What Is Term For Metallic Particles In Paint?

Old July 16th 05, 01:21 AM
Dick

Default What Is Term For Metallic Particles In Paint?

We had some body work done on our 2003 Accord, and they did a poor job
of matching the colors between the hood and fenders. When I pointed
it out to the estimator, he said they must have used (too much or too
little) of the metallic particles. Causes the paint to reflect light
differently, and gives the effect of two, different colors. He had a
term for it. Duffing or something strange like that. Anyone know
what it was?

Dick
Old July 16th 05, 02:18 AM
TeGGeR®

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in :

> We had some body work done on our 2003 Accord, and they did a poor job
> of matching the colors between the hood and fenders. When I pointed
> it out to the estimator, he said they must have used (too much or too
> little) of the metallic particles. Causes the paint to reflect light
> differently, and gives the effect of two, different colors. He had a
> term for it. Duffing or something strange like that. Anyone know
> what it was?

AFAIK, they're just called "aluminum flake", or "mica".

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 16th 05, 02:21 AM
Dick

On 16 Jul 2005 01:18:17 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in :
>
>> We had some body work done on our 2003 Accord, and they did a poor job
>> of matching the colors between the hood and fenders. When I pointed
>> it out to the estimator, he said they must have used (too much or too
>> little) of the metallic particles. Causes the paint to reflect light
>> differently, and gives the effect of two, different colors. He had a
>> term for it. Duffing or something strange like that. Anyone know
>> what it was?
>>

>AFAIK, they're just called "aluminum flake", or "mica".

How about "Leafing?" I found that term on the Internet.

Dick
Old July 16th 05, 03:44 AM
TeGGeR®

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in
:

> On 16 Jul 2005 01:18:17 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>
>>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in
m:

>>> We had some body work done on our 2003 Accord, and they did a poor
>>> job of matching the colors between the hood and fenders. When I
>>> pointed it out to the estimator, he said they must have used (too
>>> much or too little) of the metallic particles. Causes the paint to
>>> reflect light differently, and gives the effect of two, different
>>> colors. He had a term for it. Duffing or something strange like
>>> that. Anyone know what it was?
>>>

>>AFAIK, they're just called "aluminum flake", or "mica".

> How about "Leafing?" I found that term on the Internet.

Um, no.

Old July 16th 05, 01:19 PM
Frank Boettcher

Well, actually yes. I ran into that term when trying to come up with
a special "platinum" edition of a product my company made. This was
powder not liquiid coating and if it contained "leafing" aluminum it
absolutely has to be clear coated after the initial coat is on. We
found that out the hard way. Normal automotive metallic coatings are
not of the "leafing" type and can be enhanced by clear coat but it is
not an absolute necessity.

Frank

:

:

Old July 16th 05, 01:48 PM
TeGGeR®

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> On 16 Jul 2005 02:44:43 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>
>>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in
m:

>>> How about "Leafing?" I found that term on the Internet.
>>>

>>Um, no.
>>

> Well, actually yes.

<snip>

> Normal automotive metallic coatings are
> not of the "leafing" type

You just told me "yes", but then right after that you say "no".

Which is it?

Old July 16th 05, 02:37 PM
motsco_ _

Dick wrote:
> We had some body work done on our 2003 Accord, and they did a poor job
> of matching the colors between the hood and fenders. When I pointed
> it out to the estimator, he said they must have used (too much or too
> little) of the metallic particles. Causes the paint to reflect light
> differently, and gives the effect of two, different colors. He had a
> term for it. Duffing or something strange like that. Anyone know
> what it was?
>
> Dick

------------------------------

On DODGE products I've driven, the metalic particles in the paint were
called:

:-) _R _U _S _T :-)

Have a good weekend. 'Curly'

Old July 17th 05, 06:09 PM
Frank Boettcher

:

:

>You just told me "yes", but then right after that you say "no".
>
>Which is it?

Yes, the term "leafing" related to metallic coatings exists. I'm only
experienced with it in powder coatings and don't know if it is also in
liquid coatings. But I do know that if it is used without clear coat
it will not work. While it looks fine when initially applied, the
aluminum comes to the surface and can be rubbed off giving an
inconsistent look. When immediatley clearcoated, it is absolutley
beautiful and durable. The original poster asked about the term. I
was offering clarification.

No, I've never seen it in automotive (after market) coatings, but,
while I've painted several cars (most recently a '90 Accord with a
Dupont metallic), I've not looked extensively to know that it is not
offered.

No intention to offend,

Frank
Old July 17th 05, 06:40 PM
Dick

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:09:45 -0500, Frank Boettcher
> wrote:

>Yes, the term "leafing" related to metallic coatings exists. I'm only
>experienced with it in powder coatings and don't know if it is also in
>liquid coatings. But I do know that if it is used without clear coat
>it will not work. While it looks fine when initially applied, the
>aluminum comes to the surface and can be rubbed off giving an
>inconsistent look. When immediatley clearcoated, it is absolutley
>beautiful and durable. The original poster asked about the term. I
>was offering clarification.
>
>No, I've never seen it in automotive (after market) coatings, but,
>while I've painted several cars (most recently a '90 Accord with a
>Dupont metallic), I've not looked extensively to know that it is not
>offered.
>
>No intention to offend,
>
>Frank

I am the OP. When I take the car in tomorrow, I will ask about the
term he used and report it back to this thread.

I can't believe what they charge for the paint for Honda's. We had
only the hood and front bumper cover painted and the paint material
alone was $400. Would hate to think of what it would cost to paint a
house with that paint! :-)

Dick
Old July 17th 05, 07:03 PM
Dick

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:09:45 -0500, Frank Boettcher
> wrote:

>Yes, the term "leafing" related to metallic coatings exists. I'm only
>experienced with it in powder coatings and don't know if it is also in
>liquid coatings. But I do know that if it is used without clear coat
>it will not work. While it looks fine when initially applied, the
>aluminum comes to the surface and can be rubbed off giving an
>inconsistent look. When immediatley clearcoated, it is absolutley
>beautiful and durable. The original poster asked about the term. I
>was offering clarification.
>
>No, I've never seen it in automotive (after market) coatings, but,
>while I've painted several cars (most recently a '90 Accord with a
>Dupont metallic), I've not looked extensively to know that it is not
>offered.
>
>No intention to offend,
>
>Frank

Now that I have looked through several sites on auto painting I'm
pretty sure the term he used was FLOP, which is the change you see
when viewing from different angles. He said that had to be changed
when they repaint it.

Dick