1998 Saturn SC1

Old July 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
tonya

Default 1998 Saturn SC1

Hi wondering if anyone can help. My serpentine belt was squeeling and
now is so loose the car won't start. My battery and ABS lights came on
the day before. How do you change the belt tensioner? And where the
heck is it located.. I looked in the Haynes manual but it isn't very
clear. Thanks

Old July 6th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 5 Jul 2006 18:42:01 -0700, "tonya" > wrote:

>Hi wondering if anyone can help. My serpentine belt was squeeling and
>now is so loose the car won't start. My battery and ABS lights came on
>the day before. How do you change the belt tensioner? And where the
>heck is it located.. I looked in the Haynes manual but it isn't very
>clear. Thanks

Have you tried replacing the belt first incase the old one is
stretched out?
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old July 6th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Maybe the problem isnt the tensioner...
Is the belt really loose? It might be a siezed up alternator, power
steering pump, water pump or A/C compressor pulley.
But the tensioner pulley and tensioning device are not too hard to
find.
If you look closely, you might see that the belt goes AROUND those
items I just mentioned, but the belt kindof goes BEHIND the tensioneer.

To remove it you'll need a socket wrench (14mm, I think) with a very
long handle just to take all the tension off the belt.
Once the belt is loose, slip it off the alternator. Then without the
belt, you can check to see if all the pulleys are "rotate-able".
To get the tensioner assembly off, simply unbolt it. It's attached by
a short arm to the tensioner pulley.
I dont know which parts of the tensioner are replaceable. You may or
may not have to replace the whole thing.
-WaV

Old July 6th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

I've also been trying to diagnose a squeal on my 95 SW2. It only lasts
for a few secs. after first starting the car. I removed the idler and
tensioner pulleys yesterday and both bearings feel fine. I'm wondering
if the tensioner has lost some tension. This outfit has the whole
assembly for <$60 . . .
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,8920

Old July 6th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 6 Jul 2006 06:53:49 -0700, "Chuck" > wrote:

>I've also been trying to diagnose a squeal on my 95 SW2. It only lasts
>for a few secs. after first starting the car. I removed the idler and
>tensioner pulleys yesterday and both bearings feel fine. I'm wondering
>if the tensioner has lost some tension. This outfit has the whole
>assembly for <$60 . . .
>http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,8920

Belt is likely glazed and slipping a bit under friction heats it up
and it stops slipping. You might check altenator bearings but if they
are good, try replacing belt.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old July 6th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

SnoMan wrote:
> Belt is likely glazed and slipping a bit under friction heats it up
> and it stops slipping. You might check altenator bearings but if they
> are good, try replacing belt.
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

Thanks, but I tried replacing the belt - it didn't seem to help.
The alternator has been replaced recently and that also had no affect.
I might just wait and see if the noise becomes constant so I can home
in on it.

Old July 6th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 6 Jul 2006 08:35:14 -0700, "Chuck" > wrote:

>Thanks, but I tried replacing the belt - it didn't seem to help.
>The alternator has been replaced recently and that also had no affect.
>I might just wait and see if the noise becomes constant so I can home
>in on it

When you first start up, the altenator can create a lot of drag for a
few seconds when it first starts and can can a loose belt to slip.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old July 6th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Chuck[_1_]

SnoMan wrote:
> When you first start up, the altenator can create a lot of drag for a
> few seconds when it first starts and can can a loose belt to slip.
> -----------------

Hmmmm. I also think it happens more when the A/C is on.
Maybe it is a tensioner problem.

Old July 6th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On 6 Jul 2006 14:41:26 -0700, "Chuck" > wrote:

>Hmmmm. I also think it happens more when the A/C is on.
>Maybe it is a tensioner problem.

It is possible.
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old July 10th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
tonya

Just wanted to report...the car is running great....the tensioner was
shot...replaced it and the belt....problems solved including all the
dummy lights that had been going on and off for a year. That top bolt
was a pain in the