MFFY See, MFFY Do

Old August 17th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default MFFY See, MFFY Do

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> Never a cop or a red light camera around when you need one.

very very very very rarely. Then even rarer they do something about it.

Old August 17th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Brent P" > wrote
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>
>> Never a cop or a red light camera around when you need one.

> very very very very rarely. Then even rarer they do something about it.

That absence is a good thing. Think about it: we don't actually
NEED (or want FTM) many cops. If we did, we'd be a police
state (REALLY a police state, unlike our current situation, bad as
it may be.) The result is that we have to put up with the 2nd rarity.

FloydR

Old August 17th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Brent P" > wrote
>> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>>
>>> Never a cop or a red light camera around when you need one.

>> very very very very rarely. Then even rarer they do something about it.

> That absence is a good thing. Think about it: we don't actually
> NEED (or want FTM) many cops. If we did, we'd be a police
> state (REALLY a police state, unlike our current situation, bad as
> it may be.) The result is that we have to put up with the 2nd rarity.

Their absence where it is useful to a free society while their presence
is elsewhere doing things that are more in line with a police state is
dangerous to a free society.

Instead of patroling such that they would see dangerous things like what
scott mentioned, they are hiding in the bushes somewhere running radar
on an underposted road to bring in money for the state from safe
drivers. Instead of seeing things like truckers running red lights they
are out on the highway profiling people who might have drugs in their
car and making money for the state by siezing any cash, or whatever else
they can.

There are more than enough cops. I recently heard on a radio program,
but yet to verify that the number of cops per capita is at a high in the
USA, and I don't doubt it.

Old August 17th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:

>>> very very very very rarely. Then even rarer they do something about it.

>> That absence is a good thing. Think about it: we don't actually
>> NEED (or want FTM) many cops. If we did, we'd be a police
>> state (REALLY a police state, unlike our current situation, bad as
>> it may be.) The result is that we have to put up with the 2nd rarity.

> Their absence where it is useful to a free society while their presence
> is elsewhere doing things that are more in line with a police state is
> dangerous to a free society.
>
> Instead of patroling such that they would see dangerous things like what
> scott mentioned, they are hiding in the bushes somewhere running radar
> on an underposted road to bring in money for the state from safe
> drivers. Instead of seeing things like truckers running red lights they
> are out on the highway profiling people who might have drugs in their
> car and making money for the state by siezing any cash, or whatever else
> they can.
>
> There are more than enough cops. I recently heard on a radio program,
> but yet to verify that the number of cops per capita is at a high in the
> USA, and I don't doubt it.

Violent crime rates have also significantly dropped in the last 15 years.

brink

Old August 17th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"brink" > wrote in
:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:
>>> "Brent P" > wrote

>>> That absence is a good thing. Think about it: we don't actually
>>> NEED (or want FTM) many cops. If we did, we'd be a police
>>> state (REALLY a police state, unlike our current situation, bad as
>>> it may be.) The result is that we have to put up with the 2nd
>>> rarity.

>> Their absence where it is useful to a free society while their
>> presence is elsewhere doing things that are more in line with a
>> police state is dangerous to a free society.
>>
>> Instead of patroling such that they would see dangerous things like
>> what scott mentioned, they are hiding in the bushes somewhere running
>> radar on an underposted road to bring in money for the state from
>> safe drivers.

Yes,it would be a great step forward to revoke the police's radar and laser
guns.

>> Instead of seeing things like truckers running red
>> lights they are out on the highway profiling people who might have
>> drugs in their car and making money for the state by siezing any
>> cash, or whatever else they can.
>>
>> There are more than enough cops. I recently heard on a radio program,
>> but yet to verify that the number of cops per capita is at a high in
>> the USA, and I don't doubt it.

> Violent crime rates have also significantly dropped in the last 15
> years.
>
> brink

Attributable to longer prison terms,fewer criminals out on the streets.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 18th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
.. .
> "brink" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Their absence where it is useful to a free society while their
>>> presence is elsewhere doing things that are more in line with a
>>> police state is dangerous to a free society.
>>>
>>> Instead of patroling such that they would see dangerous things like
>>> what scott mentioned, they are hiding in the bushes somewhere running
>>> radar on an underposted road to bring in money for the state from
>>> safe drivers.

> Yes,it would be a great step forward to revoke the police's radar and
> laser
> guns.
>
>>> Instead of seeing things like truckers running red
>>> lights they are out on the highway profiling people who might have
>>> drugs in their car and making money for the state by siezing any
>>> cash, or whatever else they can.
>>>
>>> There are more than enough cops. I recently heard on a radio program,
>>> but yet to verify that the number of cops per capita is at a high in
>>> the USA, and I don't doubt it.

>> Violent crime rates have also significantly dropped in the last 15
>> years.
>>
>> brink
>>

> Attributable to longer prison terms,fewer criminals out on the streets.

It's "attributable" to dozens of factors, none of which is a slam dunk.
Everyone wants to take credit for it though... cops, politicians, lawyers,
schools, churches, pro-choice activists, democrats, republicans... well,
you get the idea... ;-)

I think the one certain thing is that it's not one single cause creating
this effect.

brink