Installing Piston Rings, help!

Old March 27th 05, 12:29 AM
Nate Nagel

Mike Romain wrote:

> No one else mentioned it so I will. Make sure the piston ring groove is
> clean. Carbon builds up in there as the old rings wear. There is even
> a special tool for cleaning them.

You mean someone made a tool for something that the broken end of an old
piston ring does beautifully? (boggle)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 28th 05, 06:59 PM
Steve

Masospaghetti wrote:

Secondly, I tried to install the cylinder over
> the piston and it cracked both rings because they *seemed* to be too
> large, even though my rings were standard size

Two words: Ring compressor!

Old March 29th 05, 02:11 AM
The Real Tom

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:59:57 -0600, Steve > wrote:

>Masospaghetti wrote:
>
> Secondly, I tried to install the cylinder over
>> the piston and it cracked both rings because they *seemed* to be too
>> large, even though my rings were standard size

>Two words: Ring compressor!

Four words: You can rent them.

hth,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Old March 29th 05, 03:09 AM

Most rings will have a chamfer around one inner corner; this
chamfer normally goes toward the top of the piston. If there's a dimple
on one side of the ring, that dimple faces the top of the piston. If
you can see that the outer edge of the ring is machined so that it's
not at 90 degrees to the ring's top and bottom faces, install it so
that the edge that contacts the cylinder wall is at the bottom.
Chamfering the inner corner causes the ring to twist when
compressed and makes it seal better against the ring lands in the
piston, and puts the lower outer corner against the cylinder wall for
fast seating and immediate compression and oil control. Machining the
outer edge off-square does the fast-seating thing without the twist.
Dimpling is for identification, since the off-square machining isn't
always visible.

Dan

Piston ring groove questions TeGGer® Technology 5 March 24th 05 02:54 PM
why do car engines get noisier with age? Usual Suspect Technology 28 February 22nd 05 06:25 PM
stuck caliper... Abeness Honda 113 December 7th 04 01:22 AM
Replace piston rings..E30 m20 engine fbloogyudsr BMW 1 November 14th 04 12:28 AM
Honda Orthia need piston rings Stanislav Efremov Honda 0 October 4th 04 03:05 PM