hard to get in first gear and whole motor shakes!

Old March 25th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default hard to get in first gear and whole motor shakes!

My daughter has a 2002 Saturn SC1 three door with approx 33,000 miles
on the car. Intermittently when at an idle if you go to put it in
first gear the motor will shake and it will be extremely difficult to
put into first. Doesn't matter whether the car is cold or warmed up
and doesn't happen all the time. Took the car to the Saturn
dealership and they ran their tests on the car and said that it checked
out fine.

Any thoughts as to what may be going on? Thanks for your reply in
advance.

Mike

Old March 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I was waiting to see if someone else answered this before I took a stab at
it....However, let me guess - The engine shakes when you do manage to get it
in first, while sitting at a light for example, with your foot on the
clutch? If I'm correct, then when you take it out of 1st, and have it in
neutral, the engine stops shaking. Then, you have a hard time getting it
back in to first, unless the car is slightly rolling in which it'll slip
right in?

Let me know if I'm close!

Scott

oups.com...

Old March 28th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Is that a cable or hydraulic clutch release? Sounds like the clutch is not
disengaging completely. If that's the case, it should try to creep with the
clutch in on level ground.

Old March 29th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I'll guess and say the hydraulic clutch master or slave is shot. I had one
where the air would creep into the system and acted much as yours did.
Never did see a leak, but it may have leaked within a rubber boot. Luckily,
it was still under warranty and they changed out the whole unit and bled the
system. No problems after that (for another 130,000 miles until sold).

B~

Old March 30th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Scott that is exactly what is going on. What do you thinks up?

Old March 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks for all the replys.This car to also under warrenty and extended
warrenty and when taken in to have it looked at the problem was such a
Mystery????

Old March 30th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Had the EXACT thing happening on my '94 SL2...And it initially was sporadic,
annoyingly happening once in a while, then eventually did the reverse,
becoming common with only sporadically working right. I can't promise you
the exact solution as I just dealt with it for 75K miles until I traded it
in for a new Vue, BUT I can tell you that I had a 190K on the car with the
original clutch, so I originally had attributed it to a very worn clutch.
However, with only 30K on yours, unless your daughter is riding the clutch,
it's a little unusual to wear so quick.

That said, I know that it's limited only to the 5-speed tranny and that it's
not engine related. It should be more of what the other two posters
mentioned. It's definitely an adjustment in the tranny or clutch related.
I would take it to a tranny shop to have it checked out first, as if it is
the clutch, I'm not sure it would be covered under warranty. But if the
tranny shop tells you what it is, (if something in the tranny) check back
with the dealer to see if it's covered.

Sorry I couldn't tell you point blank what it is, only what it isn't....That
and a general location to start with. Might be as simple as low fluid
level....

Hope this helps a little....

Scott

ups.com...

Old April 15th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Sounds like a motor mount to me.....Mark