Do dealers mean it when they say "no haggle" policy?

Old May 2nd 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

Default Do dealers mean it when they say "no haggle" policy?

Am contemplating buying a car from Enterprise -- a used rental. the
website says 'no rental.' is Enterprise truly adamant if a buyer tries
to knock down the stated price?

Old May 2nd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 2 May 2006 00:09:38 -0700, wrote:
>
> >Am contemplating buying a car from Enterprise -- a used rental. the
> >website says 'no rental.'

> You phrased your question much better in your other post...
> --

And you phrased your answer better in this post rather than the
projected and/or assumptive drivel of your reply the

"If you're smart, you'll leave it. Rental cars are abused by many
renters. They may look OK cosmetically, but you can be virtually
guaranteed that they have been over-revved, brake-torqued,
neutral-dropped, and maybe even raced for a weekend or two."

That said, no car dealer is immune to a counter-offer. The "no haggle"
policy is intended to induce customers to purchase a vehicle as they
might groceries. I haggle the rental rate and only fail to secure a
discount when demand exceeds supply. Any smart business will settle
for less profit rather than no profit if those are the only choices.

Industry research long ago determined that people most dislike haggling
over price during the car buying experience. The standard tactic is to
switch the customer's focus from price to monthly payments because
that's what really matters to most customers. When they get back to
F&I to finalize the paperwork is when most learn the actual purchase
price.

I find it astounding that in 2006 most car buyers never check with
their bank on the value/s of the car in question nor have the car
inspected by a competent mechanic.

That said, major rental companies never keep their cars one year or 12K
miles and the majority of the manufacturer's warranty remains in force.

"And it's a
certainty that the first few renters, who drove the car during the
break-in period, did not observe the manufacturer's recommendations
for how the car should be driven during this critcal time."

And *you* "broke-in" your 'Vette?! Ha! How did you keep from being
run over?!

You MFFY'd and Slothed around LA at less than the 85th percentile to
protect your investment... inconveniencing literally thousands of other
drivers and reducing throughput on literally thousands of miles of
roadway?! All for you?!

The standards you place on other drivers aren't quite so comfortable
when you're held to them yourself, are they?
-----

- gpsman

Old May 2nd 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

Good point on the slothmaster.

As far as "no haggle" goes, they usually mean it. If you don't buy it,
someone else will - people get very excited and irrational at car
dealers (customers too . Maybe if it sits there 6 months they'll
drop it a couple dimes.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

JohnH wrote:
> Good point on the slothmaster.

Danka.

> As far as "no haggle" goes, they usually mean it. If you don't buy it,
> someone else will - people get very excited and irrational at car
> dealers (customers too . Maybe if it sits there 6 months they'll
> drop it a couple dimes.

Well, of course I'm an "expert" on this subject too. :0>

Almost every vehicle purchase is based mostly, often soley on emotion.
The more emotion you can stir in a buyer the further they remain from
logic. A skilled salesperson can use a client's negative emotion to
their own advantage and will resort to ****ing them off if flattery
fails: "You look great in that car" / "What will the neighbors think
when you pull up in that"? / Well sir, if this is more car than you can
afford maybe you ought to consider something more modest". Watching a
good salesperson yank chains is more entertaining than any TV show I'm
familiar with.

We used to have competitions to see who could control their customer
the best. A favorite was to see how long you could get an "up" to
stand in one spot without moving. A forceful "Wait right here" while
pointing to a spot on the ground and turning and walking to the
showroom without looking back is a pretty good indicator of your
control over a customer based on how long they do it. You *never* come
back until they're moved, you might spoil your time.

There are only 3 reasons a car doesn't sell; it's not the right car,
it's not the right price or it's not the right salesperson.

Salespeople will "do a turn", turning over the customer to another
salesperson if things aren't going quite right and they'll split the
commission. Sometimes a more experienced salesperson will "force" a
"turn" on a Greenpea by walking up and telling him the manager needs
him right now and he'll take the customer for him.

Practically no dealer will let a vehicle sit for more than 90 days,
it's a waste of capital and off to the auction or another dealer it
will go. Vehicles over 30, 60 and 90 days old on the lot are referred
to as "so many day units" and often pay the salesperson a bonus or
"spiff" to increase the motivation to get it off the lot.

Go to a dealer and ask if they have any 90 day units. If so, they will
be happy to get out little more than what they have in it [and I've
seen many cars go for a loss]. If not, they'll show you anything and
tell you it's a 90 day unit, whatever it takes to get you to buy a car.
Using dealer lingo can backfire though, you'll be expected to be
quickly decisive and, of course, know all the lingo.
-----

- gpsman

Old May 2nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

>Go to a dealer and ask if they have any 90 day units.

In the rare instances I buy a car, I wait for a good deal from a
private owner, and use cash. Fortunately the wife nor I care about the
latest greatest car - it's just transportation. Since there are plenty
of adults with the attention span of a 4 year old attracted to the
newest shiny object, there are often great deals to be had.

Dealers are only good for warranty work, special order items and
suckers.

Old May 3rd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.marketplace

correction of post, i meant NO HAGGLE.

wrote:
> Am contemplating buying a car from Enterprise -- a used rental. the
> website says 'no HAGGLE.' is Enterprise truly adamant if a buyer tries
> to knock down the stated price?

Is it truely no haggle policy ? Henry Lee Saturn 5 August 22nd 05 09:05 PM
Undercoat: Dealers still do this??? [email protected] Honda 1 March 3rd 05 07:23 AM
Sales policy marx404 Saturn 4 August 21st 04 12:58 PM
Are japs controlling the Blue Ribbon Coalition? Sportsmen Against Bush 4x4 6 December 20th 03 04:58 AM