I need some help with my RUSTY Saturn

Old March 5th 05, 07:32 PM
James1549

Default I need some help with my RUSTY Saturn

My '92 SL2 has really been a good car for the last 12 years. Minimal
repairs and it still looks nearly new with 101k on the odo.

Recently I noticed some rust appearing in the rear door sills. I know
this is normal for this model and year. But I would like to hear if
anyone has repaired this problem and how. Please see pics.

http://members.aol.com/james1549/saturn/rust01.jpg

http://members.aol.com/james1549/saturn/rust02.jpg

Old March 6th 05, 02:50 AM
marx404

On my 94 SL2, I used a rust converter liquid called Good Stuff. It is a
harsh chemical that will safely kill active rust and convert it to black
primer. You can find it many auto parts places. Great for killing and
preparing basic surface rust for repainting.

If you are referring to the bottom of the rear dooor, inside the door wheere
the step plate is, I had the same thing. Bad bad Saturn for never correcting
this on S-series models. Keep on top of it with Good stuff and touch-up
paint. Make sure to allow each application of Good stuff to dry a few hrs.

marx404

Old March 6th 05, 02:53 AM
marx404

oh, I forgot, also best to prep surfaces w/ a soft wire brush and (if
needed) fine sandpaper when prepping to kill rust, gives a smoother result.

marx404

Old March 6th 05, 10:53 PM
just another

In article . com>,
"James1549" > wrote:

> My '92 SL2 has really been a good car for the last 12 years. Minimal
> repairs and it still looks nearly new with 101k on the odo.
>
> Recently I noticed some rust appearing in the rear door sills. I know
> this is normal for this model and year. But I would like to hear if
> anyone has repaired this problem and how. Please see pics.
>

> http://members.aol.com/james1549/saturn/rust01.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/james1549/saturn/rust02.jpg

Mind if I piggyback your thread? I've got a '97 SW2, nice car, but the leading edge of the hood
is rusting. For a home repair, will that "Good Stuff" work when the rust is already bubbling up
& starting to flake off?

& can I expect to find a dark green primer? ;-)

I live in Hawaii and can't avoid the salt air; what else on this car is prone to serious
corrosion? (Most cars ten years or older out here are rolling rustbuckets.)
Old March 7th 05, 02:11 AM
marx404

POR 15 is excellent stuff and so is Good Stuff, but if you are experiencing
bubbled up rust then it is already too late. as the metal has already been
eaten through. At that point, best to sand down the affected area , removing
all rust then use POR 15 or naval jelly to kill any remaining surface rust.
As there are bubbles, this most likely means that there will be holes left
where you sanded down the bubbled up rust. If there are holes, you will need
to bondo them in and sand the surface smooth again before priming and
painting the surface to match.

There are lots of good how-tos and tips for how to repair rusted thru panels
if you search Google.

marx404

Old March 7th 05, 12:36 PM
marx404

yep, it was J. A. who has the 97 SW2, which has now become a hot commodity
now that Saturn has stopped making them.

marx404