Engine swap

Old June 15th 05, 05:12 PM
Earle Horton

The AX-5 transmission failures that I have heard about seem to involve over
use of fifth gear. Even with the stock 4.11 axle ratio found with the 2.5
liter engine, fifth gear is all but useless except in a tail wind situation.
Imho, the best engine for this vehicle is another 2.5 liter engine.

The transfer case and differential are the same as are used with the six
cylinder engine, except for two differences. The transfer case input
shaft/gear would have to be swapped with a longer part to use it with the
AX-15 engine. This involves disassembly of the transfer case. The
differentials sport 4.11 gears (actually 4.10 front) which is close to the
optimal ratio for most applications. Although the D35C rear axle is not
exactly "wimpy" many prefer the heavier D44 or a Ford 9-inch axle from an
Explorer. Bill has some pics of D35C axle C-clip failures that you might
want to look at.

This vehicle with a six cylinder engine would be a decent rig, but I am not
sure it would be worth the effort required, unless you find that wrecked
vehicle you were talking about. For an off road vehicle, or even one used
in a rural setting, the main thing you are looking for in an engine swap is
reliability. The 2.5 liter will sip fuel on the trail and idle all day
without overheating.

Earle

"William G." > wrote in message
> Hey thanks. I read that the 4 cyl transmission was crap anyway, not

really
> strong enough for the 4 cyl! So now the transplant is getting a bit more
> extensive but not too bad yet. How about the transfer case and
> differentials? Did they put wimpy ones behind the 2.5L? Would they have

> be replaced? Should he just buy a different rig? Don't mind doing the

work

Old June 16th 05, 05:10 AM

Novak doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and further
appear proud of it. Their product line is mostly "Mickey Mouse
Plates"-adapters to adapt the engine's bellhousing to the target
transmission. Building a new bellhousing, while more expensive, is the
right way. They also offer some dubious transmission advice.

Old June 16th 05, 06:36 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Are you aware the stock Jeep used an adapter between the Buick V6
and V8 bellhousings and their Borg Warner T-89, T-90, T-14 and T-15
transmission? Yes, Novak will make an adapter for the AX-15, and
Advanced will not. My first Jeep adapter bought from Advanced was for a
Muncie M-22 to a Dana 20, in '69. First engines into a CJ-5 were the
Buick 350: http://www.billhughes.com/buickV8jeep.jpg and Olds 455, and
of course the 350, and 400" small block Chevys:
http://www.billhughes.com/JeepNOhood.jpg What were your first?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 17th 05, 02:01 AM

I have owned three Jeeps and sorry, have seen fit to keep the 258 in
all three. WOULD I do a swap? Yeah, someday-but it would have to be
free of those pesky ceramic things you thread in the head. Probably an
Axis-built (Jap, Italian or German...) stinky smoky diesel.