why do people pay for these plates???

Old January 17th 05, 07:42 AM
AZGuy

Default why do people pay for these plates???

Everyone knows what vanity plates are. You get a new Z car and get
vanity plates that say Z ONE or something.

But every so often I see a car, lets say a NISSAN, where the owner has
shelled out the bucks for a vanity plate that says NISSAN. Or they
have a Ford F-150 and get plates that say F-150. What's the point????
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 18th 05, 01:31 AM
Dave Stone

AZGuy wrote:
> Everyone knows what vanity plates are. You get a new Z car and get
> vanity plates that say Z ONE or something.
>
> But every so often I see a car, lets say a NISSAN, where the owner has
> shelled out the bucks for a vanity plate that says NISSAN. Or they
> have a Ford F-150 and get plates that say F-150. What's the point????
> --
> Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

strange, I never see many vanity plates in Michigan. The few I do are
usually the person's name spelled out somehow creative or Dr. (something).

I have noticed more cars with stickers of either the make/model on the
upper part of the front windshield. In Michigan this is usually seen on
the Pontiac Grand Am or Grand Pix. I did see someone with a canary
yellow Ford Ranger that had a Honda sticker though..
Old January 18th 05, 01:31 AM
Dave Stone

Old January 19th 05, 12:17 AM
Olaf Gustafson

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:42:49 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:

>Everyone knows what vanity plates are. You get a new Z car and get
>vanity plates that say Z ONE or something.
>
>But every so often I see a car, lets say a NISSAN, where the owner has
>shelled out the bucks for a vanity plate that says NISSAN. Or they
>have a Ford F-150 and get plates that say F-150. What's the point????

They're too unimaginative to come up with anything better.

I was behind a car that had the license plate 111-AAA the other day
(or was it AAA-111?)...It was on a Cavalier (or something similarly
uninteresting).

I'm still wondering if that was a vanity plate.
Old January 19th 05, 12:17 AM
Olaf Gustafson

Old January 19th 05, 12:23 AM
Olaf Gustafson

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:51:13 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:42:49 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:
>
>>Everyone knows what vanity plates are. You get a new Z car and get
>>vanity plates that say Z ONE or something.
>>
>>But every so often I see a car, lets say a NISSAN, where the owner has
>>shelled out the bucks for a vanity plate that says NISSAN. Or they
>>have a Ford F-150 and get plates that say F-150. What's the point????

>People are idiots.
>
>Nothing says "LOSER" quite like a "FAST VET" vanity plate mounted on a
>minivan.
>
>These people also buy licence plate frames, windshield strips, and
>stickers that say "NISSAN" or "F-150" on them. As if the badges they
>put on at the factory aren't enough to convince people...

There's a new Camaro in my neighborhood - well, actually probably
about 10 years old, but it's new to the neighborhood.

It's got either Chevrolet or Camaro on the windshield strip, twice on
the hood, 1 on each side, and one in the back window.

I haven't met him, but naturally everyone refers to him as "Camaro
Guy".

My guess is that he has a hard time remembering it's a Chevy Camaro.
Old January 19th 05, 12:23 AM
Olaf Gustafson

Old January 19th 05, 01:59 PM
Paul

"AZGuy" > wrote in message
news
> Everyone knows what vanity plates are. You get a new Z car and get
> vanity plates that say Z ONE or something.
>
> But every so often I see a car, lets say a NISSAN, where the owner has
> shelled out the bucks for a vanity plate that says NISSAN. Or they
> have a Ford F-150 and get plates that say F-150. What's the point????

Well, two old sayings come to mind on the reasoning for people getting
vanity plates period, and ones like the tags you describe:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

and

"There is a sucker born every minute."

Old January 20th 05, 03:41 PM
Sam O'Nella

Let 'em pay a stupid tax.

Collector plates rgf Corvette 8 February 4th 05 02:25 PM
LOOK OUT FOR STOLEN PLATES MA 7631TL Dave C. Driving 10 January 7th 05 03:18 AM
License Plates - Antiques, porcelains. many more PL8Seditor Antique cars 0 January 26th 04 01:54 AM
Custom Made Number Plates for your Classic Car Camper Man Antique cars 0 August 4th 03 12:57 PM