It's alive! ....it's just not moving: Clutch problems....

Old January 28th 05, 04:17 AM
FrinkLemur

Default It's alive! ....it's just not moving: Clutch problems....

I'm a bad Miata owner.

Froschen, the Wonder Miata (1992 black on tan, 248k+ miles) has been
gathering dust in a shed. It's covered, and I've been good about going out
and firing it up every few weeks ... though the battery is completely flat
now, so I probably need to replace it.

Last night, I got nostalgic and thought I'd take it out for a spin. I hooked
up the cables to my new car, cranked it... and it fired up on the first try.
A little smoke, but no coughing, no hesitation. Hell, it started more easily
than my new car! (don't be too surprised, my new car is a diesel, and
doesn't like cold mornings) I put the clutch in, put it in reverse, let the
clutch out....and....

nothing.

The clutch felt a bit light... so I pumped it a few times. Still nothing.

It was dark in the garage, but there was enough light for me to see that
there was fluid in the clutch reservoir. Any ideas on where to even start
looking? In the coming months, I'm going to work on giving this car the
thorough going-over it's needed for some time. But it'll be a whole lot
easier if I can move it under its own steam. It would be really depressing
to have to get it towed to a shop from my house.....

James

Oh, and in case you're wondering - the replacement was an '01 VW Golf TDI. I
commute about 100 miles a day, and filling up the Miata every 2 days was
eating me alive.

Old January 28th 05, 04:39 AM
Natman

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:17:17 -0500, "FrinkLemur"
> wrote:

>I'm a bad Miata owner.
>
>Froschen, the Wonder Miata (1992 black on tan, 248k+ miles) has been
>gathering dust in a shed. It's covered, and I've been good about going out
>and firing it up every few weeks ... though the battery is completely flat
>now, so I probably need to replace it.
>
>Last night, I got nostalgic and thought I'd take it out for a spin. I hooked
>up the cables to my new car, cranked it... and it fired up on the first try.
>A little smoke, but no coughing, no hesitation. Hell, it started more easily
>than my new car! (don't be too surprised, my new car is a diesel, and
>doesn't like cold mornings) I put the clutch in, put it in reverse, let the
>clutch out....and....
>
>nothing.
>
>The clutch felt a bit light... so I pumped it a few times. Still nothing.
>
>It was dark in the garage, but there was enough light for me to see that
>there was fluid in the clutch reservoir. Any ideas on where to even start
>looking? In the coming months, I'm going to work on giving this car the
>thorough going-over it's needed for some time. But it'll be a whole lot
>easier if I can move it under its own steam. It would be really depressing
>to have to get it towed to a shop from my house.....
>

>James
>

>Oh, and in case you're wondering - the replacement was an '01 VW Golf TDI. I
>commute about 100 miles a day, and filling up the Miata every 2 days was
>eating me alive.

Are you SURE it really was in reverse? How about 1st?

If the clutch wasn't releasing you couldn't get it in gear with the
motor running.
Old January 28th 05, 04:58 AM
FrinkLemur

"Natman" > wrote in message
> Are you SURE it really was in reverse? How about 1st?
>
> If the clutch wasn't releasing you couldn't get it in gear with the
> motor running.

I'm sure.

The problem is the clutch *engaging*, not releasing. With the engine running
and my foot off the clutch, I can go into any gear and the car doesn't even
twitch.

Old January 28th 05, 05:27 AM
Chas Hurst

The throw out bearing is siezed on it's bore. It has moved forward to
disengage the clutch but won't move back to allow the clutch to engage.

. ..

Old January 28th 05, 06:00 AM
Natman

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:58:35 -0500, "FrinkLemur"
> wrote:

>"Natman" > wrote in message
>> Are you SURE it really was in reverse? How about 1st?
>>
>> If the clutch wasn't releasing you couldn't get it in gear with the
>> motor running.

>I'm sure.
>
>The problem is the clutch *engaging*, not releasing. With the engine running
>and my foot off the clutch, I can go into any gear and the car doesn't even
>twitch.

Ah, much clearer description. Something in the clutch arm or throwout
bearing has frozen in the released position. Jack up the front of the
car and remove the right front wheel and you will be able to see the
arm (not) moving as a helper pushes in the clutch.

A little discreet lubrication might work wonders. Be careful not to
lubricate the clutch itself.

Best of luck.
Old January 29th 05, 03:23 PM
chuckk

The throwout bearing must have moved when you pressed down on the clutch
pedal and stuck in the release position. This likely happened the first time
you pushed down on the clutch. You may be able to apply light shock pressure
(hammer) to the throwout release arm and get the throwout bearing to move
(pop back to the engage position. Alternate this with clutch pedal operation
until the throwout bearing seems to be moving back and forth without
sticking. Next suggestion (if that didn't work) is to remove the
rectangular rubber bushing? that is between the throwout bearing lever(fork,
yoke) sticking out the side of the bell housing. This will allow enough
room to see the throwout bearing and with a plastic tube extender, spray
penetrating lubricant on the bearing and shaft. Stay away from the clutch
plate and clutch assembly to the front of the throwout bearing.

Clutch Problems lovs2fly Ford Explorer 1 December 21st 04 06:14 PM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
clutch problems w/ '99 dodge stratus strandedinnh Dodge 0 October 5th 04 05:30 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM