To AAL or re-arch?

Old January 31st 05, 06:00 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default To AAL or re-arch?

I've got an OT car with sagging rear leaf springs. It's a back-up daily
driver. Anyhow, I really want to fix the sagging rear (it's been irriating
me for years now). Is it better to get long add-a-leaf's or to have the rear
springs re-arched?

Thanks,

Carl

Old January 31st 05, 07:42 AM
Jim Warman

My choice would be to have the springs re-arched.... adding an extra leaf to
the pack seems to help as well though the ride will get a little rougher.

Jim Warman

Old January 31st 05, 12:48 PM
Carl Saiyed

Thanks, Jim. Any thoughs on how much the service will cost and how long it
will take? Will the ride change consierably?

Carl

Old January 31st 05, 01:06 PM
.boB

Carl Saiyed wrote:

> I've got an OT car with sagging rear leaf springs. It's a back-up daily
> driver. Anyhow, I really want to fix the sagging rear (it's been irriating
> me for years now). Is it better to get long add-a-leaf's or to have the rear
> springs re-arched?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

The spring sags because the metal gets weak and
loses it's "spring". If you re-arch them, you have not
gained that ability back. And unless it's done right,
you'll lose even more.
Check in to the price of new springs. Sometimes,
there's very little difference in cost between new and
re-arched.
Also, consider simple spring blocks or a longer
shackle.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old January 31st 05, 07:22 PM
MadDAWG

"Carl Saiyed" > wrote in message
> I've got an OT car with sagging rear leaf springs. It's a back-up daily
> driver. Anyhow, I really want to fix the sagging rear (it's been irriating
> me for years now). Is it better to get long add-a-leaf's or to have the

rear
> springs re-arched?

Why not just replace the springs? Leaf springs are not the expensive. I
bought a brand new set for my Explorer for $75 each.

MadDAWG

Old January 31st 05, 07:42 PM
Jim Warman

Personally, the cars that I have treated to an extra leaf always seem to
drive nicer. The feel is a little crisper.... something I like.

Been a long time since I've been around a spring shop... I worked in one in
the 70s and we re-arched a lot of car springs. I would think 2 to 3 hours to
re&re the packs, a couple of hours between the rebuild and hammermill, and
maybe a $100 or so in leaves and hardware - maybe a bit more if the bushings
in the eyes are gone (remember, I'm thinking in Loonies and not
Washingtons).

Best bet is to phone spring shops in your area for a quote...

Jim

Old January 31st 05, 07:47 PM
Jim Warman

Actually, there's not much lost in the way of "spring".... the springs sag
through the same dynamics that the hammermill can unsag them. The continuous

Longer shackles usually introduce a modicum of instability since they tend
to "rack" more than the shorter stock shackles. Most of the installations I
have seen tend to bend the back 1/3 of the spring down rather than bring
ride height back.

. com...