Why are car commercials so dumb?

Old February 8th 05, 08:24 PM
Robert Briggs

> Why do car commercials appeal to the most primitive and nonsensical
> human desires? Case in point is the VW commercial with the idiot
> getting excited about overtaking a car on a curve.

The idiotic VW ad that sticks in my mind is one in which a driver
actually claims to *like* being stuck in a traffic jam because his seat
is so comfortable!
Old February 8th 05, 08:31 PM
Robert Briggs

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Commercials outside the North American market are more often funny and
> clever 'cause it's safe to assume the audience has a sense of humour
> and that some idiot won't sue for hurt feelings after seeing the ad.

Here in the UK, Renault once claimed (of an updated Laguna, IIRC) that
it had "evolved".

Blow me! I thought a bunch of tolerably clever Frenchmen had *designed*
it, but what do I, a mere physicist, know about such things?

Their more recent claim to be "createurs d'automobiles" is a tad more
reassuring, IMNSHO.
Old February 8th 05, 10:46 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

I wouldn't be in favor of banning irresponsible car commercials. I'm
opposed to censorship. I think the automakers should practice some
self-restraint, however.

As far as Brent's LLB posting, I don't approve of LLBs at all. But all I see
in that post is two drivers getting into a macho road rage situation. I'm
glad no one got hurt or killed. This is exactly what I mean by
testosterone-induced driving. "Hey, I'm a big tough man. I'm don't like you
blocking my path. My friends on rec.autos driving reinforce my notion that
LLB is a terrible thing and that I have a right, even an obligation to teach
you a lesson, which I can do because I'm a big tough man in a tough car with
lots of horsepower."

What's wrong with backing off and relaxing for a while until you can safely
pass the guy? Guess you figure that makes you a girlie-man?

Sorry. All of this macho behavior is infantile and exactly what we don't
need on our highways. Your engine-size doesn't impress me ... at all. Try
getting your emotions under control while driving. That'll impress me.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old February 9th 05, 12:16 AM
Salmon Ellison

>>> You thinking of Herbie?

>> Herbie is a movie, not a commercial.

> That was a joke, not a serious statement.

Actually VW did have an ad of a beetle floating. I believe the ad copy was
something like:

"The VW will definitely float, but it will not float indefinitely."

http://www.hvwc.net/movies/dunk-bug.html

Old February 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Salmon Ellison

> VW is actually a good client. Your memory may be short, but back in
> the 1990s it did some absolutely terrific work, "Mr. Roboto" being
> one of the funniest and smartest commercials I've ever seen.

Seriously? What was at all good about it? The guys sinigng?

Old February 9th 05, 12:19 AM
Salmon Ellison

Have you seen the VW suicide bomber ad?

http://www.boreme.com/bm/JAN05/a/vw-...-bomber/fr.htm

Old February 9th 05, 12:20 AM
Salmon Ellison

How about http://www.bizbag.com/Cartoons/kennedy.htm ?

Old February 9th 05, 12:34 AM
Salmon Ellison

>. The
> Dodge truck ads are by far the worst. We all know a car/truck/wagon
> with a Hemi will be quick.

You might think the Dodge truck ads are stupid, but you sure are parroting
the HEMI mantra just like they want you to.

All I can think of is the moron redneck teaching his child to spout "hemi!"
whenever I hear it.

Old February 9th 05, 02:45 AM
Jim Yanik

"Anthony Giorgianni" >
wrote in :

> Let me clarify
>
> I think Scott should obey speed limits just like everyone else (should
> obey speed limits). Of course, if anyone thinks it's okay for me to
> disobey any law I don't like, maybe we can talk.

It's called "civil disobedience".
That's how the 55 MPH NMSL was finally discarded.
Massive disobedience of it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old February 9th 05, 01:58 PM
Tom D

"Salmon Ellison" > wrote in message
> Have you seen the VW suicide bomber ad?
>
> http://www.boreme.com/bm/JAN05/a/vw-...-bomber/fr.htm

From what I've read, this was not an ad put out by VW, but rather an ad
produced by an independent party not affiliated with VW.

-=- Tom

Dumb Question.... cassie Mazda 5 February 5th 05 03:43 PM
Dodge truck commercials... N8N Driving 3 January 25th 05 03:29 AM
Fat, Dumb Trucker Makes Fun of Californians Johnny Lately Driving 18 January 6th 05 07:05 PM
Dumb accident with '86 TQ, question about bent frame cp Audi 10 December 22nd 04 10:44 PM
A dumb question: Smaller offset wheels vs lowering Stu General 5 April 1st 04 03:19 PM