My First Mustang!

Old August 19th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Default My First Mustang!

Terry Brannigan wrote:
> Hello all!
> I am looking at purchasing my first Mustang after all my years of driving
> Minivans and station wagons (remember those?!).

It's great to be a kid again, isn't it?

> I have been doing a lot of research and even rented a 2006 Mustang
> Convertible V6 from Hertz for a day just to get an idea what it drove
> like. The last Mustang I drove was a 2004 40th anniversary convertible
> model, also a V6 from Hertz and I was not impressed with the engine.

Me neither! What a pig. Very uninspiring styling, too.

> As I understand it the 2005+ V6 is a different motor than the 3.8L that
> was used in previous V6 Mustangs?

Completly differant. You should rent another one for a week end. The V6/Auto is
an excellent combo. It's a 4.0L detuned V6 mod motor. Same as the V8 but with two
cylinders lopped off the front. It's detuned so it doesn;t compete with the GT.
With some very simple changes you can get GT performance.

> Is the 2005 V8 the same as say a 2003 GT?

No, much improved.

> The reason I ask is that I can afford a new V6 coupe, MAYBE a new V6
> Convertible, but I can't afford a new GT and a GT convertible is out of
> the question.

I like a vert. But in the Mustang, the hardtop looks so much better, I'de get
the hard top.

> I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 GT convertible Ford 100th
> anniversary model, loaded, with 16k miles on it from a dealer for about
> $19k.

Not a chance! I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10' crescent wrench.

> I would love to have a GT convertible and this is one way I could do it
> but I am not sure if I would rather have the newer style, if only for the
> improvements Ford has made.

The new car is a vast improvement over the 2003. The only thing they have in
common is the name.

> I am scheduling a test drive to compare.
> Anything I should look out for with the older model?
>
> If I buy a new V6 I can get a Ford 'X plan' price so that is a
> consideration.
> Dealers aren't bargaining on the GT's at all and most are priced near $30k
> which is too much.
>
> I also need an automatic.

Salesman in my are are really dealing on the V6's. A V6 auto is about 10K less
than the GT similarly equipped. And you'de be surprised how little power differance
there is between the two engines.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old August 19th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Lanson

"Terry Brannigan" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:24:01 -0600, .boB wrote:
>

>> It's great to be a kid again, isn't it?

> Yea it sure is!
>
> Now I understand why my dad wanted to buy that VW Karmanghia Vert. when I
> was growing up and he was in his late 40's.
> I didn't understand it then, but I sure do now!
>

>> Me neither! What a pig. Very uninspiring styling, too.

> Yea, the car was yellow and a vert so that sort of made up for it, but the
> 3.8l motor was a pig.
> I drove it for about a week as a rental.
>
>>> As I understand it the 2005+ V6 is a different motor than the 3.8L that
>>> was used in previous V6 Mustangs?

>> Completly differant. You should rent another one for a week end.
>> The V6/Auto is

> I'd love to but it's very difficult to get them from Hertz.
> I rent a lot of cars, due to business, and my company is one of Hertz's
> largest customers and even *I* have a tough time getting one.
>
> I was pretty impressed with the 2006 I rented. It was a vert, had the pony
> package but no interior upgrade package.
>
> I've basically figured out I want Vista Blue with the Pony Package mostly
> due to the suspension upgrade and also the interior upgrade package.
> I will need an automatic as well, but that's about all I need to keep me
> happy.
>
> Are there any other options that people find are "must haves" ?
>
> I'm trying to find a 2006, but that doesn't look good so I'll most like
> order a 2007.
> Also the warranty increased for 2007 I believe which is a plus.
>

>> an excellent combo. It's a 4.0L detuned V6 mod motor. Same as the V8
>> but with two cylinders lopped off the front. It's detuned so it doesn;t
>> compete with the GT. With some very simple changes you can get GT
>> performance.

> Any pointers?
>
> I've read about the EPROM flash to get rid of the torque limiter and I
> suppose a decent cold air intake might help a bit?

where can you get the program to get rid of the torque limiter?

> Yes/no?

cold air helps, but it cost $300

Old August 19th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

Terry Brannigan wrote:

>>an excellent combo. It's a 4.0L detuned V6 mod motor. Same as the V8
>>but with two cylinders lopped off the front. It's detuned so it doesn;t
>>compete with the GT. With some very simple changes you can get GT
>>performance.

> Any pointers?
>
> I've read about the EPROM flash to get rid of the torque limiter and I
> suppose a decent cold air intake might help a bit?
> Yes/no?
>
> I don't like KN stuff because of the oil and MAF not playing well together
> over the long haul.

Go down to your local book store and pick up a copy of Mustangs and Fast Fords.
Lots of advertisers in there.
Simple things will make a big differance. Cold air, computer reprogram, lighter
drive shaft, better tires, lower gearing, etc. Standard hot rod stuff we've been
doing to Mustangs for decades.
K&N stuff is OK. It's been a standard of the industry for a long time. I have
K&N filters on a number of my vehicles. But I think there are now some better
choices available for specific applications like the Mustang.

Old August 20th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Terry Brannigan wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:15:53 -0500, Jim Lanson wrote:
>

> > where can you get the program to get rid of the torque limiter?

> Hi Jim!
>
> Look he
>
> http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng/Mustang.htm
>
> A lot of good information from John and Tammy!

Hey! I know that guy! LOL!

Just a couple of comments...

Yes, reprogramming/re-flashing/re-tuning a V6 autotmatic makes a HUGE
difference... It is truly a night and day difference! I mean you will
not believe you are driving the same car!!! The Torque Limiter really
kills the off the line preformance of the V6 automatic... It is the
best $400 you will ever spend on the car! LOL! And it is incredibly
simple to use! Just plug it in, follow the on screen instructions, hit
a button or two and your done! Need to take your car in for warranty
work? Simply use the "Return to Stock" option! It really is that easy!

The tuner/programmer I recommend for automatics is the SCT X-Cal2.
There are a number of good shops out there selling X-Cal2 but for an
automatic I highly recommend Lidio at Alternative Auto. Here is his
write up on his V6 tune:
http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html

Take a look at the gains he got just from his tune:
http://www.alternativeauto.com/image...ng_v6_dyno.jpg

Especially look at the low end torque gains! LOL!

Now the other think you asked about is a CAI... Most all of them are
going to use a K&N type oiled filter... there are a couple of "dry"
filter kits out there but I really don't know much about them. I've
been doing the oiled filter for quite some time... key is not to over
oil them... But actually the stock air box is not that bad.... it
actually does quite well until about 4000 RPM..

The other mod I highly recommend is getting rid of the stock muffler!
It is horribly restrictive! You can pick up 10RWHP by puttting a good
after market muffler on! You can even put a GT take off on! (The
10RWHP was documented by Justin at VMP Tuning on his dyno... I am not
making the number up! LOL)

Good luck with you new Mustang, which ever way you decided to go! Keep
up posted! LOL!

Old August 21st 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Terry Brannigan wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 04:28:42 -0700, John S. wrote:
>

> > Yes, reprogramming/re-flashing/re-tuning a V6 autotmatic makes a HUGE
> > difference... It is truly a night and day difference! I mean you will
> > not believe you are driving the same car!!! The Torque Limiter really
> > kills the off the line preformance of the V6 automatic... It is the
> > best $400 you will ever spend on the car! LOL! And it is incredibly
> > simple to use! Just plug it in, follow the on screen instructions, hit
> > a button or two and your done! Need to take your car in for warranty
> > work? Simply use the "Return to Stock" option! It really is that easy!
> >
> > The tuner/programmer I recommend for automatics is the SCT X-Cal2.
> > There are a number of good shops out there selling X-Cal2 but for an
> > automatic I highly recommend Lidio at Alternative Auto. Here is his
> > write up on his V6 tune:
> > http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...tang_tune.html
> >
> > Take a look at the gains he got just from his tune:
> > http://www.alternativeauto.com/image...ng_v6_dyno.jpg

> I notice that with the XCal I believe you need to run at least 89 octane
> gas more than likely because they play with the timing curve and or knock
> sensor.
>
> Is this true for everyday driving as well, or just if you are
> really nailing the throttle?
>
> Do you know if they are bypassing the knock sensor with the program?
> I would guess if not, you could run 87 and if it pings the knock sensor
> would retard the timing?
>
> TIA

Ok... first a disclaimer.... I do not work or speak for any given shop.
I will simply tell you what I have learned from working with them...
What I am about to say I believe to be accurate but again, I am not an
official spokesman! LOL!

First item: Knock sensors. Most tuners will leave them on. I know
that Lidio definitely does! Acutally the Spanish Oak will try to ADD
timing if it feels the car is "under-sparked". Like I said though...
Lidio leaves the sensors enabled..

Second item: 87 vs 89 octane. I think Lidio might actually have an 87
octane tune. You might want to confirm... or ask for one.. but worst
case scenaro... you can adjust the timing in the tune right on the
X-Cal2! When you go to load the 89 octane tune you can simply pull
some timing... Very simple to do!

Old August 21st 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

Terry Brannigan wrote:

> Also the V6, at least from my 1 day driving trip, DOES have a throttle
> lag, bogdown, whatever you want to call it, from a dead start.
>
> If the Xcal gets rid of it, just that alone will make a BIG improvement in
> the overall drive-ablitly of the car.

That is EXACTLY what an X-Cal2 will do for you!!!