16 Valve GTI

Old August 14th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Caddybuff

Default 16 Valve GTI

Where would be the best place to look for an early 90's/late 80's 16
valve GTI. My bro had one when I was real young and I loved that
thing. I'm willing to pay good money for a close to original in good
shape but have no clue where to start.

Old August 14th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Caddybuff" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Where would be the best place to look for an early 90's/late 80's 16 valve
> GTI. My bro had one when I was real young and I loved that thing. I'm
> willing to pay good money for a close to original in good shape but have
> no clue where to start.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=809

Good luck finding one in original/good shape. by now they are either old
and beat on or highly modified, often with engine transplants.

Might also find some on http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds...look in the
watercooled group there.

Old August 15th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
N8N

Matt B. wrote:
> "Caddybuff" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Where would be the best place to look for an early 90's/late 80's 16 valve
> > GTI. My bro had one when I was real young and I loved that thing. I'm
> > willing to pay good money for a close to original in good shape but have
> > no clue where to start.

> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=809
>
> Good luck finding one in original/good shape. by now they are either old
> and beat on or highly modified, often with engine transplants.
>
> Might also find some on http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds...look in the
> watercooled group there.

*sigh* a friend of mine just sold my old car ('88 GTI) for $500 in
Baltimore, it was 100% original except for the stereo and just needed
paint (not bad but chalky and impossible to "rub out"), a headliner,
and some TLC. I think the main issues with it were nonfunctional A/C
and a sloppy shifter. I would have bought it back but I need it like I
need a hole in my head. Had a *lot* of new parts on it when I sold it
to her 5 yrs. ago too.

Might also want to try the Vortex; I don't really follow it so I don't
know if it's been taken over by the "tuners" or not but it used to be a
good place to find stuff like that.

nate

Keep your receipts! Nino NoSpam Honda 13 July 13th 06 04:38 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 3 December 4th 05 05:29 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 2 April 22nd 05 05:32 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 3 February 18th 05 05:34 AM