Michelin Tires

Old February 28th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Michelin Tires

The time has come to replace the tires on my 03 Eddie Bauer.

I was looking at Michelin tires and saw the LTX which everyone always has
nice things to say about and the Cross Terrain as well. The Cross Terrain
were about $20 a tire more and the attendant said they have a smoother ride.

What is the opinion here on these tires?

For background, I live in Southern CA. Drive streets and freeways. No
off-road, no snow, etc. So what I really want is a smooth ride.

Feedback welcome!

Old February 28th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

You might also take a look at Goodyear Fortera Silent Armour

http://www.goodyearfortera.com/goody...html/index.jsp

Had a set of the Michelin LTX/M&S, but when they finally wore out
decided to give the Fortera a try.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:22:24 -0800, "Gummy Mummy"

Old February 28th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have the Cross Terrains on my 99 XLT. They are very smooth riding
tires. I think the general concensus of previous discussions is that
the LTX's are slightly more aggressive the Cross Terrains, although I
do not think you will go wrong with either tire.

Old February 28th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they are both great tires. I should
probably go with the LTX since I am something of an aggressive driver.

I was at Costco and they were out of both yesterday. I guess I can call
around and try to negotiate with someone else.
The LTX was $155 and the Cross Terrain was $175. Plus at Costco, all the
mounting, balancing, and stems are free.

Wish me luck!

oups.com...

Old February 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

What's the price like.

news

Old March 1st 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

$150.00 for 235/75R15. However, as I recall the EB uses a larger tire
and rim...so...

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:19:08 -0800, "Gummy Mummy"

Old March 1st 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Gummy Mummy wrote:
> I was at Costco and they were out of both yesterday. I guess I can call
> around and try to negotiate with someone else.
> The LTX was $155 and the Cross Terrain was $175. Plus at Costco, all the
> mounting, balancing, and stems are free.

Be aware that the tires sold at Costco are not the same as tires sold
elsewhere (at least that was true for the Michelin X-One/X-Radials I was
looking into a couple of years ago). Go the the Michelin web page and
look up the tire specs. They are incredibly boring-looking tables, but
they will likely tell you that the tires you'll get at Costco have 2/16"
less tread than the tires you'll get somewhere else.
Old March 3rd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I had the LTX/MS on my '99 and have the Cross Terrains on my '03. The Cross
Terrains are quieter and have better traction in both rain and snow
conditions IMO. My 03 has 30K miles and the Cross Terrains have lots of
miles left. They wear evenly with no alignment or balancing - I only rotate
them every 10K or so.

Dick O'Keefe

Old March 5th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I bought a set of the Forteras's in July 2005 for my wife's '98 XLT and I
think they're great. Much smoother than the UNI Laredo's they replaced.
Those Laredos were the Firestone replacements. They weren't smooth tires but
I got 80 grand out of them before the tread wore down.

I found an Internet price at Tire Kingdom for $120 for the Forteras and took
it to the local Goodyear shop here in South Carolina because I needed a few
other maintenance items done. They matched the price and I got them for $120
each installed with lifetime balance and rotation.

Damn fine tire so far with about 8K on them.

news

Old March 6th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have had LTX M/S tires on my '95 explorer since '97, live in So. Cal. and
recommend them highly.
They wear like iron and have a comfortable ride. I'm on my second set!
If you desire a smooth ride, replace shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trak or Monroe
Reflex to complement your tires....it makes a huge difference.

Michelin Tires Sean D Honda 3 October 11th 05 11:22 PM
Michelin tires and their problems RQ Chrysler 21 June 20th 05 02:14 PM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 Driving 16 April 29th 05 12:26 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 General 15 April 28th 05 01:25 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM