Valve cover gasket

Old May 7th 06, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Valve cover gasket

Have 1997 Saturn and just had the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals
replace. The gasket was aprox $200. Is this correct I'm from the days when a
valve cover gasket cost $7.00 Labor was only $45.00 but a $200+ gasket
sounds way out of line?

Old May 7th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sun, 7 May 2006 06:11:35 -0400, "Steve Murad" >
wrote:

>Have 1997 Saturn and just had the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals
>replace. The gasket was aprox $200. Is this correct I'm from the days when a
>valve cover gasket cost $7.00 Labor was only $45.00 but a $200+ gasket
>sounds way out of line?

Yeah, it does sound a bit rich. On my 1997 SL2, I replaced the valve
cover gasket myself for $34.38 for a Felpro gasket set and tube of
Permatex sealer at Advance Auto Parts. The kit includes the molded
gasket for the cover, gaskets around the spark plug holes, and
grommets for each bolt.

Maybe a Gen-U-Wine Saturn part costs more.

The labor seems low, based on my experience, but then I took
additional time to disassemble the vent boxes in the cover and clean
out accumulated crud. Personally, I hate to put the cover back on
dirty for no other reason than to make sure the sealing surfaces are
clean, but it's also an opportunity to clean up the insides of the
engine just a little bit. To just swap out the gasket and put the
cover back on, dirt and all, doesn't take long.

RK Henry
Old May 7th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Every dealership has thier cost of labour, what was this dealership's labour
cost per hour? That's usually the most expensive part.

marx404

Old May 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:46:19 GMT, RK Henry
> wrote:

>On Sun, 7 May 2006 06:11:35 -0400, "Steve Murad" >
>wrote:
>
>>Have 1997 Saturn and just had the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals
>>replace. The gasket was aprox $200. Is this correct I'm from the days when a
>>valve cover gasket cost $7.00 Labor was only $45.00 but a $200+ gasket
>>sounds way out of line?

>Yeah, it does sound a bit rich. On my 1997 SL2, I replaced the valve
>cover gasket myself for $34.38 for a Felpro gasket set and tube of
>Permatex sealer at Advance Auto Parts. The kit includes the molded
>gasket for the cover, gaskets around the spark plug holes, and
>grommets for each bolt.
>
>Maybe a Gen-U-Wine Saturn part costs more.
>
>The labor seems low, based on my experience, but then I took
>additional time to disassemble the vent boxes in the cover and clean
>out accumulated crud. Personally, I hate to put the cover back on
>dirty for no other reason than to make sure the sealing surfaces are
>clean, but it's also an opportunity to clean up the insides of the
>engine just a little bit. To just swap out the gasket and put the
>cover back on, dirt and all, doesn't take long.
>
>RK Henry

Yes, you are correct it's very high. I had my valve cover gasket
replaced for 200 bucks. Then the same NJ dealership, who during a
tune up took and kept/trashed my K&N reusable air filter, told me I
needed a cam cover gasket several months later. I asked, "huh? I
paid for a new valve cover gasked almost a year ago, it's bad again?"
The tech laughed, and said, how could you pay for a valve cover
gasket, when the car doesn't have a valve cover. It's a cam cover.

I now do most of the maintance myself now. Last "cam cover" gasket
cost me about 20-30 bucks at NAPA, and took me an hour. So I'm
guessing 200 bucks was rediculus, too.

good luck, wait till you get a break job and it's higher(about twice)
than venders who offer lifetime warranties on pads. ha ha ha, that
was a nice lession. Go Saturn!

tom
Old May 8th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sun, 07 May 2006 11:46:19 GMT, RK Henry
> wrote:

>On Sun, 7 May 2006 06:11:35 -0400, "Steve Murad" >
>wrote:
>
>>Have 1997 Saturn and just had the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals
>>replace. The gasket was aprox $200. Is this correct I'm from the days when a
>>valve cover gasket cost $7.00 Labor was only $45.00 but a $200+ gasket
>>sounds way out of line?

>Yeah, it does sound a bit rich. On my 1997 SL2, I replaced the valve
>cover gasket myself for $34.38 for a Felpro gasket set and tube of
>Permatex sealer at Advance Auto Parts. The kit includes the molded
>gasket for the cover, gaskets around the spark plug holes, and
>grommets for each bolt.
>
>Maybe a Gen-U-Wine Saturn part costs more.
>
>The labor seems low, based on my experience, but then I took
>additional time to disassemble the vent boxes in the cover and clean
>out accumulated crud. Personally, I hate to put the cover back on
>dirty for no other reason than to make sure the sealing surfaces are
>clean, but it's also an opportunity to clean up the insides of the
>engine just a little bit. To just swap out the gasket and put the
>cover back on, dirt and all, doesn't take long.
>
>RK Henry

I had a engine oil cooler line replace on my 2000K3500 (IT RUSTED
THROUGH!!!) as I could not get it out with my tools and they charged
me 135 bucks at a chevy dealer and they had to work on it for a few
hours too (I had the new line already) and that was a lot harder job
than a valve cover gasket.
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com