so what do you do?

Old January 17th 05, 11:39 AM
Bob Lutz

Default so what do you do?

.... when you realize its YOU that has road rage?

I've been lurking here for a while, only recently started posting. I've
read a lot of different POV's on the driving experience, and I'm realizing
a lot of these behaviors fit me.

I'm not into 'sloth'. I generally drive at or near the prevailing speed
on a given road, regardless of the speed limit. Most of the roads I drive
in my daily commute are posted at either 55 or 65, traffic usually does
5-8 above that.

My problem is I get mad, like in-fookin-furiated when I run up on ol'
farmer Bob poking along at 40. If I can make a safe pass and be done with
him, then its not a problem. But, passing can be difficult on one
particular road due to heavy oncoming traffic, especially when one drives
a horribly underpowered Toyota van. Then I find myself doing unsafe
stuff, like passing him in a left turn lane and the approaches to it. The
road in question is 2 lanes, with a left-turn lane at some intersections.

Question, is how do you combat this? I really don't want to be an asshole
driver, or a MFFYer, or anything like that. What do you do to calm
yourself [aside from the obvious bong? ] I'm trying to change things,
like listening to mellower music instead of what I usually do.

I don't do ALL the bad behaviors I see. I keep right unless actually
passing. When I do pass [HAH!], I get it over with and return to the
right lane. If I see cars backing up behind me and don't see a passing
oppurtunity, I'll pull off on the wide shoulder and let people by.

But when its me thats held up omG do I get ****ed off.

I'd love to hear some of your takes on this.
Old January 17th 05, 06:04 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

You're a psychopath and belong in prison. Why else would you get
infuriated just because someone drives slower than you. If some guy
doing 40 slows you down for a minute or two, what of it?

Old January 17th 05, 06:30 PM
Olaf Gustafson

You join the mothers!
Old January 17th 05, 06:30 PM
Olaf Gustafson

You join the mothers!
Old January 17th 05, 08:57 PM

Because we've got more important things to do than sit behind some
moron who doesn't know how to drive?

I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that, because you are stupid enough
to post in alt.flame.******s, as well as to not know the difference
between 6 & 60, or a stop sign and a red light, or drunken politician
Tubby Kennedy's murderous act and Laura Welch's accident.

Old January 17th 05, 09:01 PM
Magnulus

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> That's natural. Everybody gets angry when someone else wrongs them.
> Some out there would have you believe that you can control your
> emotions to such an extent that you do not get angry, but that's a
> lie. These people might be suppressing their emotions, but they're
> still there - and it's not healthy to gunnysack.

You are assuming everybody has the same emotional responses to
situations, and that's not true. A persons response to things is controlled
by their mental schema, their worldview.

Take the person stuck behind the slow driver. Depending on how a person
views the situation, it can be more or less annoying- it all depends on how
the driver views it. A person with little empathy and alot of hostility
will react angrily to the other driver, projecting onto the slow driver his
own hostility. "That ******* just likes to hold everybody else up", he
might think. A driver with more empathy and less hostility might be a bit
put off by the slower driving, but will try to think of alternative reasons
for driving slow, ones that don't involve projection of their hostility.
Perhaps the driver is an older driver and driving slower is comfortable?
Maybe the other driver is not aware they are driving too slowely- perhaps
they are doing the speed limit, and the other driver is not?

I don't think people involved in road rage are necessarily psychopaths,
but they do tend to obviously have more hostility than other people. They
also seem to be impatient and to lack empathy. They might also be ignorant
of things as simple as physics; the whole trend towards creating the
"SUV-as-cocoon" tends to insulate people from the fact they are driving at
high speeds and only seconds away from potential pain or death. A few weeks
ago there was a deadly road rage incident between two women in SUV's. One
of them threw a soda cup at the other one and it caused them to lose control
of the SUV.

Old January 17th 05, 09:01 PM
Magnulus

Old January 18th 05, 09:33 AM
Bob Lutz

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:49:40 -0800, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> No matter what you choose to call it, repressed emotion is repressed
> emotion. Experts agree it's not healthy. That's why I express myself
> immediately, get the anger out of my system, and quickly forget about the
> incident (usually right after I post about it in this group). This policy
> has done wonders for my mental health. Kinda like Primal Scream therapy.

Repressed emotion... that makes sense, actually. I deal with a lot of
really clueless people [fast-food drive-thru] and there are times I'm
pretty frazzled.