles with apparently functional lighting and
the drivers can't be arsed to use their signals, and they don't get
pulled over either...

nate