A/C Leak

Old June 25th 05, 02:44 AM
Gary

Default A/C Leak

My '91 Miata A/C seems to have a leak because I get less than a month when I
have it fully charged. However, it does work effectively for that month.

Is there some common area that is the cause of the leak? Tube? Connector?
???

Also, is it worth fixing the compressor if that happens to be bad, or just
get a rebuilt or new one?

Old June 25th 05, 05:49 PM
XS11E

"Gary" > wrote in:

> My '91 Miata A/C seems to have a leak because I get less than a month
> when I have it fully charged. However, it does work effectively for that
> month.

Bad leak! You need to get it fixed. Who's recharging it? AFAIK it's
illegal to put refrigerant into a system known to be leaking, or it sure
was when I last had a shop!

> Is there some common area that is the cause of the leak? Tube?
> Connector? ???

Anywhere. Compressor front seal, any of the connectors, pinhole in the
condenser or evaporator, etc. etc. etc.

> Also, is it worth fixing the compressor if that happens to be bad, or
> just get a rebuilt or new one?

That depends on what's wrong. I had a front seal leak on the compressor of
my Jeep years back and found a rebuilt compressor was cheaper than buying the
seal replacement tool kit from Snap On! If you find a shop that already has
the seal replacement tools it's not expensive to do the job but VERY few
shops will have the tools to do the work. Also, a new or rebuilt compressor
will carry some kind of a warranty.

BTW, if you must replace the compressor, convert to R134a if it's not
already, the refrigerant is much more available and much cheaper. You'll
need to drain all the oil from the new compressor and replace it with R134a
type oil, you'll need to replace the receiver/drier (or accumulator, which
ever your system uses) and then evacuate the system and recharge with R134a.

NOTE, you'll need to replace the receiver/drier, evacuate and recharge
whether you convert refrigerant or not so the only extra step is dumping the
oil from the new compressor and filling it with the proper stuff.

Old June 26th 05, 03:15 AM
Mal Osborne

Yor local aircon guys should have a neat little "sniffer" thing, a probe
that can detect tiny quantities of leaking refrigerant and locate the leak.
Without one of these it may be very difficult to locate a tiny leak like you
have.

Old June 28th 05, 01:23 AM
Gary

I don't normally go to Sears for repairs of any kind, however, I wouldn't
hesitate if they did A/C repairs because I trust them to not lie about the
facts. Does Sears do A/C? If not, is there a chain that is reputable?

Old June 28th 05, 04:26 AM
XS11E

"Gary" > wrote in:

> I don't normally go to Sears for repairs of any kind, however, I wouldn't
> hesitate if they did A/C repairs because I trust them to not lie about the
> facts. Does Sears do A/C? If not, is there a chain that is reputable?

A. Yes they do.

B. Believe it or not, Manny, Moe and Jack, the Pep Boys.
Old June 29th 05, 03:23 AM
Gary

Yup, I have a Pep Boys near me.

Old July 1st 05, 12:09 PM
Mal Osborne

No idea. Don't have Sears here in Western Australia

We do have MX-5s, but they do not carry a "miata" badging, and have the
steering wheel in the correct place. Perth has a good climate for
convertables, similar to California. I plan to get an MX5 soon.

"Gary" > wrote in message
>I don't normally go to Sears for repairs of any kind, however, I wouldn't
> hesitate if they did A/C repairs because I trust them to not lie about the
> facts. Does Sears do A/C? If not, is there a chain that is reputable?
>

> "Mal Osborne" > wrote in message
>> Yor local aircon guys should have a neat little "sniffer" thing, a probe
>> that can detect tiny quantities of leaking refrigerant and locate the

> leak.
>> Without one of these it may be very difficult to locate a tiny leak like

> you
>> have.
>>

>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> > My '91 Miata A/C seems to have a leak because I get less than a month

> when
>> > have it fully charged. However, it does work effectively for that
>> > month.
>> >
>> > Is there some common area that is the cause of the leak? Tube?

> Connector?
>> > ???
>> >
>> > Also, is it worth fixing the compressor if that happens to be bad, or

> just
>> > get a rebuilt or new one?

92 Golf heater core (A/C) leak Rob Wilson VW water cooled 6 March 27th 05 05:02 AM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 07:01 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
96 Chevy Pickup Intake Leak? bob Technology 2 December 13th 04 02:57 PM