Caddy,,, will not shut off...

Old July 31st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Caddy,,, will not shut off...

HI Guys
this is a good one for a Monday, I have worked for GM for almost 20
years, BUT moms (OF CHORSE) will not shut off, I replaced the Ign.
switch. it was burnt inside, it is adj. all works well. But I can walk
away from the car with the keys in my hands, and it is running?????????
If I jiggle the switch it will shut off, but this is moms car.....
thanks guys JImmy

Old July 31st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI Guys
> this is a good one for a Monday, I have worked for GM for almost 20
> years, BUT moms (OF CHORSE) will not shut off, I replaced the Ign.
> switch. it was burnt inside, it is adj. all works well. But I can walk
> away from the car with the keys in my hands, and it is running?????????
> If I jiggle the switch it will shut off, but this is moms car.....
> thanks guys JImmy

You may get more authoritative answers, but I would start looking for
an intermittent short circuit in the vicinity of the ignition switch.

A look through the wiring diagram should tell you if there is any other
failure
mode that might allow the engine to continue to run, even though you have
turned the (new) switch off.

Old July 31st 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI Guys
> this is a good one for a Monday, I have worked for GM for almost 20
> years, BUT moms (OF CHORSE) will not shut off, I replaced the Ign.
> switch. it was burnt inside, it is adj. all works well. But I can walk
> away from the car with the keys in my hands, and it is running?????????
> If I jiggle the switch it will shut off, but this is moms car.....
> thanks guys JImmy

...just a guess, but I can almost visualize a melted insulator allowing
an intermittent short between 2 wires in the cluster that attaches to the
switch prongs. HTH, s

94 Jetta Will not shut off simon VW water cooled 4 May 15th 06 11:47 AM
Dodge Neon PWM Engine comuter whines when engine is shut off TX_Biker_Pup Chrysler 2 May 14th 06 11:21 AM
bmw 90' 535i shut off guveneur BMW 2 April 17th 06 12:26 PM
Headlights won't shut off timbo3021 General 1 March 26th 06 02:51 PM
1996 Grand Voyager shut off @ stoplight, now runs really shaky-HELP! angel_27 Chrysler 3 June 30th 05 01:18 PM