throw out bearing replacement - 96 GT

Old February 28th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default throw out bearing replacement - 96 GT

Thinking I could drop the shaft at the rear, remove four bolts holding
the gearbox to the bell housing, shifter, cross-member.... slide the
gearbox back. should be able to replace the bearing through the bell
housing hole? Anyone tried it?

Making a whining noise only when the clutch is depressed... assuming
that's the throw out bearing.

Old February 28th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You might be able to worm it in there, but your going to be sorry when you
have to take everything else apart to replace your clutch too.

My vote is to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing
with a new matched set, and have the flywheel surfaced at the same time.

You won't regret doing it right the first time.

Carl

ups.com...

Old February 28th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

What Carl said.... now is the time to address future concerns, as well... If
it were my car, it would get both release and pilot bearings..... it would
probably get at least a new disc..... it would most likely get "the full
meal deal". I have little patience for working on my daily driver.... even
my scooter is almost permanently dirty ( I bought it to ride - not polish) -
if I throw away a clutch that is still serviceable but not for long, I'm not
throwing away the price of a new clutch.... I'm throwing away the
commensurate value based on percent of wear....

If, however, your idea of "fun" is crawling around under your car on your
back.... please disregard this advice....

ups.com...

Old February 28th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I forgot to mention the pilot bearing as well, good catch, Jim.

Carl

Old March 1st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Is it in the crank or in the flywheel?

Carl

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The pilot bearing? If so, it's in the crank.

Old March 2nd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

oh, ok. On my 89 Jeep, it was pressed into the flywheel.

Carl

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> The pilot bearing? If so, it's in the crank.

97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone? Tqm Jeep 20 January 19th 06 03:04 AM
throw out bearing mcola Mazda 5 December 2nd 05 11:15 PM
Successful U-joint replacement on a 528e! Steve Richfie1d BMW 8 November 29th 05 05:58 AM
Knocking sound with clutch in - replaced throw out bearing and still there BeamGuy Honda 1 November 23rd 05 06:25 PM
63 roadster-rear spindle bearing replacement? lib Corvette 1 October 17th 05 06:14 PM