Legailty Of Traffic Light Cameras

Old November 27th 04, 07:39 PM
Biz

Easy fix, quit trying to run the lights....

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>
> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.
>
> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
> incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order

for

Old November 28th 04, 12:32 AM
Bill Leary

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>
> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.

See
http://www.northglenn.org/modules.ph...&page_ id=259

Third Q&A item down is:
Is red light photo enforcement constitutional?
Yes. Section 42-4-110.5 of the Colorado Revised Statutes specifically
authorizes municipalities to use automated vehicle identification systems

> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine.

Yes, but there's a "condition" which follows.

> Also, will you incur points against your license in addition to the fine?'

No.

> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order for
> them to do this legally?

No.

> Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
> tkts left and right. :-(

The site noted above is for a specific city (Northglenn) but makes extensive
mention of Colorado laws. You'll have to see if the systems you're running
afoul of are in compliance with the laws noted on the site. If they are, then
it would appear you're not. Anyhow, happy reading. It's fairly clearly worded.

- Bill

Old November 28th 04, 12:32 AM
Bill Leary

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>
> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.

See
http://www.northglenn.org/modules.ph...&page_ id=259

Third Q&A item down is:
Is red light photo enforcement constitutional?
Yes. Section 42-4-110.5 of the Colorado Revised Statutes specifically
authorizes municipalities to use automated vehicle identification systems

> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine.

Yes, but there's a "condition" which follows.

> Also, will you incur points against your license in addition to the fine?'

No.

> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order for
> them to do this legally?

No.

Old November 28th 04, 03:22 PM
TURBOROCCO

Ok.

I've calmed down since yesterday morning. Maybe I should explain the
situation a little better.

I was going home from a ****ty night of work and wanted a quick bagel from
the bagel shop. The first light I stopped at didn't change for about 8
minutes (Seriously) and it peeved me even more! So, as I was coming up on
the bagel shop the light was changing and I pretty much ran it
intentionally. This was at 6a.m Saturday morning in the freezing cold. I
know it doesn't make it that much more excusable but it was much safer than
some of you are making it out to be. It's a lesson learned and slowly this
big brother system is making me a safer driver. I'm just hoping I don't get
any points deducted on this one.

Good day.

Old November 28th 04, 03:22 PM
TURBOROCCO

Old November 28th 04, 04:36 PM
Rob Guenther

Camera style systems (at least the ones i've read about) can't give you
points because they don't show who is driving the car... So pretty sure it
won't affect your insurance - I think they are like really highly priced
parking tickets - a ticket none the less, but not one that affects your
record.

Old November 28th 04, 04:36 PM
Rob Guenther

Old November 28th 04, 09:15 PM

It might be a pain to document but could you go back to the same light
with a video camera running to document the light that refuses to
change? Were you waiting inside the car or outside for the cold to
bother you? Or do you have a diesel like me that takes 20 minutes to
warm up? Hey you should be happy there is a bagel shop around. I don't
see one unless I drive an hour.

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote:

>Ok.
>
>I've calmed down since yesterday morning. Maybe I should explain the
>situation a little better.
>
>I was going home from a ****ty night of work and wanted a quick bagel from
>the bagel shop. The first light I stopped at didn't change for about 8
>minutes (Seriously) and it peeved me even more! So, as I was coming up on
>the bagel shop the light was changing and I pretty much ran it
>intentionally. This was at 6a.m Saturday morning in the freezing cold. I
>know it doesn't make it that much more excusable but it was much safer than
>some of you are making it out to be. It's a lesson learned and slowly this
>big brother system is making me a safer driver. I'm just hoping I don't get
>any points deducted on this one.
>
>Good day.
>>"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
>> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>>
>> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.
>>
>> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
>> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
>> incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
>> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
>> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order
>> for them to do this legally?
>>
>> Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
>> tkts left and right. :-(

Jim B.
Old November 28th 04, 09:15 PM

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote:

>Ok.
>
>I've calmed down since yesterday morning. Maybe I should explain the
>situation a little better.
>
>I was going home from a ****ty night of work and wanted a quick bagel from
>the bagel shop. The first light I stopped at didn't change for about 8
>minutes (Seriously) and it peeved me even more! So, as I was coming up on
>the bagel shop the light was changing and I pretty much ran it
>intentionally. This was at 6a.m Saturday morning in the freezing cold. I
>know it doesn't make it that much more excusable but it was much safer than
>some of you are making it out to be. It's a lesson learned and slowly this
>big brother system is making me a safer driver. I'm just hoping I don't get
>any points deducted on this one.
>
>Good day.
>>"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
>> Regarding: Colorado Law in particular.
>>
>> Hi, I was wondering how legal traffic light cameras are.
>>
>> My main question is if they flash you running a red light can they legally
>> send you a ticket in the mail requiring you to pay a fine. Also, will you
>> incur points against your license in addition to the fine?
>> Furthermore, if this system is in use does their have to be some type of
>> Visual Indication to show the motorist that they are being used in order
>> for them to do this legally?
>>
>> Thank you for any information. Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
>> tkts left and right. :-(

Jim B.
Old November 28th 04, 10:43 PM
Bill Leary

This...

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote:
>I was going home from a ****ty night of work and wanted a quick bagel from
>the bagel shop. The first light I stopped at didn't change for about 8
>minutes (Seriously) and it peeved me even more! So, as I was coming up on
>the bagel shop the light was changing and I pretty much ran it
>intentionally.

Sounds like a "one shot."

But this...

"TURBOROCCO" > wrote in message
>Your Concerned Dub motorist who is getting
>tkts left and right. :-(

Sounds like an ongoing driving policy.

Or were you still cranked when you wrote the message and the "gettng tkts left
and right" was a gross exaggeration?

As you pointed out yourself, running the second light wasn't really excusable,
but as a "one shot," following the broken first light, it was at least
emotionally understandable. I expect we've all experienced something similar a
time or two.

- Bill