98 Maxima/Start-up Blue Smoke

Old August 26th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Cool Breeze

Default 98 Maxima/Start-up Blue Smoke

Hi, my 98' Maxima has about 126,000 miles; it runs great; burns about
one quart of oil every 2,200 miles; and all other fluid levels are
perfect and so far require no topping off.

Problem: If I've driven it hard the night before, it tends to smoke
from the tailpipe upon starting (blue smoke). The cloud could be big,
but after a second or less, nothing comes out from the tailpipe.

Assuming I'm looking at a valve guide seal job, anyone know what would
be a fair price? Is it worth the hassle? I'm looking to keep it for a
few more years.

Thanks.

Old August 27th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_34_]

Cool Breeze Wrote:
> Hi, my 98' Maxima has about 126,000 miles; it runs great; burns about
> one quart of oil every 2,200 miles; and all other fluid levels are
> perfect and so far require no topping off.
>
> Problem: If I've driven it hard the night before, it tends to smoke
> from the tailpipe upon starting (blue smoke). The cloud could be big,
> but after a second or less, nothing comes out from the tailpipe.
>
> Assuming I'm looking at a valve guide seal job, anyone know what would
> be a fair price? Is it worth the hassle? I'm looking to keep it for a
> few more years.
>
> Thanks.

For that kinda slight usage, and an instantly clearing huff of oil
smoke on cold start, I could not justify a valve job...it'll run for
years like that....you're talking probably a grand or right around for
a quality job...might get it done for less...might end up with a motor
that uses more oil than it did to begin with also, if not done right,
then what?

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 27th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
NN[_1_]

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> Cool Breeze Wrote:
> > Hi, my 98' Maxima has about 126,000 miles; it runs great; burns about
> > one quart of oil every 2,200 miles; and all other fluid levels are
> > perfect and so far require no topping off.
> >
> > Problem: If I've driven it hard the night before, it tends to smoke
> > from the tailpipe upon starting (blue smoke). The cloud could be big,
> > but after a second or less, nothing comes out from the tailpipe.
> >
> > Assuming I'm looking at a valve guide seal job, anyone know what would
> > be a fair price? Is it worth the hassle? I'm looking to keep it for a
> > few more years.
> >
> > Thanks.

> For that kinda slight usage, and an instantly clearing huff of oil
> smoke on cold start, I could not justify a valve job...it'll run for
> years like that....you're talking probably a grand or right around for
> a quality job...might get it done for less...might end up with a motor
> that uses more oil than it did to begin with also, if not done right,
> then what?
>

> --
> jeffcoslacker
> jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638
> View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=611278
>
> http://www.automotiveforums.com

It will drive for years. Or at least my friend has been driving his
Mitsubishi montero v 6 that long with morning smoke. Jeffcoslacker
pointed out really good points

Exhaust smoke after 5 minutes? Paul Barrett Technology 2 August 14th 06 03:28 PM
blue smoke on startup TB Technology 3 July 26th 06 01:45 PM
Weird oil burning problem Mike Romain Technology 1 October 1st 05 03:23 AM
Are japs controlling the Blue Ribbon Coalition? Sportsmen Against Bush 4x4 6 December 20th 03 03:58 AM