Alternator Belt Break and overheat

Old June 24th 05, 03:51 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:51:37 GMT, MUADIB®
> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:40:18 -0500, "johnboy" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
>>news >>
>>>
>>> Okay. What's the long answer?

>>Everything goes to hell, fast. Scored, destroyed bearing surfaces, warped
>>heads,
>>cylinders, stuck pistons, and sometimes an oil fire for good measure.
>>

>And the case halves got ot hell in handbasket
>too............everything that needs cooling to stay alive and weell
>dies a quick death.

The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I
imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I
know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death"
start?

If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't
notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

-- Christian

<snip>

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
Old June 24th 05, 03:54 PM
Joao Eliseu

Christian M. Mericle > wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:51:37 GMT, MUADIB®
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:40:18 -0500, "johnboy" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>

>>>Everything goes to hell, fast. Scored, destroyed bearing surfaces, warped

>>>heads,
>>>cylinders, stuck pistons, and sometimes an oil fire for good measure.
>>>

>>And the case halves got ot hell in handbasket
>>too............everything that needs cooling to stay alive and weell
>>dies a quick death.

>The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I
>imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I
>know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death"
>start?
>
>If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't
>notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

Two miles in full load or down a hill in neutral?

Old June 24th 05, 07:24 PM
Kevin Holzer

Rookie wrote:
> Honestly when I checked the oil I thought I saw something in there,
> but when I drained it ( 3rd change ) I didn't see anything in it.
> I do know it needs the valves adjusted, so I should find out if
> anything was done when they do those

You might want to have them check the crankshaft's endplay and retorque
the heads and case nuts (or do that yourself, easy if you've gotta
torque wrench and facilities to pull your engine). Ask them to tell you
how far out your valves are (as in right on, a bit out, or miles off),
when you get them done, that may help in determining how bad things are.
How does the engine sound now, after you've gotten new oil in there?
Are you running with a significant loss of power or does everything feel
all right? Does it leak oil? Did it leak oil?
No use worrying about what's already done -- just figure out how to deal
with it and do it. Listen to your engine and compare it to a well
running (and similar to your engine, exhaust specifically) VW engine.
Next time (engine wise), I'd say start from scratch with a mexican or
brazillian long block, or some new one somebody could build for you (or
you could build one for yourself...).

-Kevin
Old June 24th 05, 09:44 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On 24 Jun 2005 07:54:25 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> wrote:

>Christian M. Mericle > wrote:
>>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:51:37 GMT, MUADIB®
> wrote:

>>>And the case halves got ot hell in handbasket
>>>too............everything that needs cooling to stay alive and weell
>>>dies a quick death.

>>The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I
>>imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I
>>know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death"
>>start?
>>
>>If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't
>>notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

>Two miles in full load or down a hill in neutral?

Well, I was just thinking of a "normal" driving situation. How about a
couple of miles on flat road going about 45 or 50.

-- Christian
'71 Bus -- Turtle

Old June 24th 05, 10:00 PM
Joao Eliseu

Christian M. Mericle > wrote:
>On 24 Jun 2005 07:54:25 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> wrote:
>

>>Christian M. Mericle > wrote:

>>>The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I
>>>imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I
>>>know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death"
>>>start?
>>>
>>>If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't
>>>notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

>>Two miles in full load or down a hill in neutral?

>Well, I was just thinking of a "normal" driving situation. How about a
>couple of miles on flat road going about 45 or 50.
>
>-- Christian
>'71 Bus -- Turtle
>
>Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
>World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
>ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

I have no idea...you have to test :-)

Joao
Old June 24th 05, 10:18 PM
John Willis

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:44:45 -0600, Christian M. Mericle
> scribbled this interesting note:

>>>The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I
>>>imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I
>>>know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death"
>>>start?
>>>
>>>If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't
>>>notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

>>Two miles in full load or down a hill in neutral?

>Well, I was just thinking of a "normal" driving situation. How about a
>couple of miles on flat road going about 45 or 50.

Planning on a little experiment?

I wouldn't recommend it. If a light comes on and you don't know,
absolutely for certain why, you need to check it out. And keep the
spares in the vehicle at all times...spare belts, fuses, tire, tools,
fuel line, cables, fuel pump, etc., etc., etc. That way, if a belt
breaks and the light comes on (BTW, test the warning lights
occasionally as well) you can stop, immediately, and fix it.

Why test the warning lights? Why do you think Scott (Muadib) burned up
an engine once? He knew he had a leaky valve cover gasket and had just
bought new ones. He was on his way home to install them. What he
didn't know is the generator light had recently burned out an no
longer worked (recently, as in just that day, if I remember
correctly.) On the freeway, 50 to 70 mph, and all the oil dumped out
of one valve cover when the gasket failed. Didn't take long and he
knew it had happened. In the amount of time it took to exit the
freeway his engine was so much scrap. And that was less than a couple
of minutes.

His next move was to call me and we towed the car the rest of the way.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old June 25th 05, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Rookie wrote:
> Honestly when I checked the oil I thought I saw something in there,
> but when I drained it ( 3rd change ) I didn't see anything in it.
> I do know it needs the valves adjusted, so I should find out if
> anything was done when they do those

You might want to have them check the crankshaft's endplay and
retorque
the heads and case nuts (or do that yourself, easy if you've gotta
torque wrench and facilities to pull your engine). Ask them to tell
you
how far out your valves are (as in right on, a bit out, or miles off),

when you get them done, that may help in determining how bad things
are.
How does the engine sound now, after you've gotten new oil in there?
Are you running with a significant loss of power or does everything
feel
all right? Does it leak oil? Did it leak oil?
No use worrying about what's already done -- just figure out how to
deal
with it and do it. Listen to your engine and compare it to a well
running (and similar to your engine, exhaust specifically) VW engine.

Next time (engine wise), I'd say start from scratch with a mexican or

brazillian long block, or some new one somebody could build for you
(or
you could build one for yourself...).

-Kevin[/quote:895c0bb9f7]

The mechanic at V-Dubs said when he adjusts the valves he is going to
retorque the heads, honestly it sounds and feels fine.
I have not noticed any loss of power. From reading what other people
posted it don't sound like it should be running at all but it is
still strong, just needs the valves adjusted. The engine is a brand
new case all internal parts were brand new with about 3000 miles on
them. Oil changed once a month faithfuly.
There was alot of belt dust on the generator, carb, and engine case.
So it would be a guess, maybe it was able to turn the Generator for a
little bit before it completely shredded? I don't know. But I will
know more once the mechanic calls back. I hope to have it back next
Thursday. They are pretty busy up there.
No oil leak before, haven't noticed any since either...but I have only
driven it from 7-11, where I drove it when the belt shredded, to my
home which is 20 miles. Changed the oil and drove it the 50 miles to
V-Dubs in Irving which is a total of 70 miles. Don't want to put to
many miles on it until the guy checks it all out.

Old June 25th 05, 03:20 AM
Tim Rogers

"Rookie" > wrote in message

> There was alot of belt dust on the generator, carb, and engine case.
> So it would be a guess, maybe it was able to turn the Generator for a
> little bit before it completely shredded?

.................Ah. This sheds a lot more light on your problem. It would
seem that maybe there was a period of time when the belt was slipping while
at the same time still turning the fan enough to provide a little cooling
during at least part of those ten miles after your generator light came on.
I'd consider replacing those heads with a new pair because the aluminum in
them is subject to heat damage in a situation like this. I'm no metallurgist
but it's been said that temps beyond 450 deg. F. cause the aluminum to
become very soft and brittle. While the heads are being replaced, your
mechanic would be able to visually inspect the piston crowns for heat
damage. Another suggestion would be to install an oil pressure gauge to rule
out whether the bearings have been damaged enough to create a low oil
pressure problem.

Old June 25th 05, 03:24 AM
johnboy

> wrote in message
link.net...
> for the serpentine belt system
>
> http://www.bmdpulleys.com/

That's one brand. Here is the one I run
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...yword2=ESM0022

Old June 25th 05, 12:44 PM
tricky

Yeah

No offense to any "europeans" but I like my PINT of beer, I like being
6'2" and 12 Stone. I just ordered a 57' boat without a care for how
many Meters it is :-)
Shame about not being able to buy a gallon of petrol anymore, and I
think these days you learn metric at school :-(
We are still hanging on in there !

Rich